7 replies to this topic

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

News came out a week or so ago that Hartford will host a new USL team at a renovated Dillon Stadium.

I was really excited for the news, and looking forward to supporting a team in the region. 

Then this week I read they are in talks with the Massholes to become their USL affiliate.

My enthusiasm (and more importantly for them) interest in season tickets went from very high to practically nil.

It could turn out to be a dumb decision, while there are a handful of Revs fans, a lot of people (especially in the Western half of the Hartford Metro area) support NY teams or want nothing to do with the Krafts.

It also annoys me because it perpetuates the Foxboro team's fraudulent claim to 'New England.'

I was kind of hoping that the new team would get enough support to join MLS eventually.  I guess it will take the Whalers coming back for a Major League team to be in Hartford again.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
When I read the thread title I was hoping the smurfs got demoted to USL

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Probably a better chance of a Hartford MLS team down the line than the Whalers coming back, though Hartford in the MLS might only make it via promotion/regulation(though I don't think that's ever happening either lol)

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think they'll do ok. Plenty of ex-NE area college players that could have a shot at a pro career, plus any MLS reserve guys that didn't make the cut. it's good for the game, imo. makes sense that they'll affiliate with the Revs.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Being based in Connecticut, it will be nice to have a hometown team to support. Hartford is still kinda far for me though.

I know my Rochester Rhinos were the farm team for the Revs, so here's to hoping they come back and don't go outta business. 

I donno anything about Dillon Stadium tho. It can hold 6k, so if Hartford can get numbers, it could be a nice intimate venue. Anyway, the home opener there next year should be the BOMB!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Rhino should go to D3. I'd assume expenses would be way less. I'd also assume that LI Rough Riders move up from PDL(?) to USL D3. all those MLS reserve teams that couldn't hack it in D2 USL should be ini D3, ORL B VAN B and MTL B. Dallas allegedly going D3, would be great. 

Also New England is an untapped market for lower div pro soccer that is above PDL/NPSL. Hartford will lead the way, but Providence could prob start up a D3 team, as should Worcester. would require some vision on the prospective owner's part, though. good on the USL Hartford bid. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Both them and the Yard Goats should retire the #10 in honor of my childhood hero Ron Francis.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Rhino should go to D3. I'd assume expenses would be way less. I'd also assume that LI Rough Riders move up from PDL(?) to USL D3. all those MLS reserve teams that couldn't hack it in D2 USL should be ini D3, ORL B VAN B and MTL B. Dallas allegedly going D3, would be great. 

Also New England is an untapped market for lower div pro soccer that is above PDL/NPSL. Hartford will lead the way, but Providence could prob start up a D3 team, as should Worcester. would require some vision on the prospective owner's part, though. good on the USL Hartford bid. 

Nice opportunity with Hartford being an affluent market with no other pro sports teams. Definitely some opportunities there to do something.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users