• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hachiko

Hachiko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:LA Galaxy, all codes of football, sports in general, anime, manga, photography, illustrations, blogging. Grad student at Keller GSM.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Melb. Victory, AUS, USA

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

Doing a little necromancy to add to the list.

Don't forget...

LA Riptide (Lacrosse)
Long Beach Armada (baseball)
Orange County Blue Star (soccer, PDL)
Los Angeles Storm (soccer, PDL)
San Fernando Valley (soccer, PDL)
Hachiko: LA Galaxy fan since 2002.
MLS 2011: It's Go Time.

#2 ramsessalmeron

ramsessalmeron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:34 AM

damn dude you dug deep! slow day?

#3 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

Doing a little necromancy to add to the list.

Don't forget...

LA Riptide (Lacrosse)
Long Beach Armada (baseball)
Orange County Blue Star (soccer, PDL)
Los Angeles Storm (soccer, PDL)
San Fernando Valley (soccer, PDL)

PDL stands for Premier Development League. I don't believe that PDL players get paid cash, which is the qualification for being considered pro. They have sponsors and maybe get some free gear/trips paid for, but they're still considered amatuer, so they don't get paid.

#4 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

In the PDL, I think the older players get paid while the college players don't. I think.

And if Jamesey wants to count the Santa Monica Track Club, which has faded in recent years, their are several other clubs and training groups like HSI, which train here in L.A. but in the last few years, adidas and Nike have done away with any pretense of the athletes representing clubs, and so the elite athletes now run for adidas (Wariner, Felix) of Nike (Gatlin, Greene).

#5 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

dont' know if i added this before, but the Newport Beach Breakers world team tennis club must be included.

2006 schedule is as follows:

Sat. 7/8 KANSAS CITY EXPLORERS
Mon. 7/10 ST. LOUIS ACES featuring PETE SAMPRAS
Tue. 7/11 HOUSTON WRANGLERS
Thu. 7/13 SACRAMENTO CAPITALS
Sat. 7/15 NEW YORK BUZZ
Sun. 7/16 SPRINGFIELD LASERS
Tue. 7/25 NEW YORK SPORTIMES featuring JOHN MCENROE

#6 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

Cucamonga Craka Killaz...
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#7 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

What's with all the trojan-bashing?

We at USC love you UCLA people. That's why we let so many of you work for us!

jealousy is a b!tch eh? :P

I love seeing all the SC hating because it shows we are dominating the LA market . . . all you have to do is go into any of the local sports stores and it is all CARDINAL & GOLD. We don't need a pro team in LA, we have the men of Troy.

:lol:

Some of my favorite folks are Trojan fans but, Fuck No-Soccer-Program-Havin' USC!

you can thank title IX for that . . . what a piece of garbage bit of legislation that was.

#8 Paranoid

Paranoid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy + Trojans

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:26 AM

yes Fuck title IX

and Fuck all the USC haters

fuck derailing threads too

#9 fokker

fokker

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Ajax and of course the U.S.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

We don't need a pro team in LA, we have the men of Troy.

Well with the free houses and shit, you are right we do have a Pro team in LA that still plays at the Colliseum.

#10 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

We don't need a pro team in LA, we have the men of Troy.

Well with the free houses and shit, you are right we do have a Pro team in LA that still plays at the Colliseum.

hey you forgot about the free SUV's going to bruins a couple of years ago. Just goes to show, capitalism indicates where the skilled players are . . . SUV < house in SD

:lol:

#11 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Antelope Valley Attack!

OC Breakers!

I heard a radio story about these teams a year or so ago.

Whatevah floats ya boat...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#12 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:25 AM

Had to revive this. Apparently there was a professional CRICKET team here for a minute. The Los Angeles Unity. I swear by the mud below my feet, I shit thee not.

Pro Cricket - Fast and Furious! Go UNITY!!!!

I think they've folded, though. I know! Hard to believe!

They have cricket in the Valley, I was shocked to discover, although I'm sure those are amateur teams. If the Galaxy keeps sucking what the French call "le dick," it's nice to know there's another unAmerican sport to follow.

#13 rokstedy

rokstedy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy & USA

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

Fullerton Flyers (minor league baseball)
"Last month I was in the Canary Islands, and I met up with Armada Sur, the supporters group for CD Tenerife. When the subject of MLS comes up one of the first things they ask me about is if I've heard of the Riot Squad and they mention that one of them has a LARS shirt, and describes the gask mask guy logo.

Halfway around the world and I can't get away from you guys?!?!"

Jasonma, from your other favorite message board, BigSoccer, which has become BigStupid

GOATS NEVER, GALAXY FOREVER!

#14 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

Had to revive this. Apparently there was a professional CRICKET team here for a minute. The Los Angeles Unity. I swear by the mud below my feet, I shit thee not.

Pro Cricket - Fast and Furious! Go UNITY!!!!

I think they've folded, though. I know! Hard to believe!

They have cricket in the Valley, I was shocked to discover, although I'm sure those are amateur teams. If the Galaxy keeps sucking what the French call "le dick," it's nice to know there's another unAmerican sport to follow.

It doesn't get more un-American than cricket. Notably baseball is a derivative of cricket, is it not? I conclude that Baseball is Un-American. That's right, I said it.

So...does anyone actually know anything about this game? It seems like Risk where you have to keep playing the same game again the next day in order to finish.

How do you score it?
Is there really such a thing as a "wicked googly"?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#15 Eric B

Eric B

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

So...does anyone actually know anything about this game? It seems like Risk where you have to keep playing the same game again the next day in order to finish.

How do you score it?

Let's see if I can keep this short and yet still understandable:

Two teams of eleven players each.
One team bats and the other one fields.
The batting team starts with two batsmen, standing about 20 yards away from each other, each one standing at a line in front of a wicket, which is three sticks about 30 inches(?) high sticking out of the ground with two little wooden widget like things balanced between them, like this:

Posted Image

One bowler (like a pitcher) will proceed to throw the ball technically at the wickets that the batsman is protecting, because if he hits the wickets the batter is out. This bataman will receive six balls in a row, which is called an Over (more on that later)

Now, the scoring: Every time the batsman hits the ball, both batsmen out there must run between the wickets to score runs, scoring one run for each time they safely cross the line without being either hit by the ball or having the ball hit the wicket, which is called being run out.

The cricket pitch is surrounded by an oval of about 500 feet. If the ball is hit beyond this oval on a bounce, the batsman gets four runs, if it goes beyond without a bounce, it's six runs.

So the two batsman on the field at the time keep going, over after over, until one is out, (called losing a wicket) and is then replaced by the next batsman in line. Some of the ways a player is out is if the bowler hits the wicket, if someone catches a batted ball on the fly, or if the player is run out. This goes on until one team is has lost ten wickets, since then they couldn't have two up there at the same time. When the whole team has batted it's called an innnings. Then the other team gets to do the same thing.

In the multi-day affairs to which you refered, each team gets two innings, with the winner the one that has the most runs over that time. In the full internationals they can last five days, with about eight hours of play a day. There are also what are called "limited over" matches, where a team's innings (only per match each) is limited to either 50 overs (called "One Day Internationals", that can still last eight hours) or a newer version call Twenty20, which is only 20 overs, duh. The league in which the Unity played was a 20 over league, but they only had five balls per over instead of six.

Personally I'm bummed that I didn't make it to one of their matches, as I think they played one at Blair Field in Long Beach, hopefully another league can make a go of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users