sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

lol

3rd in the East and Davis play is maybe a bit off and you want to let him go.  

Yeah, a bit harsh.  Davis is a hot and cold guy.  When he first stepped in during Dax's injury, he played lights out.  Then we move Dax, Davis plays mediocre and gets benched.  Finally, last season he played quite well again.  So, I just think he's having another dip in form.  Would not write him off though, because on his day he is terrific. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,048 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Id love to sign a #6 that will stick around for a while and pair him with CCJ/Davis, ideally CCJ. Davis seems to be unbenchable though so I wont hold my breath. Armas continues to play him as the deepest CM even with CCJ on the field, which does him no favors at all.

I like Davis a lot, but he doesn't have the instincts to clog the passing lanes like Dax and Tyler, which is what you need from a 6 in our system.  He's a smart, physical, athletic player that presses well and compliments a smaller, more technical Rza, but Rza isn't intercepting a lot either.  That's why, this year, good passing teams like Boy City are able to work around the press so easily once they get in our half.    Plus, he and Casseres are a little too similar when paired together with Rza or Kaku in front of them.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

This team does seem to have a good ability to see when a player is on his way down and not re-up them. Feels like there's a lot of players that felt harsh to let go at the time, but really dropped off soon after. 

That wasn't the situation with Felipe. He was 26-27 years old when they traded him and they did so because they needed to give up some value to acquire Parker, so they chose to do so from a position of depth. Without watching much Vancouver, I'd venture to guess that his slip in performance is at least partially attributed to them being a very poor team. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I like Davis a lot, but he doesn't have the instincts to clog the passing lanes like Dax and Tyler, which is what you need from a 6 in our system.  He's a smart, physical, athletic player that presses well and compliments a smaller, more technical Rza, but Rza isn't intercepting a lot either.  That's why, this year, good passing teams like Boy City are able to work around the press so easily once they get in our half.    Plus, he and Casseres are a little too similar when paired together with Rza or Kaku in front of them.    

Weird Casseres stats:

He's up to 3 goals and 3 assists in 10 games (all starts) this season. That's pretty good!

However, the team has a record of 2W-4D-4L when he starts. That's pretty terrible!

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Not really the point. They should not be given a platform to bitch and moan about the call on the field for 5 minutes. That falls on the referees. This isnt injury/foul stoppages. Its a controllable situation. If theyre going to cry like that, cards need to be handed out and they need to put a stop to it.

I think people are maybe confusing a couple of different issues.  Players shouldn't be allowed to delay the game by whining, bitching and moaning, and the ref shouldn't allow it happen.  But what if it does happen, like it did last night?  The time absolutely has to be added on.  

If NYCFC had been up by a goal in the 90th minute, there's not a soul on here who would argue that the time shouldn't have been added on.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

I think people are maybe confusing a couple of different issues.  Players shouldn't be allowed to delay the game by whining, bitching and moaning, and the ref shouldn't allow it happen.  But what if it does happen, like it did last night?  The time absolutely has to be added on.  

If NYCFC had been up by a goal in the 90th minute, there's not a soul on here who would argue that the time shouldn't have been added on.

Because the Ref should have ended it after 1-2 minutes by crossing his arms, saying no more and then running to the center circle.  He could also motion to and start carding players.  

Card them for dissent, unsportsman like or time wasting.

I've seen refs do that before (the crossing arms no more sign and run to center circle.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

Weird Casseres stats:

He's up to 3 goals and 3 assists in 10 games (all starts) this season. That's pretty good!

However, the team has a record of 2W-4D-4L when he starts. That's pretty terrible!

I think both sets of stats will normalize with a larger population of starts for CCJ: scoring will get a little colder, but team record will get better. My question is this: is CCJ now a starter from here on out? I think he should be!

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Good point and agreed. The two issues are getting conflated. 

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

lol

3rd in the East and Davis play is maybe a bit off and you want to let him go.  

I'm not talking about Davis in that statement. I was talking about Felipe, and in general how RB has done a good job of timing when to part ways with a player....even when it seems like a bad move in the moment.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not talking about Davis in that statement. I was talking about Felipe, and in general how RB has done a good job of timing when to part ways with a player....even when it seems like a bad move in the moment.

Its a little different with Davis because he's not an older guy who is about to start to decline in both contract value and physical ability. He's just being forced into a role he's not really suited for. Build a roster that allows him to play as an 8 instead of a 6 and he's golden.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Also, I forgot to say, fuck Tinnerholm. Not sure who is the bigger dickhead between him and Larentowicz. MLS should get them both in the same anger management class. 

tinnerholm is a dog whistle for the aryan nation fanbase.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
Interesting points on what changed half to half besides Royer Myul switch and weak outside back tucking in

From mlssoccer Bobby Warshaw and Armas quotes

Red Bulls games have become the most consistently interesting tactical battles in the league. Everyone has a game plan for playing against their press (because its become clear that if you dont, you will lose). This week, NYCFC dominated that battle, and thus the game, in the 1st half. When Red Bulls got the tactical advantage in the 2nd half, they took over the game. What changed?

In the 1st half, Red Bulls started their line of confrontation all the way at the top of NYCFCs box. In response, NYCFC launched everything long out of the back. That was to be expected. The specific wrinkle that NYCFC used, in Chris Armas words: On goal kicks, they are putting guys 10 or 15 yards offside into your half, it makes your backline uncomfortable. It forces you into a little bit of a passive mode; so they were setting our line instead of us seeing our line and we are at our best when can compress spaces and be aggressive. We werent as aggressive at stepping out of the backline; they were parking three players centrally...and this makes it difficult. The Red Bulls got extremely stretched and couldnt win second balls, a deadly sin in the Red Bulls Way.

In the 2nd half, the Red Bulls dropped their line of confrontation and conceded the first 20 yards. RBNYs defenders couldnt move forward off NYCFCs attackers you cant exactly leave those three players open so RBNY had to drop their three strikers to stay compact. This coerced NYCFC to pass out of the back. When NYCFC tried to play from the back, RBNY sprung out of their shape and initiated their press. When Red Bulls can press into the opponents half from a compact starting point... well, we know what happens. They make the game chaotic, which makes the opponent uncomfortable, which, as Armas explained after the game, is really the whole premise of what RBNY try to achieve. When the game got fast and chaotic, Red Bulls were able to find their own calm and take over the game.

Why NYCFC took the bait and tried to play from the back in the second half is the big mystery in all of this.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Papa won again...

Nazis were arrested and jailed.

FUCK EM

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,048 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Papa won again...

Nazis were arrested and jailed.

FUCK EM

For what?  Source?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rhactl7

rhactl7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

CCJ and Davis both had poor games. Turned the ball over a ton. Especially in the first half. CCJ was better in the 2nd half. Nice assist on the 2nd goal. And we have to remember the kid is only 19 years old. Not everyone can come in and be Tyler Adams. 

Alex Muyl has quietly been having a very good year. He's not the most skilled guy or the best finisher. But the guy is a workhorse. And you need guys like that in a high pressing system. He knows the right angles to take and when to pressure. It seems like he's had a LOT of key passes this year in plays that lead to goals. Especially long balls in behind the defense. Perfect ball to Brian White to set up the PK.

Is Brian White the starting striker going forward? I would have started BWP last game but it seems like Armas really favors White right now. And White has been playing well enough. BWP has come off the bench in the last 4 games. BWP is notorious for slow starts though, so maybe he is taking that into account. Anyway, its a good problem to have...

Danny Royer. What a player. Can't take a better PK than he did. Johnson guessed correctly and still had no chance. And the header was sublime too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users