20 replies to this topic

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From a purely sporting perspective, I actually agree with the moves.

- Ryan Meara is a starter quality keeper. Younger and makes a lot less money. He's impressed any time he has gotten the chance. It is time for him to take over the position. 

- BWP's age caught up with him. By the end of last year, he was our 3rd chose striker behind White and Barlow. It was time to move on.

From an emotional standpoint...this hurts. This really hurts. Its the end of an era. We should have won a Cup with these guys but we never did. 3 Shields to show for it though. And a lot of memories. Time to re-build and create a new era of Metro legends

I agree, more so especially with BWP. 

I also understand the thinking behind moving Robles but that move I'm more iffy about. We didn't want to have so much cap space tied up in two gk's so we went with the younger guy, very logical. I just think that we're gonna lose a lot of veteran leadership with Robles gone and it's gonna be nearly impossible to replace. And I think he has at least a few high caliber years left if he wants to continue playing. I definitely expect him to be a starter somewhere next year in MLS. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I agree, more so especially with BWP. 

I also understand the thinking behind moving Robles but that move I'm more iffy about. We didn't want to have so much cap space tied up in two gk's so we went with the younger guy, very logical. I just think that we're gonna lose a lot of veteran leadership with Robles gone and it's gonna be nearly impossible to replace. And I think he has at least a few high caliber years left if he wants to continue playing. I definitely expect him to be a starter somewhere next year in MLS. 

Assuming no overseas player could come in and instantly deserve the captains band...  If we could somehow go out and buy anyone in MLS to come in an be captain, who would we want?  Gotta be both a stud player and have the leadership we will need (and seemed to lack this year), and not at the end of their career.  I now its a fantasy given out ownership,  but everyone is for sale at the right price.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

The veteran leadership is prob why we had a shitty yr. There just wasn't enough of it. The current crop needs someone who can keep the rest of the XI in line during the game...without getting all "Captain Slappy". Past teams had strong leadership, especially centrally. So if Hamlett brings in a guy or two IN JANUARY and who are definite CAPT material. Give that fucker the armband. BWP and Robles were just too lackluster when on the field during the game. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The veteran leadership is prob why we had a shitty yr. There just wasn't enough of it. The current crop needs someone who can keep the rest of the XI in line during the game...without getting all "Captain Slappy". Past teams had strong leadership, especially centrally. So if Hamlett brings in a guy or two IN JANUARY and who are definite CAPT material. Give that fucker the armband. BWP and Robles were just too lackluster when on the field during the game. 

Its not the main reason, but it certainly didn't help.  Dax was that guy, Sacha wasn't, and Robles was last year but way less effective this year.  Very difficult to be that voice from the goalie position.  I see no one but Royer being able to wear the band, assuming Long leaves.   Parker, maybe, if he has a locker room presence I'm not aware of.   I recall some talk about Taxi wanting it but his communication skills seem lacking.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Its not the main reason, but it certainly didn't help.  Dax was that guy, Sacha wasn't, and Robles was last year but way less effective this year.  Very difficult to be that voice from the goalie position.  I see no one but Royer being able to wear the band, assuming Long leaves.   Parker, maybe, if he has a locker room presence I'm not aware of.   I recall some talk about Taxi wanting it but his communication skills seem lacking.

Sacha may not have been, but he had Felipe as his sidekick, plus they had Tyler cleaning up after them. Also, there was enough leadership that they got to a final, despite a sub par regular season what with all the instability in the backline that year. There was plenty of backline instability this yr, but NO ONE in midfield to keep shit tight and keep ppl focused.

re Parker, not sure if he's armband material, but he's the MLSPU rep in the locker room, iirc. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Taxi, period, close thread.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Main captain taxi

When he's on international duty, Parker

(Assuming Long gets sold. Otherwise Long gets the armband)

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Parker. Hes good but not good enough to leave us

5 year plan

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Taxi, period, close thread.

Agreed.  Then he can finally move to Europe after this year.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

It's Aaron Long (if he stays).  Otherwise, it should go to Taxi.

Don't think any other player is even in the conversation.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Typically I'd want Taxi as captain but I'm not sure about that with him playing with the national team and not being healthy all of the time.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
On the Seeing Red podcast, the co-host pegged Davis as a slam dunk choice, but I dont see it. IMO, he shouldnt be a regular starter for us. Kaku, CCJ, and a new signing should be the first choice CM trio, assuming we stick with a similar formation.

I would go with Long or Taxi

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

On the Seeing Red podcast, the co-host pegged Davis as a slam dunk choice, but I dont see it. IMO, he shouldnt be a regular starter for us. Kaku, CCJ, and a new signing should be the first choice CM trio, assuming we stick with a similar formation.

Its hard for me to criticize most of the players on this team when IMO coaching had a huge influence on their performance.

But yes, in a vacuum Davis isnt a lock.

I guess Id go with Royer. Even Taxi and Long had ups and downs. Royer was steadiest throughout the season and is one of the more senior players.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Davis was part of the best central midfield in the league at one point.  Kaku and CCJ have never been.  The problem is just as much that Kaku and CCJ are not nearly as good as who they replaced as it is with Davis.  Davis can be very effective when he has the right kind of players around him.  Kaku is not that kind of player and CCJ is not yet that kind of player.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

The team's gotta do something big like Marsch and Curtis did. They managed to bring in both (A)Sacha and (A)Felipe before the 1st game, to supplement ©Dax et al. 

WRT players on the team already, a senior player we're forgetting is Meara. He wore the armband during the '16 USL double. I'd expect him to be a part of the on-field leadership. Other guesses would be Parker and Taxi, with maybe Davis, but I don't think he'll be starting many games this yr. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users