• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Not one thing? You don't see Cooper, Palsson, Holgersson, Conde, and Lade as upgrades (at least in depth)?
-snip-

Fair enough, but tell us....what is it that you see in them that tells you they'll be upgrades? What objective criteria are you using?

If it's in fact depth (and that's the only reason I can think of) then are you saying our primary weakness last year was simply that: lack of depth (leaving aside whether or not these will be serviceable players)? I know there are people who feel that way but, IMO, that's wishful thinking.

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

Bob the MetroStars12thman

Bob the MetroStars12thman

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Supports:Metros, USA, Allez les Bleus, Jets

You need to go read the LA paper. We should not win it all on paper.

Please don't give any of the Jets loser dust to the Red Bulls. Make yourself happier and root for a winner, NY Giants!

:cheers:

Fuck LA, I stand by my paper team. As for the Giants they don't resemble Metro in the least unlike the Jets. I like your hopeful analogy though it isn't reality.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Fair enough, but tell us....what is it that you see in them that tells you they'll be upgrades? What objective criteria are you using?

If it's in fact depth (and that's the only reason I can think of) then are you saying our primary weakness last year was simply that: lack of depth (leaving aside whether or not these will be serviceable players)? I know there are people who feel that way but, IMO, that's wishful thinking.

The biggest complaint last year was the lack of substitutions. Most blame it on Backe being mentally retarded or lazy or somesuch. I prefer it to have been due to his lack of confidence in the bench. Lade is a "revelation" and clearly a step up from Mike Jones. Keel starting was a big reason for our late season turnaround (of sorts), so having him as second string would mean that's an upgrade. A healthy Conde is a first team All Star. And reviews of Palsson's pre-season have been consistently favorable, with the lack of depth behind Teemu clearly hurting us last year (the final LAG game being a massive illustration of that), especially as a going-forward guy.

And its not just depth. Continuity is HUGE in this league, and another year together with a solid core of the same guys is a big positive. If we got rid of half our starters an re-built, everyone would be screaming about that being negative. So, logically, not doing that is a positive.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase
As with last year, the East is the weaker conference. We play most teams in the east thrice. We play the two best East teams (SKC, HOU) at RBA twice. We play an expansion club three times. We can build up a good record, but it'll mostly be against weaker opposition.

Idealistic prediction: 13-7-14.....53 pts., 3rd in conference.

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
Backe again, refuses to make subs until the 85th minute for every game, our team plays with no life, no flow, now passion, and we end up like last year, squeaking into the playoffs..

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team
Ahhhh... And now the veterans chime in with thier predictions. Very nice boys and girls, please keep it coming!!!

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Ahhhh... And now the veterans chime in with thier predictions. Very nice boys and girls, please keep it coming!!!

One thing I have learned in the many years I have spent following this team, never ever set your expectation too high as you invariably will just set yourself up for epic disappointment. It seems every year there is a sense of optimism before the start of the season, it is met by crushing reality that you in fact suck. However, some of our best seasons came right after a terrible season, so if you want to cling to hope...there it is.

I think that the team has a lot of quality on the books, i thought that last year as well. But as long as that talent is being managed by Hans Backe I just don't see them winning anything in 2012. The man has done nothing since Richie Williams (IMO the real brains behind 2010) was fired except underachieve and lose his locker room.

I see this team as having trademark inconsistency and a season where we should walk into the playoffs being left late. 3rd to 4th place in the East I think is a reasonable expectation based on personnel and management.

As for the playoffs, tradition tells me its out in the quarterfinals again.

To me the key is can Backe actually manage a team, his players personalities, and their minutes enough and motivate enough to get them to win at a pace our talent on paper suggests. Given I am selling Backe, my expectation is obvious.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,139 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Not one thing? You don't see Cooper, Palsson, Holgersson, Conde, and Lade as upgrades (at least in depth)? Continuity (so important in this league) with most of our starters? Any reason for optimism with the young keepers?

The important problems are the lack of pace in the middle, Rafa, (salary, attitude and field play) and Backe.

None of those are solved by any possible positivity to be gained from Lade and Palsson (not sold on Conde being healthy and Holgersson)

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The important problems are the lack of pace in the middle, Rafa, (salary, attitude and field play) and Backe.

