Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

reason why i start keita is to give him a full runout for 45 with Muyl hustling behind him at LWB. if Keita's tank isn't on E yet, sub him out in the 55'-60'. Royer or Veron 1st off, then maybe Etienne when the other parks the bus near the end. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Save Royer for maybe the game before the US Open Cup. Dude hasn't trained yet we don't need him hitting a setback for the playoffs.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Who's the best?

Seriously. Can someone tell me? 

Fire Fire Fire!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think Taxi is too good as one of the CB's in this formation.  He's gotta play there.  Also don't like Murillo in the back 3.  More at wingback.  Perfect world, I'd actually get rid of the idea of Long being in the middle of the back 3.  I like him more in at LCB or RCB because he doesn't handle that middle spot as well.  Would move Escobar there.  This is what I think we see though.  Happy to see Keita get a full game.

-------------BWP-----------

----Keita--Sacha--Muyl

Adams----Felipe----Murillo

---Taxi----Long---Escobar

Also don't like Veron at the midfield spots either.  Playing guys out of position rarely works and he's said himself that he wants to play up top.  Keep him in the role he wants and likes.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think Taxi is too good as one of the CB's in this formation.  He's gotta play there.  

You just lose so much attacking ability without Taxi on the left side, he's the only one who can actually get service in from that spot. Adams played well enough defensively on that side but doesn't look like he's got the left foot to make anything dangerous happen.

I think the dropoff at LWB from Taxi to Adams/Lade/Zizzo is much larger than the dropoff at CB from Taxi to Murillo.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Also don't like Veron at the midfield spots either.  Playing guys out of position rarely works and he's said himself that he wants to play up top.  Keep him in the role he wants and likes.

And Muyl likes to play in an attacking role, but he should be playing as a wingback.  And Adams wants to play CDM, but has to play as wingback because we have Felipe.  Sometimes guys have to play out of their preferred position.  Veron can play on the wing and has done so with decent results (SEE MONTREAL 2016 PLAYOFFS, SEE 2017 PHILLY GAME in PHILLY).

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Taxi at CB is a waste of so much attacking talent. Before the gold cup, he was arguably our best chance creator.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

And Muyl likes to play in an attacking role, but he should be playing as a wingback.  And Adams wants to play CDM, but has to play as wingback because we have Felipe.  Sometimes guys have to play out of their preferred position.  Veron can play on the wing and has done so with decent results (SEE MONTREAL 2016 PLAYOFFS, SEE 2017 PHILLY GAME in PHILLY).

Muyl is bad at both spots but he'd absolutely prefer to be in one of those attacking mid spots. 

As far as Adams goes, he's said he views himself as an 8, not as a 6.  Who knows what position he wants to play in this formation. 

With Veron, wing in this formation is different than what we used in the games you mention so it's worth taking that into account.

Either way, Veron generally doesn't look as good at wing compared to what he looked like up top.  I don't think those wing spots play to his strengths and I do think playing up top does play to his strengths.  Have said that forever now.  All that said, go ahead and play Veron.  I don't think it's going to work out all that well but maybe it's worth seeing again.  I don't like Muyl at all and he's the only real alternative right now.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

You just lose so much attacking ability without Taxi on the left side, he's the only one who can actually get service in from that spot. Adams played well enough defensively on that side but doesn't look like he's got the left foot to make anything dangerous happen.

I think the dropoff at LWB from Taxi to Adams/Lade/Zizzo is much larger than the dropoff at CB from Taxi to Murillo.

Disagree.  I agree in that at first I thought that Taxi would be perfect for that LWB spot but a couple of things go into my thinking.  1, he didn't exactly look great when he's played in that LWB spot.  2, I think Taxi is beyond elite when he's playing at the LCB position.  Murillo is just awful with his positioning.  He doesn't anticipate attacking plays either.   You can live with that if the guy was playing RB in a usual 4 man back line but not as one of the CB's in the 3 man back line.  Lastly, we have a need at CB.  Keep Zizzo off the field.  Collin is a huge loss this season with the injuries too.  The only three healthy guys that I trust and feel good about are when it's Taxi, Long, and Escobar.  Perinelle next up on that.  Murillo after Perinelle. Maybe Lade if he was given some more time to get used to it again.  

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Taxi at CB is a waste of so much attacking talent. Before the gold cup, he was arguably our best chance creator.

Agree, but team needs have changed that.  We don't have 3 defenders good enough for this formation.  There are too many moments where they play in space so speed is at a premium.  Taxi, Escobar, and Long are the only 3 with speed outside of ZIzzo and ZIzzo stinks.

If Collin ever gets healthy this season, I would feel OK pushing Taxi back outside.  Collin isn't fast but he's good enough at anticipating to make up for it.  Plus gets some damn size on the field because lately we have NO size in the box and we are going to die in the playoffs without it.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

1, he didn't exactly look great when he's played in that LWB spot.  2, I think Taxi is beyond elite when he's playing at the LCB position.  

Not being strong at LWB is crazy talk to me lol. He's got a goal and five assists from that spot, and is the only one on the team even able to provide service from that flank, let alone find a teammate with it.

Has he actually played CB for us more than once this season, or more than 3-4 times overall? I don't think he's ever played their for Jamaica either. I don't doubt that he's capable there but curious what you've seen that you think makes him elite there. 

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Murillo played center back a lot based on his panama highlights, so I dont see why the solution isn't simply Lawrence-Long-Escobar-Murillo-Adams. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Muyl is bad at both spots but he'd absolutely prefer to be in one of those attacking mid spots. 

As far as Adams goes, he's said he views himself as an 8, not as a 6.  Who knows what position he wants to play in this formation. 

With Veron, wing in this formation is different than what we used in the games you mention so it's worth taking that into account.

Either way, Veron generally doesn't look as good at wing compared to what he looked like up top.  I don't think those wing spots play to his strengths and I do think playing up top does play to his strengths.  Have said that forever now.  All that said, go ahead and play Veron.  I don't think it's going to work out all that well but maybe it's worth seeing again.  I don't like Muyl at all and he's the only real alternative right now.

Muyl is a better wingback than attacking player.

Whether Adams wants to be a 6 or 8, he wants to play centrally, not as fullback or wingback.

Veron doesn't do great when he needs as the second forward or as a 10, but as winger, when all he needs to do is run, cross, take guys on 1v1, press, he's fine. He's had more success as a line forward, but he's better than the Muyl, Grella, etc. at wing right now.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Not being strong at LWB is crazy talk to me lol. He's got a goal and five assists from that spot, and is the only one on the team even able to provide service from that flank, let alone find a teammate with it.

Has he actually played CB for us more than once this season, or more than 3-4 times overall? I don't think he's ever played their for Jamaica either. I don't doubt that he's capable there but curious what you've seen that you think makes him elite there. 

Jamaica plays their fullbacks unbelievably defensive.  I think they are totally wasting them too because their fullbacks may be the best players on their team.   Anyway, with the way they play them, it's basically in a very similar way to how our LCB plays.

And Taxi is perfect as a fullback.  The left wing back spot is just different from that.  LIke I love Adams at the RWB spot, but would hate to play him at RB in a 4 man back line.   The different positions use different skillsets.  Just the way I see the players, certainly doesn't mean I'm right.

The biggest reason above them all though is that we have very few guys to trust at the 3 true defensive positions.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users