Is Clark a starting attacking midfielder?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Now, we just need ... a replacement for Kaku.

Do you mean add a CAM or are adding a DP, because the CAM is here - it's Caden Clark.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Do you mean add a CAM or are adding a DP, because the CAM is here - it's Caden Clark.

Yeah, I'm not sold on Clark as the starting attacking midfielder.  

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I am  :cheers:

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Unless he gets in Struber dog house for some reason, hes going to be the starter.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Unless he gets in Struber dog house for some reason, hes going to be the starter.

He's also 17. He probably shouldn't start more than 20 or so games unless we're trying to ruin his physical development.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

He's also 17. He probably shouldn't start more than 20 or so games unless we're trying to ruin his physical development.

Sure, but I doubt were bringing in a DP to start over him. Hes going to the majority of minutes in that role.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He's also 17..

18 by Memorial Day!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Yes, he is a starting CAM. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I've pretty torn on this...

Adams was an equal talent and we most certainly did not hand him the starting #6 role without question after 200 professional minutes. Imo you have to show up for a little bit longer than that to earn such an important position in the starting lineup.

But then again, lots of people a lot smarter than I am truly believe he's the real deal.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Someone pointed it out to me that if he's going to RBL or wherever, got have him out there. And remember Marsch said himself that they took it slow with Tyler. 

IMO, looks like they're not doing that with Clark. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Sure, but I doubt were bringing in a DP to start over him. Hes going to the majority of minutes in that role.

Which is one of the problems with this team.

Teams that realistically compete for the MLS Cup have guys like Zelarayan or Lodeiro or Pozuelo starting in the center of midfield.  We've got a 17 year old with about 4 games of MLS experience.

And I'm not down on Clark.  He might be great at some point, but I don't know that it will be this year.  I'd love to see him get lots of minutes this year, just not as the starting CAM.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Clark's ceiling is better than most mls cams. We already saw what he's capable of doing with amazing goals that no one else on our current roster is capable of scoring.

The problem is he was also largely invisible in his other games. And to be a starting #10 you can't afford to disappear because then the whole team suffers, and it's not like you have the liberty of another Clark off the bench to spell him.

I think Clark starts this year and we play through some of his invisible games. He's more than good enough to carry us through some close games, and can hopefully develop additional skills to become an every game impact player, not just a once in awhile impact player.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Teams that realistically compete for the MLS Cup have guys like Zelarayan or Lodeiro or Pozuelo starting in the center of midfield.  We've got a 17 year old with about 4 games of MLS experience.

This is really what it comes down to... so much of the conversation around Clark is about his long term potential, what he means for our academy, our relationship with Leipzig.

Very few people have asked the question - does he make us more likely to win MLS Cup in 2021 than going out and getting own own Valeri, Lodeiro, Pozuelo? 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I've pretty torn on this...

Adams was an equal talent and we most certainly did not hand him the starting #6 role without question after 200 professional minutes.

The team wasnt shitty then.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

The team wasnt shitty then.

The team wasn't, but Adam's competition at holding midfield was. Davis has always been an awful #6. 

Clark's got even less competition at the #10 now but for me that's all the more reason to go buy someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users