#1 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

a little early, but some news for bruin fans.

Howland agrees to new 7-year deal

#2 rokstedy

rokstedy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy & USA

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Got my renewal form for Cal State Fullerton. And masochistic as I am, I'm renewing. Let's see how they underachieve again.
"Last month I was in the Canary Islands, and I met up with Armada Sur, the supporters group for CD Tenerife. When the subject of MLS comes up one of the first things they ask me about is if I've heard of the Riot Squad and they mention that one of them has a LARS shirt, and describes the gask mask guy logo.

Halfway around the world and I can't get away from you guys?!?!"

Jasonma, from your other favorite message board, BigSoccer, which has become BigStupid

GOATS NEVER, GALAXY FOREVER!

#3 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

opening polls are out. UCLA ranked #2 Gonna be a crazy year in westwood.

I think SC came in around 18, but if Mayo is as good as they're hyping him to be, they will probably move up. Those crosstown games are going to be a lot of fun to watch this year.

#4 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

I think Florida not making the top 25 is the right call despite going back to back.

#5 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

hopefully, with recent trips to the final 4, the bruins can make that final push and win the championship this upcoming season. sucks afflalo left but, we have a damn solid team. GO BRUINS!
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#6 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

I think SC came in around 18, but if Mayo is as good as they're hyping him to be, they will probably move up. Those crosstown games are going to be a lot of fun to watch this year.

as happy as i am to have one year of Mayo, i think what will move the trojans into a legit top 15 program is our coach, not mayo.

but, having mayo doesn't hurt :)

#7 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

as happy as i am to have one year of Mayo, i think what will move the trojans into a legit top 15 program is our coach, not mayo.

but, having mayo doesn't hurt :)

Or the boo$ter$ who convinced him to come to

#8 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Or the boo$ter$ who convinced him to come to

you are joking right? don't even go there, as a bruin your program wrote the book on how to succeed by way of corruption. need i refer to bill walton's book???? good lord . . .

admit it, for the first time you are jealous of SC's basketball program, because we landed mayo. you knew the "we didn't want him anyway" crap wouldn't fly, so you had to go the pay for play route. jealousy is indeed a bitch, yes?

btw, congrats on your showing against the Pac10 northwestern powerhouse last saturday :P it will be fun watching ucla loose all of its remaining games.

my apologies, as i should have saved that for the football thread.

#9 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

admit it, for the first time you are jealous of SC's basketball program, because we landed mayo. you knew the "we didn't want him anyway" crap wouldn't fly, so you had to go the pay for play route. jealousy is indeed a bitch, yes?

I'm quite happy with Kevin Love, thank you :)

#10 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

Got my renewal form for Cal State Fullerton. And masochistic as I am, I'm renewing. Let's see how they underachieve again.

I think the underachieving crown is being fitted for Long Beach State as we speak.

New coach, new players, high expectations = Galaxy 2007

#11 Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars Black

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

If you sleep on USC this season, OJ Mayo might have to punch you...

I'm as big an SC hoops fan as they come, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I think Mayo's gonna do more harm than good. I can't imagine he'll be a good influence on the overall team morale. He knows he's one-and-done, so what's his motivation to gel with teammates? Kid just needs to get his stats and get paid. If he's so good, why didn't Gabe Pruitt stick around rather than leave to get drafted in the 2nd round with a non-guaranteed NBA contract?

Also, don't give USC boosters a bad name. Mayo's getting paid by street-agent pimps and shoe people, not white-haired dudes in cardinal and gold sweaters.

That said, I'd trade a few NCAA tourney appearances to get rid of Floyd. Something's rotten in the state of Troy.

#12 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

Also, don't give USC boosters a bad name. Mayo's getting paid by street-agent pimps and shoe people, not white-haired dudes in cardinal and gold sweaters.

