12 replies to this topic

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Some mildly interesting stuff about Marsch's tactics (he wants less possession and to control the game through controlling space) but mostly notable because the NY Times has some Red Bulls coverage.

http://www.nytimes.c...orgiveness.html

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Marsch’s way — an unorthodox mix of high-press tactics, data crunching and communal therapy sessions — has been an unquestioned success with his roster of low-celebrity, lower-salaried players.

I hope they're mental communal therapy sessions. "Sometimes, Dax, I just feel like everything's a joke to you." "The guys tell me I'm being paranoid, but part of me feels like people aren't totally serious when they call me Grellinho." "Stop calling me 'little brother', Bradley; you're my little brother."

“No reflection on the referees,” goalkeeper Luis Robles said, “but I wonder if sometimes he [Marsch] is using such big words they just don’t understand.”

That Princeton schoolin'.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
One thing that is kind of disappointing about Marsch compared to Petke is that you can tell that Marsch doesn't really love this team or organization. He's very professional and talented, but it's obvious that it's just a job to him. So while I appreciate his current success with the team, if that changes, I wouldn't mourn him getting shitcanned.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

dunno, his reaction to duvall scoring in Yankee Stadium indicates something else.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

dunno, his reaction to duvall scoring in Yankee Stadium indicates something else.

Gotta agree here. Marsch definitely has passion for this team and winning. He's always very into the game on the sidelines and always comes over to clap for the supporters after the games.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

One thing that is kind of disappointing about Marsch compared to Petke is that you can tell that Marsch doesn't really love this team or organization. He's very professional and talented, but it's obvious that it's just a job to him. So while I appreciate his current success with the team, if that changes, I wouldn't mourn him getting shitcanned.

Maybe it's not for the club, but Marsch cares about THIS team and THESE players.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Agreed and I remember him (and the rest of the team) having a similar reaction in another game this year (I believe vs Portland if memory serves). I think people may get the wrong vibe from Marsch cause he has that cool, calm and collected demeanor about him but he's gone crazy on the sidelines quite a few times.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Agree he has passion for players and team . I listen to the guy in a small group and the guy has passion. If you remember his playing days he was like that too kinda fiery more so then Dax .

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Marsch doesn't have the long history with the organization that Petke had. Petke's relationship with the club is very different. However, I have no doubt that Marsch has passion for the team, the supporters, the Red Bull organization which has given him a second head coaching chance, for winning each game and ultimately the Supporters' Shield, and for going after MLS Cup. Team / organization success is partly his success. If coaching was just a job to him, he would have left the profession for a finance job after being fired from the Impact rather than wander around in the wilderness the past few years.

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Supports:Metro

you can tell that Marsch doesn't really love this team or organization

Relevant personal anecdote: away at Philly on 8/1, I'm sitting to the left of the Metro bench, second row in. After player introductions, just before kickoff, I'm still standing and Marsch turns around, looks into the stands in my direction. Without shouting, I just pointed at him, we make eye contact, I turn it into a thumbs up. He motions to the cap I'm wearing - an old Nike model with the later Metro badge - pats his chest near his heart and returns the thumbs up.

Thought he said an awful lot there without ever saying a word.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

HE HATES THIS TEAM, AMIRITE?!?!?!

:D

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I think Marsch cares and I think Curtiss cares too for what it's worth.. doesn't mean they care in the same ways we do though. 

Lots of great quotes in this one... 

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I totally disaggre. The guy is on top of everything, every game.  Really into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users