302 replies to this topic

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Success will depend on the backline for this one.  Atlanta's speed of play in the final third resembles ours.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Success will depend on the backline for this one.  Atlanta's speed of play in the final third resembles ours.

Agreed...

Almiron is the key.  Martinez as well.  Barco is pretty good at this point but not other-worldly.  Almiron is just so good and smooth on the ball it's crazy.  He's also ridiculous on the break.  He can play a hundred miles an hour while deciding who to play the ball to.

Atlanta scares me in general.  I'd rather play Toronto over them.  The two ways to be the most successful against us and the way we press are to be good enough to pass through the press, and to be good on the break.  They are both.  They aren't perfect defensively though.  We'll get chances against them.  

I go back and forth with what formation to use and I'd probably go with the 4-2-3-1 even though I think we're better in the 3-3-3-1.  We'll need both Tyler and Davis in there at the 6 to deal with their midfield.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Going into Saturday's game against ATL, 3 of our guys in the attack have had amazing stats so far in terms of goals and assists per minute.

https://twitter.com/...001325069602819

https://twitter.com/...001820911849474

Per the stat page here, in all comps, BWP Kaku and Haitian Messi are having unreal point/minutes played stats, if you count goal=2pts, assist=1pt.

Minimum 400 minutes played:

BWP 1pt/42.2 mins

Kaku 1pt/49.1 mins

DEJr 1pt/57.9 mins

Valot 1pt/79.3 mins

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I will be there!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Atlanta scares me in general.  

There is no team in MLS, that we should be afraid of.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

There is no team in MLS, that we should be afraid of.

Yup - they score a ton of goals,we score more.     We allow a bunch of goals, they allow more.    They don't bunker.     Turf sucks, but its not like the old GS carpet on cement turf.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Tremendous game on paper with early season bragging rights on the line. Huge crowd, good teams. Nice early season treat to watch. 

Difficult place to play, but a nice barometer of where this team is at. 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

https://www.american...is-it-effective

Great article with analytics that show how good we are playing.

Jesse Marsch’s New York Red Bulls play a style unlike any other team in Major League Soccer. They employ a frenzied, but organized high press that is a staple of Red Bull teams all over the soccer world. RBNY usually set up in a somewhat fluid 4-2-3-1. Bradley Wright-Phillips leads the line, often occupying the space between opposing center backs and shrinking the field. Right behind BWP sits Argentinian playmaker Kaku. Flanking Kaku is usually a combination of Florian ValotDaniel Royer, and DerrickEtienne Jr.; these wingers are tasked with pressuring the ball in wide areas and occasionally dropping to help the pair of deeper midfielders. Who are those deeper mids? USMNT starlet TylerAdams and fellow American Sean Davis are instructed to patrol the entire center of the field, acting as a pair of disrupters, intercepting passes, marking opposing playmakers, and shutting down attacks.

This style of play is undoubtedly entertaining and has had some success so far this season. But in order to fully appreciate the great work that Marsch and his staff are doing, we are going to look at some statistics that better illustrate the effectiveness of this system.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Their attack is one of the best in the league but the defense is still suspect. Play our game and we got this. Harass the living hell out of Almiron and fustrate Martinez and everything out quickly fall apart. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Seems like Adams v Almiron is gonna be the key matchup.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

the only way we get a result is if Adams plays in the center of midfield.  if we play him out wide we've already lost the battle going in.  so far this year, Adams has excelled centrally and disappeared on the wings. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
Im not sure I quite understand the narrative mentioned by a couple that we allow a bunch of goals. Weve allowed the 2nd fewest goals in the East and tied for 3rd fewest in the entire league.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Im not sure I quite understand the narrative mentioned by a couple that we allow a bunch of goals. Weve allowed the 2nd fewest goals in the East and tied for 3rd fewest in the entire league.

And, ATL leads the league in goals. Theyre are a dynamic squad that has the athletes that can be dangerous against the high line our defense usually plays. The ATL offense has been quieted at times this year, but their weakness is clearly on defense. We could let in a few goals and still win by taking advantage of their crap backline.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

And, ATL leads the league in goals. Theyre are a dynamic squad that has the athletes that can be dangerous against the high line our defense usually plays. The ATL offense has been quieted at times this year, but their weakness is clearly on defense. We could let in a few goals and still win by taking advantage of their crap backline.

Actually, we are ahead of them in goals per game

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Actually, we are ahead of them in goals per game

More reason we could win a shootout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users