That said, I'd trade a few NCAA tourney appearances to get rid of Floyd. Something's rotten in the state of Troy.

thank you. a trojan fan with some sense... i don't really care what ucla did in the walton era, i wasn't even born yet, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say howland's doing it right. there's something rotten with floyd there.

i guess there is the chance that floyd isn't doing something wrong and he's totally legit, but it just smells funny.

lastly, (this is for guy saying ucla was jealous) saying bruin fan is jealous of usc fan in the game of hoops is ridiculous. yes usc is a growing program, and yes they have a good, exciting team this year, but ucla has championship banners that make them shrug when usc thinks they are in the same league. much like usc laughs when ucla thinks they are equals in fooooozball.

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#13 Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:06 AM

I don't think Floyd is a cheat per se, I think he just knowingly ignores bad situations surrounding the kids he recruits. As a result, the shady characters that surround the kids know that Floyd isn't going to chase them away, so they're okay steering these kids towards his program.

That said, while Floyd probably isn't a cheat, he's definitely not a good guy. He unceremoniously runs off kids left and right when they don't meet his expectations, or worse, he needs to free up a scholarship. He's also not above hiring guys onto his staff for the sole purpose of getting them to deliver certain recruits. Although a pompus blob, I would've taken my chances with Majerus.

And yes, Ben Howland runs things more or less on the level (although you never know when you get in bed with Sonny Vaccaro). The only thing duller than his personality is his style of play, but he knows how to find guys that fit his system and overachieve. I'm also a big Big East fan, and what he did at Pitt was remarkable. He really knows how to get his teams to get down and dirty and play blue-collar ball.

I would've loved if USC had dumped Henry Bibby a year sooner and made a serious run at Mike Anderson from UAB (before he jumped to Missouri). It would've been awesome to see the contrast in style with USC running the old Nolan Richardson '40 Minutes of Hell' system, while Howland ran his grinding system at UCLA. Really would've spiced up the rivalry. The past 5-6 years there really hasn't been much juice in USC/UCLA hoops rivalry. I think both teams probably got up more for Arizona and Stanford than each other. Hope that changes.

Also, I think Long Beach St. will be good eventually under Monson. Guy got a raw deal at Minnesota, he never really had a chance after all the sanctions and trouble Clem Haskins got that program into. He's the guy who built the foundation at Gonzaga after all. Then again, anyone's better than the crook who was at Long Beach before.

#14 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

lastly, (this is for guy saying ucla was jealous) saying bruin fan is jealous of usc fan in the game of hoops is ridiculous. yes usc is a growing program, and yes they have a good, exciting team this year, but ucla has championship banners that make them shrug when usc thinks they are in the same league. much like usc laughs when ucla thinks they are equals in fooooozball.

the point 'that guy' (me) was making is as follows: when a bruin fan bashes on mayo for no reason, it shows jealousy; period. if mayo coming to usc didn't bother the bruin, it would not have been brought up. additionally, as a booster for usc (yes, i am), i take it very seriously any time that some putz makes unfounded claims.

there is nothing wrong with usc's basketball program, and believe me if there was the NCAA would be all over us. please do me the favor of backing up any claims with at least an attempt at a factual basis. i am happy as hell with floyd, and i say if you don't like him cool . . . i couldn't give a rats ass. the guy is winning, bringing in solid recruits and i haven't heard boo about any violations. personally, i cant think of a program in the country that wouldn't consider him a candidate if they had an opening.

i expect that neither of you (olesh or tracer) attended the university and are probably just bandwagon jumpers . . . so give it a rest. and if either of you are graduates, you should be embarassed for slamming your school and implying that there is something 'illegal' going on in the basketball program (considering that there has not been one public allogation).

#15 Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

I never said Floyd was a cheater, I just said he was a bad guy...And with boosters, I have no problem with you guys whatsoever. I have a problem with the hangers-on that are looking to make a buck off the players.

With Mayo, I suspect you have a lot of the same stuff going on behind the scenes as you had with Reggie Bush. The coaching staff just buries their head in the sand. That said, I don't think it should be the coaching staff's responsibility to babysit these "men" 24/7 off the court, so they shouldn't get blamed for who their recruits (or recruits families) associate with.

Like it or not, the world of college basketball is a lot like chinese food. It's tasty to consume, but you don't want to see how it's made...

And yes, believe it or not, I attended USC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users