205 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The idea of hiring Klinsmann wasn't a bad one, and there were positives from his hiring, certainly early on. It's not that any external guy is better than any US/MLS manager, but the ceiling is a lot higher for the top echelon of international managers. It only makes sense, as it's a much larger pool. Got to also find the right person, of course.

Im convinced that whatever positives that came from his hiring were the players taking it upon themselves to get results. Outside of a few random games we largely looked like crap. By the end of all this I think the team had completely lost their identity and their will.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Im convinced that whatever positives that came from his hiring were the players taking it upon themselves to get results. Outside of a few random games we largely looked like crap. By the end of all this I think the team had completely lost their identity and their will.

I was more thinking of more general stuff like challenging players to leave MLS, trying to have a bigger picture plan of developing players, etc. rather than specific on-pitch/tactical successes.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

I was more thinking of more general stuff like challenging players to leave MLS, trying to have a bigger picture plan of developing players, etc. rather than specific on-pitch/tactical successes.

None of that stuff happened either.

Bradley, Dempsey and Morris all told him to go love himself. If guys want to be in MLS theyre gonna be in MLS.

And as far as bigger picture plan well if you go and ask anyone specifically what he achieved as technical director even the most ardent of JK supporters will sputter uhhhhhh, ugghhhh, mmmmm, well I, I know he, HEY WHATS OVER THERE?!? (Runs away).

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Bradley, Dempsey and Morris all told him to go love himself. If guys want to be in MLS theyre gonna be in MLS.

And as far as bigger picture plan well if you go and ask anyone specifically what he achieved as technical director even the most ardent of JK supporters will sputter uhhhhhh, ugghhhh, mmmmm, well I, I know he, HEY WHATS OVER THERE?!? (Runs away).

Yep. Told him off all right. Straight to a couch this summer.

On the other hand, JK shouldve been nowhere near a touchline.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

I did say early on. If you want to look for correlation, our greatest ever WC failure happened after Bradley/Dempsey/Jozy came back to MLS.

I'm not defending JK per se, just saying that getting a manager with an authority and previous achievements is not a bad idea. As if that's a huge revelation.

Klinsy may not have been the right person, most certainly wasn't in fact, but that doesn't mean an MLS retread is, especially seeing where that got us over the last few months.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

I did say early on. If you want to look for correlation, our greatest ever WC failure happened after Bradley/Dempsey/Jozy came back to MLS.

I'm not defending JK per se, just saying that getting a manager with an authority and previous achievements is not a bad idea. As if that's a huge revelation.

Klinsy may not have been the right person, most certainly wasn't in fact, but that doesn't mean an MLS retread is, especially seeing where that got us over the last few months.

For sure. There are options in MLS you could argue for one way or another but itd be idiotic to ONLY look at MLS options.

Although...of all the World Cup winners how many had a foreign coach? Cant imagine its that many...not that were winning the damn thing anytime soon (or going even...Jesus).

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Kinda like knlinsmann was an external hire? I don't think the issue us who is hired as much as who us doing the hiring...

The insular hiring practices extend well beyond the USMNT head coaching position.  And yes, that's a de-facto shot at Gulati who has passed his expiration date as USSF pres.

#RedBullOut

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

For sure. There are options in MLS you could argue for one way or another but itd be idiotic to ONLY look at MLS options.

Although...of all the World Cup winners how many had a foreign coach? Cant imagine its that many...not that were winning the damn thing anytime soon (or going even...Jesus).

That's a function of the fact that so few teams have won the World Cup, and winners have always been from nations with huge soccer traditions and no real need to tap foreign managers. Managers can certainly have a lot of influence over how results go, but the biggest factor is always the talent on the field.

Outside of the World Cup, Chile have had a succession of Argentinian managers recently (Bielsa, Sampaoli, Pizzi - who represented Spain as a player) who have elevated them to their current level in South America and won the most recent two Copas. They are missing out on the World Cup next year as well, but qualifiers are a slightly more challenging proposition in CONMEBOL.

Greece won the Euro with a German manager at the helm.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

That's a function of the fact that so few teams have won the World Cup, and winners have always been from nations with huge soccer traditions and no real need to tap foreign managers. Managers can certainly have a lot of influence over how results go, but the biggest factor is always the talent on the field.

Outside of the World Cup, Chile have had a succession of Argentinian managers recently (Bielsa, Tabares, Pizzi - who represented Spain as a player) who have elevated them to their current level in South America and won the most recent two Copas. They are missing out on the World Cup next year as well, but qualifiers are a slightly more challenging proposition in CONMEBOL.

Greece won the Euro with a German manager at the helm.

Fair. Although I have to say that Meolas take on the current situation was persuasive. That or Im a real homer.

http://nypost.com/20...ional-team/amp/

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

Meola piece is pretty persuasive. He didn't go into the foreign aspect with regard to players though. We cannot expect foreign players who are Americans in name only, to "bleed" for the USA and be a "better version of ourselves". So obviously Tony is not interested in foreign players who find out they are USA-eligible and have no other chance to get to the World Cup.

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Meolas take on the current situation was persuasive.

Perhaps. I do disagree with his assessment of the 2002 Germany match. They were content, as in Brazil, to win by a single goal. Had we scored, Germany would have sought and most likely scored another goal.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users