Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

The U.S. Men’s National Team will take on Mexico on April 19 in the inaugural Allstate Continental Clásico, a new annual  money grab event that will feature the USMNT hosting a top-tier opponent from North, Central or South America.

https://www.ussoccer...lendale-arizona

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Zendejas says he is staying with the US.  Another solid to outstanding player doesn't hurt.  I don't know if he'll ever be a starter, but at a minimum he adds more depth.  He could take the place of Morris, Arriola and/or Roldan as a backup winger/midfielder.   I only saw him play against Serbia, and he looked good in tight spaces and has some skill on the ball.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

USA roster for the Nations League games is out.  Adams is hurt and not on it.  No Long, Zimmerman or Carter-Vickers, either.   Reyna is on it, as is Brian Reynolds, McKenzie and Miles Robinson.

https://www.espn.com...amstring-injury

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Pepi

Pulisic Weston Weah

Johnny Musah

ARob Ream McKenzie Dest

Turner

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Absolutely agree with Pulisic 100%. The way Berhalter and the adult Reynas acted was embarrassing and childish. Only reason why the US Federation stated that Berhalter can still be a candidate for the US National Team coach was simply for legal reasons (avoid any law suits). But Berhalter is not the right man for the role anymore. The Team needs to focus on the strong core they have. Collectively they addressed Gio's attitude in Qatar. Berhalter simply sabotaged himself opening his mouth after the World Cup in that leadership conference interview. Everyone should move on, focus together on the strong core, and embrace Gio back. He had nothing to do with how his parents acted.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Absolutely agree with Pulisic 100%embrace Gio back. He had nothing to do with how his parents acted.

True, his parents actions are not his fault, but they can still be a distraction. Its not as simple as just Gio coming back. If the Reynas continue to behave they way they did in Qatar it will be detrimental to the team even if Gio is blameless. Hopefully theyve learned something.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

Absolutely agree with Pulisic 100%. The way Berhalter and the adult Reynas acted was embarrassing and childish. Only reason why the US Federation stated that Berhalter can still be a candidate for the US National Team coach was simply for legal reasons (avoid any law suits). But Berhalter is not the right man for the role anymore. The Team needs to focus on the strong core they have. Collectively they addressed Gio's attitude in Qatar. Berhalter simply sabotaged himself opening his mouth after the World Cup in that leadership conference interview. Everyone should move on, focus together on the strong core, and embrace Gio back. He had nothing to do with how his parents acted.

no one said Berhalter acted childish. He didnt. He might have benefitted from not speaking at that conference, but I dont even have a problem with that. The house rules were that everything said would stay under that roof. Someone goofed. He never named the players involved. But I still dont think Berhalter should be the coach going forward, I think there are better candidates available.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

True, his parents actions are not his fault, but they can still be a distraction. Its not as simple as just Gio coming back. If the Reynas continue to behave they way they did in Qatar it will be detrimental to the team even if Gio is blameless. Hopefully theyve learned something.

Blame is primarily on Reynas, but if Berhalter never opened his mouth after the tourney, then there is good chance none of this comes out. Berhalter decided to get back at the Reynas through the media, which is on him. I'm not sure any of this public fallout occurs without that Berhalter interview. Berhalter would be hurt/pissed, but that would be the extent of it. 

jjtbone

jjtbone

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Supports:RBNY Player Hatah!

Blame is primarily on Reynas, but if Berhalter never opened his mouth after the tourney, then there is good chance none of this comes out. Berhalter decided to get back at the Reynas through the media, which is on him. I'm not sure any of this public fallout occurs without that Berhalter interview. Berhalter would be hurt/pissed, but that would be the extent of it. 

No one looked good in this, but I think there is no way that Berhalter could or should be the coach.  He never should have mentioned the issue with Gio in public if, as he said, the team dealt with it internally.  Also, I cannot fathom for the life of me why you would tell a young, but very talented player, that they were not really going to play a role in a tournament.  Aside from de-incentivizing a young player (rightly or wrongly), tournament play is very hard to predict and presumably he selected his roster with everyone having a role to play.  It was just a conceivable because of injury and/or poor play, Gio could have played a larger role.  I also think he is not the right man for the job, notwithstanding I think he performed far better that I would have expected (granted, I had very low expectations).  

I think the Reynas were way, way off the reservation, however, as a father myself I can see the desire to protect their son from being publicly pillared.  I can also see the argument that mistakes made as a young person should not necessarily taint you in the future.  There is some hypocrisy with respect to Berhalter's conduct with respect to his wife in college and his redemption and calling out Gio for far less conduct.  Notwithstanding that, it was cruel to Berhalter's wife to rehash what was undoubtedly a highly traumatic personal incident.  I am not one to say that it is water under the bridge, because I do not believe domestic abuse can ever be forgotten.  Nonetheless, I do believe in redemption and forgiveness and I also believe that it was Rosalind Berhalter's decision on how and when to forgive and forget.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Thierry Henry turns down the France womens job, reportedly is interested in the US men's job.

https://www.espn.com...n-usmnt-sources

I absolutely love the guy.  He would be a big change from Berhalter.  National team coaches don't have a lot of time with the team to actually coach, but I would like to see what kind of influence Henry would have on our attacking players.  Guys like Pulisic and Weah could really benefit from playing for Henry.

Can you imagine the conversation if Claudio were to call Henry to complain about Gio's playing time?

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Intriguing. Also it is early enough in the cycle to switch if he turns out to be terrible

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Berhalter shouldn't have been the coach even before the Reyna nonsense. Absolutely 0 reason to bring him back. He can take his cool sneakers and bounce

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

.... He can take his cool sneakers and bounce

pass his way outta here.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Thierry Henry turns down the France womens job, reportedly is interested in the US men's job.

I absolutely love the guy.  He would be a big change from Berhalter.  National team coaches don't have a lot of time with the team to actually coach, but I would like to see what kind of influence Henry would have on our attacking players.  Guys like Pulisic and Weah could really benefit from playing for Henry.

Can you imagine the conversation if Claudio were to call Henry to complain about Gio's playing time?

Sorta funny - the guy who might be able to benefit most is Gio. Never realized it before, but they share that nonchalant attacking vibe.... Henry might be the best guy to turn Gio into a force of nature. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Henry with Marsch as assistant or vice verse - MOST MOTIVATED TEAM EVER

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users