• Supports:NY Red Bulls

Never met you before, but I'd like to.

make sure to bring The Bill to protect yourself, tough guy
He's not a soft or hot drink
Whoever don't like it could suck his straw, it's hot pink
On some junk like Gucci on a classy hoe
Might splash you in the face with nuclear pistachio
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake
that ass'll make is what you get for messing with ..........

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,999 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Only if you bring "The Bill" and he can bring some friend of his... let's call him "The Jeff" for sake of argument.

And have a good ole fashioned tag team match.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

And have a good ole fashioned tag team match.

Like this?

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club
Better than going around the city painted red with bull horns on yelling stuff. They're getting there.
"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

viper

viper

TU PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Soccer, & Soccer
  • Supports:Red Bull New York & Arsenal

Dude, that is a start up enterprise with a brand new game and brand to sell to their public. Its a totally different animal than a team with 14 years in their market. People here that like soccer already know this team "exisits".

This area is a different animal than other parts of this country. It's my belief that any marketing to actual fans of the game in this area, particularly NYC is doomed to fail. Why, well I'll tell you. Such people, without a doubt, follow a team from another continent that, in their eyes, is just way superior to the local MLS team here. That's just the way it goes. Those people only come out for the big names (Beckham). The new stadium will generate major interest at first but the real fan base here has to be built from the many soccer families that exist now and go to the games a few times (or more) a year now. My kid is going to be a fan, his friends from his team are going to be fans, etc... One should move to Seattle or Toronto if one cannot deal with this.

Also, that was part of a massive multi focused marketing campaign to gewnerate interest and season tickets fro the NEW franchsie.

But then, there was nothing of the sort here when the MetroStars started playing, NEW franchise or not. I'm betting there was that sort of thing up in Toronto also.

In other news, i'd love to see you go toe to toe with me on this issue because the only broad side you will see if the one connected to the other side of my hand.

Just let me know when, dude.

Who says that they dont "care" how successful their investment is? I never did, you are just moving the goal psts here trying to defend an indefendanble position. Every event or marketing angle they run is tied into their ethos. Its obvious, which is why they are great at selling their product and finding those same efforts arent working that great selling a game.

The only position I'm trying to defend is that one should support their club no matter what. For instance, a silly name like MetroStars didn't stop me from supporting my local MLS club. A silly name like Red Bull should not stop anyone from supporting their local MLS club. That's it! No need for any angst. No one should be acting like Holden Caulfield here. It's a soccer club and one should just support. And, yeah, it should be that simple. And also, it would be impossible for every maketing angle they ran NOT to be tied into their ethos (certainly, to you) because their team is named the same as their product. I'm not one to care, as I'm just here to support my team. I'm not here to contemplate how 'impure' this is. But you know that already.

Of course they were, no one is defending AEG or Kludge's marketing genius. Why can't we call out shit marketing when we see?

Instead of acting all fake outraged here why dont you tell us why this latest marketing campaign has been successfull.

No fake outrage here and I'm certainly not defending Red Bull marketing. As I stated before, I'm of the belief that all such marketing campaigns around here are going to be unsuccessful. Did I like that running of the bulls stuff from last week? Not, it was idiotic but I don't qualify it as a disgrace to our club as you probably do.

So, c'mon - who wants the viper back???

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,999 posts
You're from my town of Paramus, Mr. Viper. So, I got no issues with you posting on these boards.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

viper

viper

TU PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Ah, but that's not actually true. I've actually met you at your store, unless you have some other English bloke, with the personality of a rock working there.

You're from my town of Paramus, Mr. Viper. So, I got no issues with you posting on these boards.

Glad to see another Paramus resident on this board Jay. Also, mine was a self-imposed exile. Here's hoping that, maybe just for ol times sake, Dan doesn't ban me. Of course, if the majority want me to stay away then I will. So, c'mon - who wants the viper back???

