827 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Team looks more dangerous with grella on field. Not saying that Grella is the best thing since Magnum PI. We will still win games with grella in the line up. However, i cant say we will win games with DP, lade or zizzo on defense. They are not as athletic to defend guys 1v1. And they need to be creative with their passing when a team bunkers. For that reason defense is the priority

Did the team look more dangerous against TFC when Mike had a SINGLE successful pass in the opposition's end?  We definitely have more possession with Mike, but that's doing nothing for us in terms of scoring goals.

Wiin games with Grella starting?  Yes.  Win MLS Cup with him starting?  Doubtful.

Grella is comparable to Tommy Mac, in terms of quality, salary, and limitations.  I hate to compare us to City, but they weren't satisfied with an OK player starting for them.  They set out to improve and got Wallace, a quality TAM-level MLS winger that you can win MLS Cup with (in fact Portland did).  Tommy Mac is still a big part of their team, giving them solid spot starts and some nice minutes off the bench.  That's the player Grella needs to be for us.

Mike is the kind of guy that can win you an MLS Cup if he's used in the right role.  That role is NOT as the starting left winger.  Watch the first Montreal playoff match.  Watch how much space they are giving him and he can't do anything with it.  He's crafty though, so it wouldn't be shocking for him to find a goal somewhere when you need it.  he just can't be the player you rely on that much.

I hate making this argument against Grella, because he's an incredibly smart player.  At the youth level, I'm constantly arguing that intelligence is underrated on the pitch.  So many youth soccer coaches worry about speed and kids not making mistakes, not about playing the game correctly.  But at the MLS level he's just doesn't give you enough to be a 60'-90' player.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

He's 20.  You don't play him over a DP/TAM winger that we may sign over the summer.  But should Derrick get some minutes on the wing over some guys that are giving us zero on offense?  I think so.  I don't know how much more Etienne can get out of the USL.  He needs MLS minutes, in a formation that works with our roster, to further develop.

Now that's the case yes.   But Grella earned every right to come back, get healthy, and get another shot at starting.  Dude was a solid player.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Watch the first Montreal playoff match.  

Have you considered that maybe you put just a little too much stock in that one game given many concrete conclusions on the team's past, present, and future issues you've drawn from it? Of all the reasons we lost that series, the only one you ever want to talk about is Grella playing the first 60 minutes of the first game... even after you've acknowledged that he was playing through significant pain at the end of last season. 

Its funny because Grella in top form is literally the only guy on the team who CAN break through a tight defense, he did so time and time again through 2015 and the start of 2016 before his injuries started taking a toll. Is it possible that he's past it forever and we should "Old Yeller" him? Maybe. But its also completely possible that he reaches that same level again with some time on the field. This notion that its physically impossible to win MLS Cup with Grella in the starting lineup, because he was amongst several guys who didn't play well for 60 minutes in one playoff game, is getting silly.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Now that's the case yes.   But Grella earned every right to come back, get healthy, and get another shot at starting.  Dude was a solid player.

So you are ready to say a 20 year old Etienne doesn't look like he's an MLS difference maker based less than on 400 minutes, which were mostly played in the 4-2-2-2 (a formation that I believe you don't think works given our current roster).

But you think Grella, based on what you saw the end of last season and the playoffs, knowing he had hernia surgery and that he was only back briefly before he went out with a knee injury (I thought staying healthy was part of being good), and oh yea, somewhere along the line turned 30, deserved to be HANDED his starting job back.  You think given all that that Mike is a starting winger on a MLS Cup winning team?  If that's the case, you think less of MLS than I do.  Does Mike deserve to be on this team?  100%. Does he deserve regular minutes?  Yes.  But start and get the majority minutes?  Yes, if we're basing it on 2015.  No, if we're looking at the recent past and present.

