• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Dax getting between Moore and Olave was pretty funny too.

Telegraphed

Telegraphed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

DVR'ed the game on Univision because I can't stand MSG's delayed broadcasts as they show the obnoxious flashing/rotating scoreboard on the bottom throughout the game.

Anyway. Had a couple questions about the Spanish language broadcast that I'm hoping some of our Spanish speaking fans could answer.

1- Throughout the first half, the announcer kept referring to Kosuke as "Kimura-san". This would be incredibly authentic and OK if it was a Japanese announcer, but honestly from any other nationality it sounds incredibly offensive. Is this just a "thing" that SL announcers do when discussing a japonés player?

2- Throughout the game, the announcer kept obsessively referencing the middle names of players. Bradley Wright-Phillips was always "Bradley Edward Wright-Phillips". Same for Dax Michael McCarty, and a few others. Where is this coming from? These middle names are surely not on the media guide and I'm not sure any other language would deem it important to say them. Is this a "thing" because of current prominent players such as Michael Orozco Fiscal and Hector Miguel Herrera? It's clearly not a universally applied rule though, as Marco Fabian, Carlos Salcido, and others, get to live their lives in middle name-anonymity.

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

1- Throughout the first half, the announcer kept referring to Kosuke as "Kimura-san". This would be incredibly authentic and OK if it was a Japanese announcer, but honestly from any other nationality it sounds incredibly offensive. Is this just a "thing" that SL announcers do when discussing a japonés player?

No, Spanish language commentators say stuff like that with all kinds of names, not just Japanese...it's just a way of making the call more interesting, it's not meant as an insult or anything. I remember years back a Spanish announcer kept saying "All-American Chris Albright" which I thought was pretty funny.

As for the game, great win, this is absolutely the right time to find our stride. Props to the goal scorers (especially Bover for his first official aka second strike) as well as Henry and Sam, who did fine work in the build-ups. IMO that was a clear red, Hagglund knew what he was doing.

Red Bull Out

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

And I kept hearing "Ginger Ninja" every time Dax had the ball.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Whatever the south ward was doing from the 70th minute on... Keep on doing it

GSU actually did was the other 2 groups were doing for a few minutes there.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Petke with a Mourinho-ism?

“They’ve really come together over the last month or so, especially at home,” said head coach Mike Petke. “I just think this is a team that needs to sense things, they need to smell things, for lack of a better term. What they’ve sensed and smelled over the last month is that season’s coming to an end, we’re not where we wanted to be, and our goal is to make the playoffs."

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

its times like these where we really miss jan halvor halvorsen's nose on the coaching staff.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Was worried about how we would fare with Kimura and Eckersley as our outside backs but we did pretty well. Eckersley had a good game, with that only fuck up being when he failed to clear and got an earful from Dax. 

TFC attacked a lot down our left side and we were gonna be a little weaker defensively there with Kimura and Bover but Sekagya did a good job covering in their place. 

Sekagya seems to be getting a lot of nagging injuries during games. Maybe give him a game off and let Armando play from the start? Armando did ok, did what he had to do.

TFC started the second half really well but once we settled in we killed the game off.

Hope this momentum keeps going into the playoffs. 

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

And Kimura also put in a phenomenal cross from the BWP goal.  I expected that cross to end up in the upper deck, honestly.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Two things about Olave in this game. I hope he cuts that pushing shit he has pulling off on the corner kicks because sooner or later he is going to be called for it, and knowing this club's history, it will probably come at the most inopportune of moments.

Second, he was the one who kept the Toronto player onside when the pass went out wide and the rest of the line had moved up.

Cheers 

Fowler Nostrils

Fowler Nostrils

New Signing

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Supports:Pol Pot

Anyway. Had a couple questions about the Spanish language broadcast that I'm hoping some of our Spanish speaking fans could answer.

So you are wondering how outraged you should be at a perceived social injustice!  Perhaps the internet is not the right place for you, friendo.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

DVR'ed the game on Univision because I can't stand MSG's delayed broadcasts as they show the obnoxious flashing/rotating scoreboard on the bottom throughout the game.

2- Throughout the game, the announcer kept obsessively referencing the middle names of players. Bradley Wright-Phillips was always "Bradley Edward Wright-Phillips". Same for Dax Michael McCarty, and a few others. Where is this coming from? These middle names are surely not on the media guide and I'm not sure any other language would deem it important to say them. Is this a "thing" because of current prominent players such as Michael Orozco Fiscal and Hector Miguel Herrera? It's clearly not a universally applied rule though, as Marco Fabian, Carlos Salcido, and others, get to live their lives in middle name-anonymity.

That particular announcer I hear call a lot of games (I understand Spanish quite well) and he ALWAYS uses player's middle names. It's kind of his schtick.  He also uses a lot of nicknames as well. For example David Beckham to most announcers is known as David Robert Joseph Beckham, the Spice Boy, to him. 

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

This was perfect TFC sink, I am still recovering from that  after party!  :)+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users