Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Basically they're trying to copy what RSL and KC have been doing instead of trying to keep up with LA and Seattle.

RSL got lucky. They managed to sign 4-5 perfect South American players whereas most teams strike out on at least a few. It's not easy and requires a lot of luck.

Oh, also scouting and willingness to pull the trigger on medium-range salaries which Red Bull is unwilling to do.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

[url="http://www.sbisoccer.com/2014/12/ready-approach-begins.html"]

Basically they're trying to copy what RSL and KC have been doing instead of trying to keep up with LA and Seattle.

Like throwing around the term "moneyball," talking about "copying KC and RSL" is a fig leaf for being cheap, and should be rightly regarded by anyone with any common sense at complete horseshit.

Kansas City and RSL have a critical difference from Red Bull.

Both teams have local ownership that comes from and understands the community they represent. There's not a disconnect between fans and owners because the owners see themselves as accountable to the fans and to the community. Owners hire executives who know how to speak to and sell soccer to locals. This generates a tremendous amount of goodwill for the ownership - goodwill that DOES NOT EXIST for the high-handed, Austria-based Red Bull ownership.

The only reason that KC and RSL are cited is because they have successfully built good teams on a lower budget than other teams, but the idea that Red Bull can claim to be able to copy just the efficiency of those two teams without making any other changes to its organizational culture is cherry-picking at its worst. I would say it also mirrors the arrogance of Red Bull, except I think Red Bull is selling us a bunch of bullshit - they know perfectly well that they chances of being able to implement an entirely new philosophy and have league leading success is close to nil. They're just trying to skimp on expenses to run this team, but are telling placating lies to us to keep the fan revolts to a minimum.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

They really couldn't have fucked up this year more.

Stick around. On one hand they have already out done themselves this year but on the other it is still only June. The one thing RBGmbH has shown consistently over the last 10 years is they have no memory when it comes to fucking things up.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
By the way - don't let them snow you about "moneyball". If you're going to do analytics in a way that makes a real competitive difference, you have to invest serious resources into people and systems. The idea is that it's cheaper to hire a team of stats collectors and analysts than a few high contract players. In MLS, that isn't necessarily true - total annual salary expenses are low in this league, even for the teams that spend the most. But more importantly, there isn't any evidence that Red Bull is doing anything above and beyond what other teams are doing.

Are they hiring third party analytics companies? Did they hire an in house analytics team (doubtful as there wasn't a job opening advertised anywhere)? Are they sending people to produce and collect data that currently doesn't exist on players that would be available to them (non-MLS players, since there is no free agency in MLS)?

Saying "moneyball" is a way for Red Bull to try to cover up for the fact that they will not spend competitively in MLS. If you believe that there is any substance to Red Bull going to a "moneyball" strategy, God help you because there is obviously no lie from RB that you will not happily swallow.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I am going to practice "Moneyball" next season by buying tickets to the games I want to attend for $5 off Stub Hub and not wearing any branded merchandise or buying any concessions at the stadium. Like Red Bull, I can also go cheap.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Stick around. On one hand they have already out done themselves this year but on the other it is still only June. The one thing RBGmbH has shown consistently over the last 10 years is they have no memory when it comes to fucking things up.

Oh I know. I've been here for it all. I just think this year is even worse because now there is another mls option which people haven't had the option of in years past. We really dropped the ball.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
RSL post Kreis has been less than stellar. They're struggling this year pretty badly.

#RedBullOut

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

I am going to practice "Moneyball" next season by buying tickets to the games I want to attend for $5 off Stub Hub and not wearing any branded merchandise or buying any concessions at the stadium. Like Red Bull, I can also go cheap.

This post sums it all up. For the higher ups to be so tone deaf to the fans and lax in marketing THIS year is completely mind boggling. I'm not renewing next year barring a catastrophic turn of events. I'll simply go to a few games in '16, follow on TV and I will no longer buy anything RB related. I'll also make sure whoever I go with drives so I can drink to mask the pain.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Bump.

This team needs to start signing players or else were going to have write a song:

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I predict RBNY's TV ratings are going to improve by a few thousand viewers per match next season when all the season ticket holders who don't renew tune in.

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

A new name to know: Jochen Schneider

https://translate.go...965af5599c.html

The old sports director of VfB Stuttgart takes over in Salzburg a new role as coordinator of the four Red Bull clubs in Leipzig, New York, Sao Paulo and Salzburg.

What makes a Coordinator Sport global soccer anyway? Jochen Schneider (45) know that either now or at any rate soon, since October 12, he took over this position in the Austrian beverage company Red Bull in the Salzburg headquarters of blossoming company. - 2014 sales amounted to 5.1 billion euros - should he focus on synergies produced for four RB-football sites in Leipzig, New York, São Paulo and Salzburg, the task of Schneider is to find ways how to foster these clubs mutually and can help to achieve their goals - at RB Leipzig about the leap into the Bundesliga.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Does this guy have any input on the football side of things?  I read that and now I'm super confused as to what he actually does.

#RedBullOut

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

A new name to know: Jochen Schneider

https://translate.go...965af5599c.html

Life is too short to worry about some suit in Austria. Team is playing well, just enjoy the game.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

#BreadBowlOut

Too many calories.

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Does this guy have any input on the football side of things?  I read that and now I'm super confused as to what he actually does.

I'm unsure but I'd guess so, as he was the sporting director at Stuttgart. Mintzlaff and Houllier are still there, and an article I read sort of grouped the three of them together, but who knows. I've never had a full idea of what Mintzlaff's on-field/off-field responsibilities are either. I mean, he's Global Head of Soccer, and he went to a RBNY practice, but he's also the guy Ader contacted regarding a sale. Red Bull seems to like to mix on and off field stuff.

Life is too short to worry about some suit in Austria. Team is playing well, just enjoy the game.

So, wins are the only things that affect supporters? Have you gotten into multitasking? It really opens life's options up. Thought I'd reciprocate the advice.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users