Lack of scoring

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: who is at fault for lack of scoring (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is at fault for lack of scoring?

1. The strikers like fabio or kimala or barlow can't convert crosses into back of net. (10 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Poor quality of crosses by midfielders (14 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

3. Poor leadership by Struber (6 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

The buildup from the back isn't good enough to enable strikers to finish. Midfield cannot produce quality passes or crosses into the box.The strikers cannot convert decent passes or crosses into the net. Does anyone think this season can be saved?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The buildup from the back isn't good enough to enable strikers to finish. Midfield cannot produce quality passes or crosses into the box.The strikers cannot convert decent passes or crosses into the net. Does anyone think this season can be saved?

Absolutely. If they spend enough.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,624 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You seem to think crosses from the fullbacks are the only way to create chances

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,456 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

i think the lack of scoring is tied to CB issue. Since Long went down, we have been playing with 5 guys on the defensive line. that is a lot. 

to be more effective offensively, we need to be able to send more players forward.  right now, the team is playing afraid to send too much forward because the defense is a hot mess. 

right now, red bull is playing very conservative. that is why i dont see us scoring a lot of goals. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,337 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

i think the lack of scoring is tied to CB issue. Since Long went down, we have been playing with 5 guys on the defensive line. that is a lot. 

Thats not true though? We've played the same 4-4-2 with the same tactics that we did before Long went down. The only time we played 5 in the back was against LA before Long was injured.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

to be more effective offensively, we need to be able to send more players forward.  right now, the team is playing afraid to send too much forward because the defense is a hot mess. 

right now, red bull is playing very conservative. that is why i dont see us scoring a lot of goals. 

i still think the biggest issue is the midfield but this is for sure part of the problem, especially now with Tarek playing.  Davis is hanging in there but he has a massive burden now defensively and more importantly in build up we have a black hole there, causing midfield to need to receive ball deeper

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,337 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

So this is a tough question to tackle because we're not exactly in a scoring crisis, we're dead smack in the middle of the road in goals scored. But I guess it is the difference between being above or below the playoff line right now, especially in year where the Eastern Conference is very strong.

I spent some time tinkering with the expected goals (xG) and expected assists (xA) that americansocceranalysis.com puts out. Overall the stats back up the eye test and the expected style of play from Struber, but there are some clear areas for improvement.

• Our strikers have the 3rd worst xG to goals ratio in the league. Despite the great pressing energy and hold up play, they are not clinical finishers. 
  • On the flip side, our strikers are tied for the most assists in the league, and our midfielders have the second most goals in the league. This makes sense with how Struber plays, with strikers holding up the ball and laying it off for late running midfielders.
  • Our midfielders have mediocre xA, but the second lowest assists in the league. Part of this is the aforementioned finishing woes, but also shows that we don't create much through the midfield. Again, this jives with how Struber plays, preferring Route 1 long balls or early crosses from the fullbacks.
  • Our fullbacks are towards the bottom of the table for xA, which is surprising given how much of our build up goes through them.

Basically - better finishing from our strikers, more play through our midfield, and better quality service from our fullbacks would have us in a better spot

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Its really clear IMHO that in a gen gen press, you need to have solid defenders and wide backs who contribute to the attack. We have a massive problem at CB right now, which means our wing backs are left more exposed and cant confidently make overlapping runs or press as high as they would otherwise. So then your central midfield ball shuttlers have to augment the defense more, covering wide and centrally depending on how you're pulled around and then there's just no outlets to connect the ball with. 

So I see our scoring problem as mostly a CB problem. 

That being said, if we had a DP #10 who could just pull off heroics, then it wouldnt be hitting us so hard right now. This summer, if we get a starting CB and a DP #10, we will be in great shape by the time playoffs arrive and some folks are back from injury. Clarke and Carmona are great for young players, are good attacking options in development, they just need a more veteran starter in front of them. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,624 posts

Thats not true though? We've played the same 4-4-2 with the same tactics that we did before Long went down. The only time we played 5 in the back was against LA before Long was injured.

I'd like to see a before/after heat map on Davis

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

You seem to think crosses from the fullbacks are the only way to create chances

A feature of Struber's 442 diamond was supposed to be fullbacks providing width in the final third.... in addition to crosses, fullbacks playing more forward pulls opponents defenses to play a touch wider, which opens up some room in the box or channels.  I think there is some merit to connecting the CB issue to fullbacks playing more defensive to lack of scoring.  

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

A feature of Struber's 442 diamond was supposed to be fullbacks providing width in the final third.... in addition to crosses, fullbacks playing more forward pulls opponents defenses to play a touch wider, which opens up some room in the box or channels.  I think there is some merit to connecting the CB issue to fullbacks playing more defensive to lack of scoring.  

I'm trying to activate my memory, but Tolkien has been great, but I seem to remember Gutman on the forward line more often.... I could be misremembering. 

The Falcon

The Falcon

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Do we have good enough players on the roster to achieve the desired results or are we really just a slight upgrade from last year's dismal roster? Lot of great comments above on our FW, MF and D stats compared with the league, but are our players on the field technically skilled enough to play the way Struber wants? Can they execute better precision passes, shoot quality shots on goal, not high or wide, and score a lot more goals? Or are we just jerking off?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,624 posts

But this poll boils down to "are we getting good crosses in, or are we doing a bad job with the crosses we get."   

CB's are just as capable of moving forward and advancing the attack.    Struber wants CB's who can pass.    We need balance.  When you're a one trick pony, you are easy to shut down.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Brian White and Tom Barlow both have better goals per game and goals per minute stats than Fabio.  I am not saying they are necessarily better than Fabio, but Fabio is not a big upgrade over either of those two and certainly not nearly as big an upgrade as the team needs.  

Whatever Struber wants to do, the real problem is that the players we have now are hardly, it at all, better than the players we had last year. Overhauling the team does not accomplish anything as long as the new players are not better than the old ones.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

But this poll boils down to "are we getting good crosses in, or are we doing a bad job with the crosses we get."   

CB's are just as capable of moving forward and advancing the attack.    Struber wants CB's who can pass.    We need balance.  When you're a one trick pony, you are easy to shut down.

Yeah.... truth be told, I didnt really read the poll/vote. I'm like a child...

I was thinking getting better CBs (both in passing ability and, more importantly defensive chops) will have a domino effect on getting Fabio and Klimala more balls with more freedom. I realize now that the poll question was specifically geared to goals from crosses and Strubers ability to lead players to the verdant hills of eternal crossing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users