332 replies to this topic

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We can't do well if Reyes isn't at least as good as Parker, or if Pendant 2021 isn't much better than Pendant 2020.    They don't need to be All Stars, but we need to be as good or better all over the field.  We can't be good if Kaka's replacement (TBD - none of the new players) isn't as good as Kaka when Kaka's good.     That's a lot of "ifs."

kaku wasnt that good last year

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

We can't do well if Reyes isn't at least as good as Parker, or if Pendant 2021 isn't much better than Pendant 2020.    They don't need to be All Stars, but we need to be as good or better all over the field.  We can't be good if Kaka's replacement (TBD - none of the new players) isn't as good as Kaka when Kaka's good.     That's a lot of "ifs."

*ducks* Clark already is better than Kaku

To be good probably 3/5 of these need to be true.  And the Fabio point has to be one of the 3 things

Reyes has to be good. i dont think he has to be as good defensively as Parker, but still needs to be solid there and then better on the ball
Fabio has to be a TAM level MLS forward
Yearwood or Casseres need to make a jump or Diarra has to be recovered

Clark needs to develop more as a playmaker

Royer needs to find his 2019 self or Harper has to come good ahead of schedule

i feel pretty confident about the Clark point. somewhat confident about Reyes and Yearwood.  And we will see about Fabio and Royer

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Depends on your objectives.

I want to win MLS Cup.

So IMO this roster is a fucking dumpster fire full of shit.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't know any of these new guys so everything is TBD for me but I don't have any confidence that this squad is gonna be the one to finally win a cup.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

While I am not convinced the team as currently composed is better than last year's team, I am more excited preseason because there are now many talented young players.  At this point last year, the team was just a depleted version of the 2019 team.  At least this team is different with some young talent. 

Is Fabio good?  I have no idea but finding out will be more entertaining than watching Barlow and White.

Is Harper good?  I have no idea but it will be fun to watch him than whoever underwhelmed in his position last year.

Is Clark as good as Kaku?  Maybe not but he is far easier to root for. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
We just need to drastically lower expectations. Let us aim to recapitulate our barely making the playoffs status from last season, and then hope to build on it next year.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

kaku wasnt that good last year

And we sucked.  That's why I wrote "...as good as Kaku when Kaku's good."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Hearing the interview with Thelwell and Struber gave me a small amount of optimism looking forward.

A few key interesting points...

- Reyes is a player they specifically targeted for his athleticism. They had been targeting him for a while and it seems they are high on him to be a starting CB. Reading between the lines, they prefer him over Parker.

- They specifically spoke about the new GK coach and bringing in Colonel and the need for a "modern GK" to be able to build up the attack and play with his feet. Seems like Colonel will be the starter.

- They  acknowledged that the roster is still a work in progress, and that they are trying building the base and not force anything right away. They kind of said "lets see what we got" and then can re-asses during the summer transfer window. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

What did Carlos Alberto Parreira say when he took the job in 1997? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Hearing the interview with Thelwell and Struber...They kind of said "lets see what we got" and then can re-asses during the summer transfer window. 

Hmmmmmmm. Where have I heard this bullshit before...?

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Im not overly impressed ...Haska would change the mood of the offseason though for sure, if they are able to resurrect the deal

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Right now there Is no chance this squad can win MLS cup I'm
Sorry but that's just the truth.

Is a step in the right direction? I don't know only time will tell.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Hmmmmmmm. Where have I heard this bullshit before...?

i agree with you to some extent.  But still have some belief in Thelwell because while every MLS GM/Sporting Director was complaining about the transfer market he got 8 signings done, with 6 of them first team guys and 7 of them non academy signings.  I feel pretty confident that as a deal maker Thelwell is pretty good.   What we still dont know is what his budget it, but will find out this summer once and for all probably.

I like having a GM that has some method to his madness for once, i.e. explaining his preference for loans.  If we did a loan with a buy option for someone like Jorgy in the past we would be in a better place.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

i agree with you to some extent.  But still have some belief in Thelwell because while every MLS GM/Sporting Director was complaining about the transfer market he got 8 signings done, with 6 of them first team guys and 7 of them non academy signings.  I feel pretty confident that as a deal maker Thelwell is pretty good.   What we still dont know is what his budget it, but will find out this summer once and for all probably.

I like having a GM that has some method to his madness for once, i.e. explaining his preference for loans.  If we did a loan with a buy option for someone like Jorgy in the past we would be in a better place.

The only downside to loans is that it limits the players you can get.     

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Its always 2 steps forward 1 step back with this club.

Yeah we will get a reputable GM and coach...but were not going to improve the team in the offseason...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users