25 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I don't see how CM can be the biggest issue when the club went into the postseason last year with the league best defense on an incredible run of form and having an all-star CM in Adams -- AND they still couldn't get it done.

It shows you that no matter how good the defense and your defensive-minded midfielders are, you need to score goals to win titles. Offense is by far the #1 need again and it's not even close.

Unless you can bring in a CM that will score 10+ goals next season, getting a big splash winger or forward to play next to BWP is required and in my opinion more important.

We didn't have Taxi

We didn't have Taxi

We didn't have Taxi.....

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
It's less about not having taxi, and more about his replacement being pretty much useless.

If we had any other player injured - including Bwp- I say we win the series

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

We didn't have Taxi
We didn't have Taxi
We didn't have Taxi.....

Parker and Murillo did way more ball watching than Lade in that 3-0 game. So that argument doesn't make sense.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Parker and Murillo did way more ball watching than Lade in that 3-0 game. So that argument doesn't make sense.

Armas bottled it with the game plan, didn't matter who we had out there.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts

It was Armas' lack of confidence in Lade that made him drop the press, and dropping the press is why we lost.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

As naive as it sounds two positions I refuse to be worried about on this team until proven otherwise are CM and CB.  Our competitive advantage in the league is how effective we are in grooming them and picking them.  That's why no one should have an issue with the draft trade, and why we should pack the pitchforks until we have time to see what they see in our CMs.  Only CM concern I have is numbers if we don't sign a winger (because Valot would have to start there then). 

Winger and forward is another story.  We haven't groomed a "very good " starter there yet (maybe Mines, Toure or Omir can change that).  I'd prefer if more the front office's resources are diverted to positions we have a tougher time filling internally or with prospects.  CM can't be our biggest concern because of this

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

As naive as it sounds two positions I refuse to be worried about on this team until proven otherwise are CM and CB.  Our competitive advantage in the league is how effective we are in grooming them and picking them.  That's why no one should have an issue with the draft trade, and why we should pack the pitchforks until we have time to see what they see in our CMs.  Only CM concern I have is numbers if we don't sign a winger (because Valot would have to start there then). 

Winger and forward is another story.  We haven't groomed a "very good " starter there yet (maybe Mines, Toure or Omir can change that).  I'd prefer if more the front office's resources are diverted to positions we have a tougher time filling internally or with prospects.  CM can't be our biggest concern because of this

Article in the Athletic about RBNY possibly looking for midfield reinforcements this transfer window. Armas mentions that CCJ is better offensively that Adams but does not cover the same ground, and Kofi is not ready yet but would be an option in the future

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts

Article in the Athletic about RBNY possibly looking for midfield reinforcements this transfer window. Armas mentions that CCJ is better offensively that Adams but does not cover the same ground, and Kofi is not ready yet but would be an option in the future

Maybe its just deliberately lowering expectations, but referring to the potential new guy(s) as depth bothers me.  We need clear cut, no doubt starters brought in if we want to improve on last year's result.    If we're just bringing in guys to compete for a starting spot, that's not good enough.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Not saying either of those things are wrong but those were Kristian Dyer's comments on the players, not Armas's. Armas confirmed that they're looking abroad for a CM, but no real hint as to what level of experience they're looking for.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't see how CM can be the biggest issue when the club went into the postseason last year with the league best defense on an incredible run of form and having an all-star CM in Adams -- AND they still couldn't get it done.

It shows you that no matter how good the defense and your defensive-minded midfielders are, you need to score goals to win titles. Offense is by far the #1 need again and it's not even close.

Unless you can bring in a CM that will score 10+ goals next season, getting a big splash winger or forward to play next to BWP is required and in my opinion more important.

I just want to point out how stupid this is by extending this logic. Based on your thought process, if RBNY had lost every single player this offseason except for BWP and Royer, your argument would assert that acquiring an attacking player is the team's biggest need. After all, we had a great GK, great defense, and great midfield and that still wasn't enough. The problem was offense. So therefore offense is the biggest concern.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

not saying the article is wrong, and that we don't need an extra player there.  Just that if we have $1.5mm of of GAM + cap space for two players I'd rather $1mm spent on a winger/forward and 500k on CM, not the other way around.  Just based on our team composition and area of field we are better at "coaching up".  I would be more comfortable risking it with our CM options than our winger options at the moment even though on paper they are less experienced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users