None of those are solved by any possible positivity to be gained from Lade and Palsson (not sold on Conde being healthy and Holgersson)

Well for starters Palsson does seem to have a good bit more pace than either Rafa or Tainio, and Dax is also a much more mobile option for CM when our starters need a break. A lack of pace in the midfield was and is certainly an issue, but to say that its a more important issue than the lack of depth is pushing it... we fell apart last year because the second that someone outside of our starting 11 hit the field our team looked like shit, this year we have more reliable bench players so presumably a decent amount of the ties that were the result of missing players last year will be wins this year.

jroke

jroke

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:anyone BUT redbull
any doubt about the influence of a 10 ? Etcheverry , C.Gomez, DeRo , Morales , Preki, Donovan, Cienfuegos, Schelotto , have all won the MLS cup for their respective teams.

If I am not mistaken only chicago in 98, and Colorado in 2010 have won the cup without a legit 10...

as someone else stated there is no cohesion to the redbulls... no flow... it's just a group of guys waiting for someone to conjure up a moment of

brilliance (or luck) to save their hides . Tainio during the LA game was a beast for the first half because he took it upon himself to KEEP THE BALL

ON THE GROUND, maintain possession, and make an offensive surge against LA. Once he was hurt, goodbye offensive pressure, and see ya next

year Redbulls...........

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

One thing I have learned in the many years I have spent following this team, never ever set your expectation too high as you invariably will just set yourself up for epic disappointment. It seems every year there is a sense of optimism before the start of the season, it is met by crushing reality that you in fact suck. However, some of our best seasons came right after a terrible season, so if you want to cling to hope...there it is.

I think that the team has a lot of quality on the books, i thought that last year as well.

I see this team as having trademark inconsistency and a season where we should walk into the playoffs being left late.

To me the key is can Backe actually manage a team, his players personalities, and their minutes enough and motivate enough to get them to win at a pace our talent on paper suggests.

I agree with these pts.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

mlser

mlser

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Supports:mls

I think that the team has a lot of quality on the books, i thought that last year as well. But as long as that talent is being managed by Hans Backe I just don't see them winning anything in 2012. The man has done nothing since Richie Williams (IMO the real brains behind 2010) was fired except underachieve and lose his locker room.

I see this team as having trademark inconsistency and a season where we should walk into the playoffs being left late. 3rd to 4th place in the East I think is a reasonable expectation based on personnel and management.

As for the playoffs, tradition tells me its out in the quarterfinals again.

To me the key is can Backe actually manage a team, his players personalities, and their minutes enough and motivate enough to get them to win at a pace our talent on paper suggests. Given I am selling Backe, my expectation is obvious.

Couldn't agree more! Backe and Soler are inept in running/managing a team. Backe always has some lame excuse yet every other team in MLS seems to be able to manage and compete with the same problems. It floors me that these two are still at the helm. I really don't think that RB cares about soccer but unfortunately they have the money to do whatever they choose. There has been no heart to this team while these two clowns have been there. Even if we had the best players in MLS, Backe would not know how to establish camaraderie amongst his players.

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT
We'll win the East, challenge for the shield (I think we'll fall just short of LA - RSL), and get to the USOC final (I just get that feeling for some reason). When it comes down to individual games, who knows? I wouldn't be surprised to see us winning the USOC this season.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
What makes Soler inept?

He may have an unorthodox approach by MLS standards, but the talent brought in (both proven and unproven) is as high as any other in MLS since he began here?

Lindpere, Tainio, Rodgers, Cooper, Solli...

Tell me, how many teams that have brought in (and kept) a better collection of 5 players over the last 2+ years?

Has he made some poor decision? Did he make one terrible decision? Yes. BUT, how many flops have there been?

5-10 years ago, we saw big money flops all the time. There have been few and the level of mid tier salary players (veteran, non DP salaries) is significantly increased.

I've said this for months now, but I'd like to see how the team would operate with Soler at the helm with somebody else managing the team. At either rate, have to believe if Backe doesn't get us to at least the conference finals, he will be gone after the season.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
If the GK(s) have a solid season we finish first or second. If they struggle we're looking at 4th or 5th place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users