ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

I bet we'll hear a signing in at least 60-90 days.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I bet we'll hear a signing in at least 60-90 days.

Hear?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Hear?

Hear about

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Parker out and Reyes in is a net loss for me.... would like to make some roster improvements soon. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Parker out and Reyes in is a net loss for me.... would like to make some roster improvements soon. 

and I mean confirmed roster improvements. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

As it stands now (+Reyes, +Carmona, -Parker), do you think the team is better than last year?

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

As it stands now (+Reyes, +Carmona, -Parker), do you think the team is better than last year?

No of course not, Reyes is not yet at Parker's level and Carmona is a project at the club's own admission.

But I also am fully convinced Thelwell is not done making moves.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

No of course not, Reyes is not yet at Parker's level and Carmona is a project at the club's own admission.

But I also am fully convinced Thelwell is not done making moves.

Is this a serious question?

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
The heading should be changed to when will we sign new players we actually know are good...

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

When Thelwell was signed, I thought that meant that the purse strings would be loosened to try to build a winner because why else would he make such a career change.  Now I am becoming increasingly unsure.  I think he may just have moved for the money offered because RB thought he would be very good at finding and developing talent to transfer to Europe.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

When Thelwell was signed, I thought that meant that the purse strings would be loosened to try to build a winner because why else would he make such a career change.  Now I am becoming increasingly unsure.  I think he may just have moved for the money offered because RB thought he would be very good at finding and developing talent to transfer to Europe.  

I'd be really surprised if we're paying him more than an EPL team

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Is this a serious question?

Well there's some sort of weird equation I guess - how many unproven prospects equal a starting CB? 

Does  +Reyes, +Carmona, +Harper, +Edwards, -Parker equal net positive in terms of roster quality? I sort of think that does. 

Sort of doing some mid-day version of late night bullshitting. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

this is a valid concern.  i think thats for sure part of his mandate.  At least for now i naively think we benefit from having NY finally developing players that are good enough for Europe regularly when coupled with some of the more experienced players we have on the roster.  Frankly though we still dont have a marker for what a "big Thelwell signing" looks like to see if he knows that part of the market too in the context of the RB budget. 

His background is academy / youth development so i assuming all the younger Carmona type signings generally will be solid but thats only part of the job.  Only thing that calms me is the guys we've been linked to are good (Toney, Haksa) but i dont know if he can find that level of first team talent for $4mm.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I think the purse strings are open, but they are expecting a decent shot of a return on sale to Europe. I'm not sure you are ever going to get much more than $10MM on a sale from MLS to Europe. That means you should acquire players that are south of $4MM. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

this is a valid concern.  i think thats for sure part of his mandate.  At least for now i naively think we benefit from having NY finally developing players that are good enough for Europe regularly when coupled with some of the more experienced players we have on the roster.  Frankly though we still dont have a marker for what a "big Thelwell signing" looks like to see if he knows that part of the market too in the context of the RB budget. 

His background is academy / youth development so i assuming all the younger Carmona type signings generally will be solid but thats only part of the job.  Only thing that calms me is the guys we've been linked to are good (Toney, Haksa) but i dont know if he can find that level of first team talent for $4mm.

If we are bringing in players like Clark, Carmona, etc. with an eye towards moving them up the pipeline or selling them elsewhere I dont see why some of the constraints on player acquisition cant be loosened.

I wouldnt doubt that it is still a Thelwell/Struber preference to bring in younger players like a Haksabanovic, who would also have potential sell on value.

but...

If they are going to balk at slightly higher valuations they should be able to skew a little older with those top of the roster signings and have a couple of players they can build around with the more moveable assets for 3-4 seasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users