30 replies to this topic

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Ah, MetroFanatic.  The only IQ I care about is Ben Mines' football IQ.  He could flunk out of junior college, fail the Terry Bradshaw cat spelling test, and it wouldn't matter to me.  Can he read the play?  Make smart runs?  Find space?  Make space for his teammates?  Know which pass to make?  That's what matters.  

Having said that, seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.  Any kid who remembers in his first post-game interview to thank his mom for driving him 90 minutes each way to practice is a good guy in my book.  

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Ah, MetroFanatic.  The only IQ I care about is Ben Mines' football IQ.  He could flunk out of junior college, fail the Terry Bradshaw cat spelling test, and it wouldn't matter to me.  Can he read the play?  Make smart runs?  Find space?  Make space for his teammates?  Know which pass to make?  That's what matters.  

Having said that, seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.  Any kid who remembers in his first post-game interview to thank his mom for driving him 90 minutes each way to practice is a good guy in my book.  

Reread my RBNY II game report from Saturday. The kid really sees the game and has great instincts. His body needs to follow, but he has the football IQ

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

schools at the Ivy level like Stanford do not offer scholarships to athletes unqualified academically.

I never said that he was unqualified. I do think that he is under qualified. Some seem to think that absent his soccer skills, he would or could qualify academically.

the kid is smart. Many top schools would be happy to have him as a student.

I have yet to see anything supporting this assertion.

He has foregone the opportunity for a sports scholarship

This is where I came in. A $250K gamble.

top schools get more academically qualified applicants than they have room for.

Who said otherwise? Still, sports skills are worth 200 SAT points at many top schools, close to 400 at Stanford.

I am not sure why you are showing such animosity towards him ...

I have no animosity towards him at all. I welcome him to the professional ranks, and hope that he has a long and successful career, leading us to many trophies.
I only question the reasoning of those who doubt the value of what he has forgone. I hope that RB has or will compensate him adequately for this.
I do disagree with those who make unsupported claims about his academic skills and achievements, having seen no evidence of either. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post a link demonstrating either.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

I have no clue what Ben's SAT's are

Nor do I, although I would be surprised if he is at the generally needed 1590. I would expect them to be above the 1200 bare minimum.

smarter than 99+% of the rest of us.

There are some pretty smart people on this board. Just ask them!
Some may not have attended university. Quite a few came here from other countries. Like Ben, many have high soccer IQs.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I dont think anyone has any animosity towards Ben. If anything, we appreciate his commitment to the club and recognize what he has given up to sign here. Whether you think its the money or the chance to attend on Top 5 ACADEMIC institution, Mines and his family believe enough in him that hell make. I have nothing but respect for that.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

LOL, well since you've concluded that he is not smart because he plays soccer, I will gracefully bow out. 

On further reflection, I guess if he was smart he would have taken the free ride at Stanford.

I'll take  :deadhorse:  for $200, Alex...

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

you've concluded that he is not smart because he plays soccer ...

No one has said that.
You have built yourself a straw man.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

No one has said that.
You have built yourself a straw man.

"Nor do I, although I would be surprised if he is at the generally needed 1590. I would expect them to be above the 1200 bare minimum."

Indeed you did say it. 

:cheers:

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Indeed you did say it. 

No. I said he is above the minimum 1200 needed for an athlete at Stanford, but not the 1590 needed for a non-athlete.
A 1200 SAT is 70th percentile, and smart.
1590 is 99.9 percentile, and brilliant. Also the SAT score for the top 25% accepted at Stanford, who dont have a special category helping their application.

Jacen McCullough

Jacen McCullough

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The difference in education between a Stanford and a school ranked a little bit lower (top 50-ish) is minimal, and depending on the individual faculty, the "lesser school" may well provide the better education. The main reason to go to a "name" school is because that school's letterhead opens doors. That said, being a former professional athlete (after his playing days) ALSO opens doors. It's a gamble to walk away from a top school, but not quite as big a gamble as is being portrayed here.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

A $250K gamble.

But you're only talking about one side of the gamble - what are his pot odds? 

The risk of a 250k scholarship vs the potential to make millions a year as a pro athlete - sure its a gamble but the payout is worth the risk if he can potentially get 72 to 1 odds (shot from the hip example, Dempsey net worth is $18m, Mines could earn way more or way less) 

That argument doesn't even consider the inflated and artificial value of the degree to begin with. One could argue that he's actually only gambling a free degree which holds no material value beyond what he would intend to do with it once earned. 

Also, he could just get a bachelors from SNHU and then get an ivy league masters degree whenevs and it carries the same cachet. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

what are his pot odds? 

The MLS pot of gold in not on the table for this hand. He has got to play a lot more poker, before he gets a chance at the big jackpot.

The risk of a 250k scholarship vs the potential to make millions a year as a pro athlete ... sure its a gamble but the payout is worth the risk if

If. That is the magic word.
I do not question the gamble, or the risk. I simply valued the wager.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

No. I said he is above the minimum 1200 needed for an athlete at Stanford, but not the 1590 needed for a non-athlete.
A 1200 SAT is 70th percentile, and smart.
1590 is 99.9 percentile, and brilliant. Also the SAT score for the top 25% accepted at Stanford, who dont have a special category helping their application.

Haha. Where do you know this from? Has Stanford published their admission criteria for athletes and do you know his SAT scores? You are only playing to the stereotype of the "dumb jock" by assuming he couldn't possible be above the Stanford average.

Stanford is Division 1 in sports like Alabama, but they don't take the Michael Oher level students no matter how talented they are at sports. You are quibbling over trivial issues.

He sacrificed (as you agree) a handsome offer from a Top 5 University to take a shot at pro soccer. There is no assurance the guy will cut it and make much of anything in pro soccer. The moment he signed with RBNY the scholarship was gone for good (though someone could offer him an academic scholarship if he qualified).

He has school smarts and soccer smarts and by his choice and success to this point he has courage, drive, confidence, dedication and most likely a great work ethic.

Over and out.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Haha. Where do you know this from?

I previously provided a link. Something that you have not done, although you did regale us with your extensive CV. Here is another:
https://alumni.stanf...rticle_id=41064
Stanford, like most other universities, hides the SAT scores of its athletes, but the NCAA revealed a 1215 average for males 20 years ago. Do you think it has gotten better?

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

Now attending The School of Hard Knocks a/k/a The School of Hard Tackles

https://www.urbandic... of hard knocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users