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

make sure to bring The Bill to protect yourself, tough guy

And the last person to get over it is .................................

you, mug.
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

This area is a different animal than other parts of this country. It's my belief that any marketing to actual fans of the game in this area, particularly NYC is doomed to fail. Why, well I'll tell you. Such people, without a doubt, follow a team from another continent that, in their eyes, is just way superior to the local MLS team here. That's just the way it goes. Those people only come out for the big names (Beckham). The new stadium will generate major interest at first but the real fan base here has to be built from the many soccer families that exist now and go to the games a few times (or more) a year now. My kid is going to be a fan, his friends from his team are going to be fans, etc... One should move to Seattle or Toronto if one cannot deal with this.

But you support Arsenal..so you contridict your own statement, and i know plenty of fans here that started out supporting other teams, so i know soccer fans will get behind this team if given a good reason to form that bond.

The only position I'm trying to defend is that one should support their club no matter what.

Again i'll put my record of support up against anyone's but that still doesn't mean i cant's be critical of what i perceive to be a failed approaach to dealing with connecting to the abundace of fans of the game in this area.

No fake outrage here and I'm certainly not defending Red Bull marketing. As I stated before, I'm of the belief that all such marketing campaigns around here are going to be unsuccessful. Did I like that running of the bulls stuff from last wee? Not, it was idiotic but I don't qualify it as a disgrace to our club as you probably do.

Any willful act that self-inflicts embarasment to my club i veiw as a disgrace. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see the same mistakes being made over and over and over again? There are things that can be successful but the they dont want to do them or are afraid to approach that audiance. Instead they view stupid stunts like this as something tangible. So sad.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

MasterShake

MasterShake

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

And the last person to get over it is .................................

you, mug.

mug? whats that? is that what you see when you look in the mirror?
He's not a soft or hot drink
Whoever don't like it could suck his straw, it's hot pink
On some junk like Gucci on a classy hoe
Might splash you in the face with nuclear pistachio
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake
that ass'll make is what you get for messing with ..........

viper

viper

TU PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

But you support Arsenal..so you contridict your own statement, and i know plenty of fans here that started out supporting other teams, so i know soccer fans will get behind this team if given a good reason to form that bond.

If I lived in this area, supported Arsenal and didn't give a crap about the Red Bulls that would be one thing. The Red Bulls are my local team and that's who I support over everything else. But I submit to you that I, and the few thousand we get at our home games (most of who do support another team from elsewhere) are the exception to the rule. The so called Euro Snobs aren't coming to a game unles Beckham, Ronaldinho or Messi are coming. That's just the way it goes and no amount of advertising is going to change that (imho).

Again i'll put my record of support up against anyone's but that still doesn't mean i cant's be critical of what i perceive to be a failed approaach to dealing with connecting to the abundace of fans of the game in this area.

Ok, so the marketing sucks, but the whole name thing still after 3 years? The dead horse you're beating has been decomposing for 3 years. There's nothing left.

Any willful act that self-inflicts embarasment to my club i veiw as a disgrace. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see the same mistakes being made over and over and over again? There are things that can be successful but the they dont want to do them or are afraid to approach that audiance. Instead they view stupid stunts like this as something tangible. So sad.

Yes, I do have an idea how frustrating it is to see the same mistakes being made over and over again. I've been here from the first season. Really awful player signings are one thing but stupid stunts I couldn't couldn't give a crap about.

gprime85

gprime85

The Hooligan Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Interests:beer.
  • Supports:RBNY CELTIC USA West Ham
1) i love the new fast reply

2) granted its RBNY, but they're missing out on a whole untapped market by not doing anything in jersey (aside from 3 billboards i've seen in newark penn) need to find a niche for the team and run with it. like since since the nets are leaving for crooklyn, the devils are now "new jersey's team." and i see those posters and billboards EVERYWHERE: every train station, a lot of busses, billboards on rt 9...Rb needs to market and put up billboards in central NJ and the counties west of harrison.

