65 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I feel like we need a striker and a RB to make a run. Struber does not prefer 3 big slower CBs as starters - he likes Edwards there due to his speed and agility. So he may not move to RB even when Reyes is fully healthy. That's why they gave up Monzon - Reyes is a sub on this team, who is now back. I think the biggest drop off from last year was Nealis from Duncan downgrade. Harper is not a good defender and is an attacking player, hence he will not replace Dylan. And Dylan is just not a good player.

We are also an injury to Tolkin away from having shit at LB, but at least if everything is prefect, Tolkin covers that spot well. On the right side though, Dylan is a starter even with everyone healthy, and he should be a sub. Schnider needs to step up and get us a couple of pieces now, and who knows, maybe this team can make a run. He needs to do it quickly though, because last reg season game is Oct 9. It will take time to get visa, to get acclimatized, especially if we don't get proven stars. The time is running out.

Reyes is a starter, he probably wont be starting every game this season because of the caution with his return from injury.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Reyes is a starter...

Based on what have you concluded that?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

also this is crap - no announcement and almost no rumors.

Top 25 game in club history happening in 8 days.   Season is over in 10 weeks.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Reyes is probably the most talented CB on the roster, at worst 2nd behind Long. I know Struber likes Edwards on the field, which is why I expect Edwards to continue to play a lot of minutes rotating in for Reyes.

Also, Edwards is gone after this season.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Reyes is probably the most talented CB on the roster, at worst 2nd behind Long. I know Struber likes Edwards on the field, which is why I expect Edwards to continue to play a lot of minutes rotating in for Reyes.

Also, Edwards is gone after this season.

Didn't you say the same thing last year about Edwards? I hope we can keep him and there is a realistic chance we will, like last year. All depends if he can be a solid rotational at Stokes. If not, he could be back, and for longer than a year as age will become a factor eventually. Also, I do not see a scenario where Edwards is subbing for Reyes.

As far as Reyes, so far he was a healthy DNP in the last game after playing a game before. Yes, he was injured, but that's not how you work in your starter back. We'll see, but I doubt there will be a lot of games with Reyes, S Nealis, and Long in the back. Could be worth trying, but I know Struber likes speed in the backline, and Nealis and Long are not the fastest guys in the world. Certainly not Nealis. So, regretfully, unless Schnider finds a better RB, I think we will see Dylan Nealis starting and Reyes on the bench.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Can anyone seriously make the case that Sean Nealis should start over Reyes once the latter rounds back into form? He is slow as hell and terrible on the ball. He should be a rotational player. Reyes/Long/Edwards is a formidable back 3 in terms of pace and on the ball ability. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Can anyone seriously make the case that Sean Nealis should start over Reyes once the latter rounds back into form? He is slow as hell and terrible on the ball. He should be a rotational player. Reyes/Long/Edwards is a formidable back 3 in terms of pace and on the ball ability. 

So far Struber made that case. He seems to like Dylan almost as much as Barlow. Reyes was healthy last game, and while he may not be ready to start, I think he could do more than 0 minutes if Struber wanted it.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

So far Struber made that case. He seems to like Dylan almost as much as Barlow. Reyes was healthy last game, and while he may not be ready to start, I think he could do more than 0 minutes if Struber wanted it.

I am talking about Sean, not Dylan (who definitely needs to be pushed out of the every game XI).

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

what?

They need Reyes to go 90 in USOC as Edwards got suspended for a bone headed post game red.

I don't know why Reyes didn't sub on for 20-30 but I don't think it is because Struber likes Barlow and Dylan over Reyes.  come on.

Tolkin Reyes Nealis Long Edwards is the starting back 5 when all healthy but maybe they throw Harper out there because he is better going forward and Long can cover for him although I do like Edwards scrap.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

I am talking about Sean, not Dylan (who definitely needs to be pushed out of the every game XI).

Yeah, I too think Reyes would do better than Sean - the only concern is durability. I recall Reyes was injured a lot last year too. At CB you want some stability game in and game out. But yeah - it was pretty brutal to watch Sean abused by Titi last game.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

what?

They need Reyes to go 90 in USOC as Edwards got suspended for a bone headed post game red.

I don't know why Reyes didn't sub on for 20-30 but I don't think it is because Struber likes Barlow and Dylan over Reyes.  come on.

Tolkin Reyes Nealis Long Edwards is the starting back 5 when all healthy but maybe they throw Harper out there because he is better going forward and Long can cover for him although I do like Edwards scrap.

Yes, when Edwards is suspended, Reyes might start, but I stand by my opinion that Dylan will get more time than Reyes, because Struber likes Tom at CB for speed and Dylan at RB. To me this will change if Schnider finds a RB. 

Tolkin Reyes Nealis Long Edwards is something I would try too, and maybe Struber will. But I just don't think he will stick with it for the above reasons. We will see.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Reyes was healthy last game, and while he may not be ready to start, I think he could do more than 0 minutes if Struber wanted it.

Hes just come back from injury. We might have seen him if we werent down a goal.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sean Nealis is one of the better CBs in the league. He's pretty close to that sweet spot we often talk about where a player is a very good MLS player but not good enough to draw attention from Europe and therefore can be a foundation piece for 6-8 years. His lack of ability on the ball is definitely what keeps him off the USMNT radar.

Reyes is one of the top CBs in the league when he's healthy. 

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

Sean Nealis is one of the better CBs in the league. He's pretty close to that sweet spot we often talk about where a player is a very good MLS player but not good enough to draw attention from Europe and therefore can be a foundation piece for 6-8 years. His lack of ability on the ball is definitely what keeps him off the USMNT radar.

Reyes is one of the top CBs in the league when he's healthy. 

One of the better as in top 10? 20? Heck no, as far as I am concerned. I think he is a starter on most teams, but we have an embarrassment of riches as far as 3-man backline CB's go. All health and form equal, I can't justify starting him over Reyes/Long/Edwards, if they bring in a capable starter at RWB. If not, I'd like to see Edwards get that shot over Dylan. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

One of the better as in top 10? 20? Heck no, as far as I am concerned. I think he is a starter on most teams, but we have an embarrassment of riches as far as 3-man backline CB's go. All health and form equal, I can't justify starting him over Reyes/Long/Edwards, if they bring in a capable starter at RWB. If not, I'd like to see Edwards get that shot over Dylan. 

I mean whatever. I don't see a single planet on which Sean Nealis is a top-five consideration for where we need to get better. Edwards should be pushed out wide and Dylan Nealis benched. Get LB cover for Tolkin. Sign a difference making #9 (no I don't mean big name, but someone who has upside AKA not a Fabio.) If we do that we're good to go. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users