87 replies to this topic

Rooney22

Rooney22

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro
Looking at the talent on this team I expect us to at least be in a position to compete for the Supporters Shield and possibly MLS Cup(but that is always a crap shoot). A lot of questions still have to be answered how ever. Will Rafa turn things around and be the midfield kingpin we need him to be? Will Conde be healthy and will he come close to the level he was playing when he was at Chicago? Will Luke Rodgers be here? How will the goalkeeping situation pan out? Will Backe use his bench to rest players and maintain a good level of fitness through out the entire season?

One positive is the continuity we finally have. Our core players are returning and whether you like him or not Backe is back for a 3rd consecutive season. Players should be familiar with each other now, there is no real learning process anymore. Continuity like this is something this franchise has rarely seen.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
We won't win the Supporter's shield... that will be LA's.

We should try to make the playoffs and go from there... but I really want to throw our weight around in the Open Cup if possible. Go for the hardware that we need so badly. Sounders have won it 3 straight years and are prime for a dissapointment.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,139 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
I think we are looking at a reasonable facsimile of last year :

Crashing out of the USOC
Barely making the playoffs
Crashing out of the playoffs before the semis

Marquez will still be a cancer, Henry will play fewer games than last year, Rodgers will take time to get back into the flow, Agudelo will either not be with the team or on the bench. Backe will continue to tacticall screw things up and not use his bench and we iwll continue to be slow in the middle.

I have not seen one thing this year that makes me think this will be any different than last year

jroke

jroke

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:anyone BUT redbull

Crashing out of the USOC

Marquez will still be a cancer, Henry will play fewer games than last year, Rodgers will take time to get back into the flow, Agudelo will either not be with the team or on the bench. Backe will continue to tacticall screw things up and not use his bench and we iwll continue to be slow in the middle.

I have not seen one thing this year that makes me think this will be any different than last year

bingo

mlser

mlser

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Supports:mls
As long as Backe and Soler remain the screw ups will continue.

Bob the MetroStars12thman

Bob the MetroStars12thman

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Supports:Metros, USA, Allez les Bleus, Jets
As with last season, on paper we should win it all. Having said that, this franchise reminds me a lot of my other favorite franchise the NY Jets in terms of both expectations and achievements each season. Optimistically, we need Rogers back, a healthy Conde, ditto for Henry, a successful #10 DP signing this summer, a dedicated Marquez and we should do real well. Realistically just like always (and the Jets) we'll probably fall short but it will be entertaining as well as frustrating.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team
First, I want to thank everyone for thier responses thus far.

But, let me throw a question in here. Does having a "true number 10" really make that much of a considerable difference of us winning a title or not? I mean, there are a number of teams in MLS that don't have one and they seem to be doing quite well overall, especially when they beat us.

If we supposed to have "the talent to win", then why does it matter? Or, better yet, did the DeRo fiasco affect the squad THAT much?

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

But, let me throw a question in here. Does having a "true number 10" really make that much of a considerable difference of us winning a title or not?

Yes, someone ran the numbers on having a Number 10 and it definitely is the mark of a successful team.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Yes, someone ran the numbers on having a Number 10 and it definitely is the mark of a successful team.

Then, who's available (or will be this summer) that we can (or should) get? Or is getting one THAT hard?

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Crashing out of the USOC

Thanks for posting this, my feelings exactly.

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

As with last season, on paper we should win it all. Having said that, this franchise reminds me a lot of my other favorite franchise the NY Jets in terms of both expectations and achievements each season.

You need to go read the LA paper. We should not win it all on paper.

Please don't give any of the Jets loser dust to the Red Bulls. Make yourself happier and root for a winner, NY Giants!

:cheers:

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Not one thing? You don't see Cooper, Palsson, Holgersson, Conde, and Lade as upgrades (at least in depth)? Continuity (so important in this league) with most of our starters? Any reason for optimism with the young keepers?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

mlser

mlser

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Supports:mls

Not one thing? You don't see Cooper, Palsson, Holgersson, Conde, and Lade as upgrades (at least in depth)? Continuity (so important in this league) with most of our starters? Any reason for optimism with the young keepers?

There is a reason why Cooper keeps getting traded, Palsson will barely get minutes, Conde will be injury prone, and Lade will not only not get minutes but will prove to be an average player. Oh and Holgersson is not even worth talking about!

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

There is a reason why Cooper keeps getting traded, Palsson will barely get minutes, Conde will be injury prone, and Lade will not only not get minutes but will prove to be an average player. Oh and Holgersson is not even worth talking about!

Lindpere will get stuck in a pipe, Henry will fall down a garbage chute after insulting some squirrels, Richards will blow up and turn blue, and Miller will be shrunk to miniature size.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Lindpere will get stuck in a pipe, Henry will fall down a garbage chute after insulting some squirrels, Richards will blow up and turn blue, and Miller will be shrunk to miniature size.

:cheers:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users