https://www.mlssocce...ad-coaching-job

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Well deserved for the original club legend.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Petke at RSL, Gio at Portland. Strange world, Dr. Jones.

(I guess Gio played at NE, and Petke at DC. Still.)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Gio has shown to be a superior coach. Portland is making a smart decision.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Good move for Portland.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Really interested to see how he does in MLS.

If he didn't earn a shot based on performance in years past, he definitely deserves one after the success he had with the hastily put together Cosmos team he had last season.

MattGP

MattGP

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Good for Gio.

Also interesting: Twellman reports that Portland tried to hire Marsch, but the Red Bulls wouldn't let them.

http://www.espn.com/...timbers-sources

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah... Seen the Marsch report in a couple of spots. When you factor in the money that this team spends, it's pretty clear that Marsch has the team playing way over their head.  We are basically a coach away from being Philly.  And I think Metro denying permission is more Marsch just not being interested.  Even though he would have more resources with Portland, he wouldn't have full control over there while he does have that here.  Plus it's close to home in Princeton so I think that's an advantage as well.

As for Gio, I actually think he's a very good coach.  Like extremely good.  Curious to see what happens there because he's being given a massive opportunity.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

When Gio visits, he better be serenaded like 1996!

Gi-o-vanni! Sa-va-rese!

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Yeah... Seen the Marsch report in a couple of spots. When you factor in the money that this team spends, it's pretty clear that Marsch has the team playing way over their head.  We are basically a coach away from being Philly.  And I think Metro denying permission is more Marsch just not being interested.  Even though he would have more resources with Portland, he wouldn't have full control over there while he does have that here.  Plus it's close to home in Princeton so I think that's an advantage as well.

As for Gio, I actually think he's a very good coach.  Like extremely good.  Curious to see what happens there because he's being given a massive opportunity.

I think Marsch has his sights on managing in Europe eventually, and Red Bull has a lot more connections over there than Portland does.

Besides that, Portland isn't really an upgrade on the Red Bulls.  There are 4 or 5 prestige jobs in MLS at this point - Galaxy, Atlanta, Toronto, Seattle? - and a few jobs that are obviously worse than others - Colorado, Minnesota, D.C., Philly, New England.  It makes sense for a manager to leave their club for one of those big 4, or to leave one of those bottom 5 for any of the teams I didn't list.  To go from New York to Portland (or Montreal to Columbus, or RSL to San Jose, etc.) is a lateral move at best.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

When Gio visits, he better be serenaded like 1996!

Gi-o-vanni! Sa-va-rese!

I wish he were coaching us. Any thought that he wasn't a great coach was killed deader than a doornail this year. He took a team that he literally had about a month to assemble to the NASL title game and got there by beating possibly the best D2 team in the country in Miami (who had a payroll comparable to bottom MLS sides). To put it in perspective that Miami team beat SF (The eventual champ) 7-0 during the regular season, and the Cosmos beat Miami twice in the regular season.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He'll have some resources at Portland, but won't have much in terms of reserve players and draftees. I think they've pretty much struck out on both. He'll have to adjust with a short-ish bench. 

They still have Valeri, even though they lost Nagbe and a Chinese Super League team is supposedly after Adi. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users