3) anybody see the thing i put up in the beckham 7 thread about KFC and chi-town potholes? THAT'S what they need to do...
{GSS}
"So wait, a brace is when someone scores 2 goals." "Yep." "...and a hat trick is 3 goals." "Right." "So than what's 5 goals? Is there a name for that?" "A Mathis."
In Soler/Backe We Trust.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

I dont think they are afraid or unwilling. I just think they dont know any better. They come from a school of thought that has never seen the dynamics soccer has. Their "sports marketing" classes havent touched on soccer and the way its fan behaves. A fan of other american sports behaves and lives WAAAYYY differently than a fan of soccer. You might find some similarities in some cases such as BoSox and Yankee fans, but for the most part other fans are very different. They are also more acceptable as viewing their sport/team as big corporate entity they never actually touch, so theres always that distance and disconnect.

I think this same ideal of thinking is why so many soccer "fans" so easily jump to EPL teams. Theyre so used to never actually going to a stadium because of cost, availability, etc.. that to them watching the Knicks play on TV is the same as watching Liverpool 3000 miles away. They have no problem with it because most likely they dont follow their local sports team at the stadium anyways besides from a handful of games each season, so they are used to it. THink about it. Giants fans for instance number in the tens of millions, but how many of them actually attend every game? So wether the team is in NY or Manchester they watch it on the same tube on the same couch so its no different if its "local" or not. They just wanna watch good soccer.

The only thing that can really grab their attention away from there is to give them something more than "soccer" you need to give them a viable reason why they should support you(not come out and have a night out, but SUPPORT) and why they should come out to the stadium. And RB(and 95% of MLS for that matter) havent done that. Players come and go, so they dont matter, championships also come and go and bad years always happen, so why should they come out? What we offering? Are they really our "LOCAL" team? or they just a team who happens to be "Local"? Are they really a "Club" at all, putting forth not only the team's well being but the community's as a whole? DO they really represent what the area is about?(they cant even figure what their "area" is) So why should anyone watch them?

THis is why the "old guard" of fans, the actual ex pats at Nevadas, etc.. dont come. They hide behind their holier than thou "MLS is shite" attitude, but I tell you that if they saw shit genuinely being worked on they would come out in a heart beat. It doesnt mean they gunna turn on their old team but I am willing to bet you anything they will be more open to the idea of supporting an MLS side. As much as you may hate these people because they gave you attitude and laughed in your face when you said Rhett Harty can kick John Terry's ass any day of the week, these are the people that would actually make MLS a better league, because they are passionate about their teams and they already know the ins and outs of being a football supporter. These are the people who can get OTHER hardheaded fans to come out.

And listen theres no "marketing" you can do for that it isnt about marketing, its about changing your philosophy. You want proof? Go to TFC, Go to DC, Go to Seattle, and soon Portland. Theyre not about "marketing" as much as it is about being apart of your life and city in a way that inst all about buy this and buy that. And yet they still make tons of money(or atleast more than us) who knew....

Marketing is about getting the word out about what your company is and what it does, soccer fans around the area already know what this is and they aint bitting, so it doesnt matter what you do if you dont change your core. For the people who DONT know what it is so far what RB has done is so freaking vague I dont know what the hell it is. For all I know its a guy doing tricks with a soccer ball trying to get attention for the drink. ANd look Im not saying its their intention(although deeply I do beleive that) it just comes off that way because people knowck RB the drink first so they are always going to think its about the drink. THey dont have time for a whole explanation of ...oh dude its not about the drink we actually own a team called RB.... theyre passing by see a clown and see the RB logo and are like...oh its just a Red Bull Drink Ad....keep walking...

So really the problem doesnt even begin at Metro Fans vs RB, its whole existance is a huge cluster fuck which they are not even begining to adress properly and rather than hiring amarketing agency who knows the sport they are using old ideas that cannot work in this situation and firthermore they are using INTERNS as their agency and production team... No offense to any interns[[fixes his tie]]

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

I don't really have any bodegas near me, so I feel running to the nearest one would take quite a bit of time, or even be hazardous to my health because I am not an avid runner and therefore may be susceptible to injury.