Marsch benched Royer at the start of the TFC match.  Not saying Royer had been all-time great, but he had been our best winger up to that point, even he had struggled here or there.  Grella starts that match, goes out and has one pass on TFC's side of the field the entire game and gets two more starts.  Did Royer have any game as bad as that one that he had to benched against TFC?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Do you know how many goals & assists Grella has this year?  It's the same number as Etienne and it's the same number as Mike has in six playoff games.  Grella should be coming off the bench.  If he or Muyl is the starter, we will go nowhere.  Just like we we nowhere in 2015 and 2016.  I'm not saying Etienne is the answer.  I think we need to sign a winger.  I just would like to try something instead of rolling the same shit out every week.

Hockey assist via backheel tho. /trolling

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Hockey assist via backheel tho. /trolling

MLS hands out a lot of secondary assists.  The fact that they didn't give one there is an indicator how this fanbase overrates everything Grella does.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

MLS hands out a lot of secondary assists.  The fact that they didn't give one there is an indicator how this fanbase overrates everything Grella does.

They're just wildly inconsistent in handing them out, which is why I think they should do away with em altogether. When I was diving through all of Henry's assists to try and measure the "Henry Effect" there were a solid 2-3 per year that 100% should have been secondary assists but weren't given.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

No problem with Grella off the bench. And agree, especially at this point i don't think he's a starting winger on a championship team.  I do like him off the bench because he's an unconventional player too.  Kind of like a wildcard. Perfect to have that type of change-up off the bench, especially considering we don't have a big man who can go dominate headers.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I generally agree with your view on present-day Grella, but that was a key pass that made that goal happen - more important than Lawrence's blind pass into traffic or BWP's (non-)finish. I don't really care if MLS calls it an assist or not.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

This quote by Charles Darwin should be taught at every coaching soccer clinic because so many coaches don't seem to "get it".:

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This quote by Charles Darwin should be taught at every coaching soccer clinic because so many coaches don't seem to "get it".:

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Agree. Marsch blew up the league. Then the league adjusted. Marsch hasn't. At this point he's a one trick poney.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Agree. Marsch blew up the league. Then the league adjusted. Marsch hasn't. At this point he's a one trick poney.

Certainly feels that way, particularly after he failed to get the right personnel in the 4-2-2-2 and went right back to the 4-2-3-1. 

But many managers have a style they want to play and make minor tweaks around it in game situations.  Jesse attempted an overhaul and fucked up the roster for the year.  If he wants to keep coaching here he's gonna need to make at least two moves in the summer, and may need to make a splash 500-600k type signing to just tread water.

We're second from bottom in the east in Goals scored, tied third from bottom in ppg, and tied second from bottom in goals against.   Not like we're playing well and just not picking up points here.

#RedBullOut

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

We're second from bottom in the east in Goals scored, tied third from bottom in ppg, and tied second from bottom in goals against.   Not like we're playing well and just not picking up points here.

We were worse until around this same time last year and the season turned out okay (before the playoffs). Early days.

Not saying we're guaranteed to improve, but Marsch deserves more time in order to be able to adjust.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

We were worse until around this same time last year and the season turned out okay (before the playoffs). Early days.

Not saying we're guaranteed to improve, but Marsch deserves more time in order to be able to adjust.

We made a major defensive acquisition in April, assimilated him into the squad and started an unbeaten run in the summer where we added more pieces.  

This year we had a clear deficiency in defense, winger, and our backup striker just walked on us.  I dunno man, sure as hell feels different.

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

We made a major defensive acquisition in April, assimilated him into the squad and started an unbeaten run in the summer where we added more pieces.  

This year we had a clear deficiency in defense, winger, and our backup striker just walked on us.  I dunno man, sure as hell feels different.

I mean, having Collin back soon will for all intents and purposes be like having him as a new signing again... Guy has played 4 games all year.

The attack feels different though. It never feels like we're in control of these games anymore, sometimes even at home and in the familiar formation. Through the 1-6 start last year we were still dominating play and putting teams on their heels, we just weren't finishing chances. I was confident at that point that we could bounce back to be a top tier team.

The expected goals stat still points to a little bit of unlucky finishing this year, but the pace of our attack has slowed down so significantly it just doesn't feel like we're ever clearly the better team in any game. Makes it tougher to believe that things will suddenly click and the team will start firing at the same level again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users