32 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Wasnt Kemal pushing for a move for years? And he didnt last long in Belgium and has been meh in Toronto. Taxi isnt a great example of a player RBNY should have done more for.

Yeah he was, along with Murillo. Kemar's case is a little complicated, and as much bad timing as anything. He had just signed a new contract the year before MLS started to let teams spend TAM on defenders. At the time his was one of the best MLS defenders really got, not far from the max cap hit. Then suddenly Parker and Long are being paid nearly twice what he is, but Red Bull wasn't inclined to restructure a contract they just signed. Especially since by some accounts Kemar was a difficult guy to work with.

Although I will say its a little bit of playing captain hindsight to point to his struggles in Europe and Toronto. He was still at his peak when he left NY, I personally had hoped at the time they would give him a raise.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Although I will say its a little bit of playing captain hindsight to point to his struggles in Europe and Toronto. He was still at his peak when he left NY, I personally had hoped at the time they would give him a raise.

Yea, Im not saying I thought the transfer was a good move at the time - I didnt. But, in hindsight it was a good transfer, so its hard to shit on the team for the move. They knew the right time to make the move and did so. The team has actually been pretty good about getting guys out of here right before they start to fall off. So the issue wasnt moving Taxi, that proved to be the right call, it was replacing him with Pendant.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Taxi is available again, but don't think it's a realistic option for RBNY. 

https://twitter.com/...981012937977859

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Taxi is available again, but don't think it's a realistic option for RBNY. 

https://twitter.com/...981012937977859

He is not the same player anymore

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Depending on the cap implications, I wouldn’t hate it. There are way bigger holes to fill than a 1B LB to platoon with Tolkin a la Gutman. However, Kemar also provides positional flexibility in the sense that he can play LCB in a back 3 similar to how Edwards can play RCB in that formation. Also allows for Tolkin to be used higher up the field or in CM (this would be in times of necessity, rather than a “best XI” scenario).

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Its ok to take a flyer on Dwyer or Mullins, but not Taxi? Im not saying I would, but it seems youre are usually open to giving older players on the downswing a chance.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I haven't watched him much, and he's proven to be a head case, but either way he's very much in the Dane Richards mold.  So much of his value is in his speed, and approaching 30, that's diminishing rapidly.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Toronto fans have been surprisingly complementary of his play last year, which I guess went under the radar since their entire team was so god awful.

Agreed with Scouse though, a 30 year old speed merchant probably isn't who we should be looking at especially with Tolkin looking like a good starting option.

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut
I'd take Taxi in a heartbeat. It's be great to add another veteran to the backline and he's only on $340k. Worth the risk in my mind, but the points moot because we won't and he probably wouldn't want to come back here anyway.

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Its ok to take a flyer on Dwyer or Mullins, but not Taxi? Im not saying I would, but it seems youre are usually open to giving older players on the downswing a chance.

Taxi's main skill was his speed and it is not the same level as before.

The guys you mentioned were not known for their speed but for their work habits or skill on the ball. There is a difference.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Taxi's main skill was his speed and it is not the same level as before.

The guys you mentioned were not known for their speed but for their work habits or skill on the ball. There is a difference.

I thought his timing, positioning, and tackling were also excellent.

He did get caught sometimes on his positioning and his speed saved him but Marsch was also a psychopath about the outside backs getting all the way upfield constantly.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I thought his timing, positioning, and tackling were also excellent.

He did get caught sometimes on his positioning and his speed saved him but Marsch was also a psychopath about the outside backs getting all the way upfield constantly.

if he was to come back, he would not be able to push up the field like he used to and he wouldnt have the speed to recover when he gets caught in a bad position. he is still a decent MLS player but not the same taxi. i would rather have tolkin start since he is better on the ball than taxi

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

if he was to come back, he would not be able to push up the field like he used to and he wouldnt have the speed to recover when he gets caught in a bad position. he is still a decent MLS player but not the same taxi. i would rather have tolkin start since he is better on the ball than taxi

I mean Id rather have both if money is of no object.

At worst you start Tolkin and spell him with Taxi. Im very comfortable with that.

But money IS an object so this is all pointless I guess.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I mean Id rather have both if money is of no object.

At worst you start Tolkin and spell him with Taxi. Im very comfortable with that.

But money IS an object so this is all pointless I guess.

taxi will want to be paid like a top wingback in MLS and expects to start. there is no reason to have tolkin be his back up when he can be a very good LB in MLS. who knows, if he has a really good year, he may even make a push for the USMNT before or after the WC. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

taxi will want to be paid like a top wingback in MLS and expects to start. there is no reason to have tolkin be his back up when he can be a very good LB in MLS. who knows, if he has a really good year, he may even make a push for the USMNT before or after the WC. 

No no.

IF money were no object.

I want TOLKIN to start.

And Taxi as the backup. And yes Taxi will probably want to start. But money talks so if you pay him enough he comes in and pushes Tolkin to his limit.

But again, this is never going to happen. It just isnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users