Posted Image

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

I dont think they are afraid or unwilling. I just think they dont know any better. They come from a school of thought that has never seen the dynamics soccer has. Their "sports marketing" classes havent touched on soccer and the way its fan behaves. A fan of other american sports behaves and lives WAAAYYY differently than a fan of soccer. You might find some similarities in some cases such as BoSox and Yankee fans, but for the most part other fans are very different. They are also more acceptable as viewing their sport/team as big corporate entity they never actually touch, so theres always that distance and disconnect.

I think this same ideal of thinking is why so many soccer "fans" so easily jump to EPL teams. Theyre so used to never actually going to a stadium because of cost, availability, etc.. that to them watching the Knicks play on TV is the same as watching Liverpool 3000 miles away. They have no problem with it because most likely they dont follow their local sports team at the stadium anyways besides from a handful of games each season, so they are used to it. THink about it. Giants fans for instance number in the tens of millions, but how many of them actually attend every game? So wether the team is in NY or Manchester they watch it on the same tube on the same couch so its no different if its "local" or not. They just wanna watch good soccer.

The only thing that can really grab their attention away from there is to give them something more than "soccer" you need to give them a viable reason why they should support you(not come out and have a night out, but SUPPORT) and why they should come out to the stadium. And RB(and 95% of MLS for that matter) havent done that. Players come and go, so they dont matter, championships also come and go and bad years always happen, so why should they come out? What we offering? Are they really our "LOCAL" team? or they just a team who happens to be "Local"? Are they really a "Club" at all, putting forth not only the team's well being but the community's as a whole? DO they really represent what the area is about?(they cant even figure what their "area" is) So why should anyone watch them?

THis is why the "old guard" of fans, the actual ex pats at Nevadas, etc.. dont come. They hide behind their holier than thou "MLS is shite" attitude, but I tell you that if they saw shit genuinely being worked on they would come out in a heart beat. It doesnt mean they gunna turn on their old team but I am willing to bet you anything they will be more open to the idea of supporting an MLS side. As much as you may hate these people because they gave you attitude and laughed in your face when you said Rhett Harty can kick John Terry's ass any day of the week, these are the people that would actually make MLS a better league, because they are passionate about their teams and they already know the ins and outs of being a football supporter. These are the people who can get OTHER hardheaded fans to come out.

And listen theres no "marketing" you can do for that it isnt about marketing, its about changing your philosophy. You want proof? Go to TFC, Go to DC, Go to Seattle, and soon Portland. Theyre not about "marketing" as much as it is about being apart of your life and city in a way that inst all about buy this and buy that. And yet they still make tons of money(or atleast more than us) who knew....

Marketing is about getting the word out about what your company is and what it does, soccer fans around the area already know what this is and they aint bitting, so it doesnt matter what you do if you dont change your core. For the people who DONT know what it is so far what RB has done is so freaking vague I dont know what the hell it is. For all I know its a guy doing tricks with a soccer ball trying to get attention for the drink. ANd look Im not saying its their intention(although deeply I do beleive that) it just comes off that way because people knowck RB the drink first so they are always going to think its about the drink. THey dont have time for a whole explanation of ...oh dude its not about the drink we actually own a team called RB.... theyre passing by see a clown and see the RB logo and are like...oh its just a Red Bull Drink Ad....keep walking...

So really the problem doesnt even begin at Metro Fans vs RB, its whole existance is a huge cluster fuck which they are not even begining to adress properly and rather than hiring amarketing agency who knows the sport they are using old ideas that cannot work in this situation and firthermore they are using INTERNS as their agency and production team... No offense to any interns[[fixes his tie]]

Proof that reading these boards is not an entire waste of time. A truly great post, thank you.
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users