414 replies to this topic

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

If 7 words could describe our history ...

We played good, we were just unlucky.

LONG LIVE METRO

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,709 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We played good, we were just unlucky.

I see what you did there.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Now to be fair, even against Montreal this past Saturday, Kaku had a number of poor touches and misplayed a couple of passes, and definitely looked off/rusty in the 1st half. But as we saw in the 2nd half, players like that need to get more time on the field and results will come. We only needed one flash of brilliance to get even on aggregate vs Chivas and it never came in Kaku's first and only 25 minutes in the tie.

It's almost like if you give a certain player time to settle into the game he has the ability for that moment of brilliance.  Who ever could have guessed that?*

*most of this fanbase guessed that

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,118 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It's almost like if you give a certain player time to settle into the game he has the ability for that moment of brilliance.  Who ever could have guessed that?*

*most of this fanbase guessed that

You can disagree with Jesse's decision, but its hardly gross incompetence to not risk putting someone out there who still needs time to settle in, under the circumstances.    You viewed the lack of offense as the greater risk, he viewed the lack of defense/risk of goal from a mistake the greater risk.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

I guess the question should be framed a bit differently. If Kaku had been signed earlier in the off-season, would he still have not started against Chivas? I think he absolutely would have.

Having said that, I still think Jesse over-estimated chivas in both legs. I can buy the strategy in Leg 1. MLS sides in Mexico are not good. He wanted to do a smash and grab job and he almost got it done. But I think Leg 2 should have been a Kaku night. I really think he would have been able to provide more to the team before we blew our bolt in the first 45 going so hard. 

Overall though, what RBNY did in this CCL is still pretty awesome. I think we are going to rip MLS apart this season and we'll get another shot next season hopefully. 

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

You can disagree with Jesse's decision, but its hardly gross incompetence to not risk putting someone out there who still needs time to settle in, under the circumstances.    You viewed the lack of offense as the greater risk, he viewed the lack of defense/risk of goal from a mistake the greater risk.  

Gross incompetence is a pretty low bar to clear.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts

I guess the question should be framed a bit differently. If Kaku had been signed earlier in the off-season, would he still have not started against Chivas? I think he absolutely would have.

Having said that, I still think Jesse over-estimated chivas in both legs. I can buy the strategy in Leg 1. MLS sides in Mexico are not good. He wanted to do a smash and grab job and he almost got it done. But I think Leg 2 should have been a Kaku night. I really think he would have been able to provide more to the team before we blew our bolt in the first 45 going so hard. 

Overall though, what RBNY did in this CCL is still pretty awesome. I think we are going to rip MLS apart this season and we'll get another shot next season hopefully. 

I was surprised but ok at the time with no Kaku to start Leg 2.  Thought the energy was awesome.  But now reflecting on it I think it was a mistake not to play Kaku for entire 2nd half or start him outright.   

Either PK gets called (and justifiably so) and we either win outright on away goals or go to PK.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

I was surprised but ok at the time with no Kaku to start Leg 2.  Thought the energy was awesome.  But now reflecting on it I think it was a mistake not to play Kaku for entire 2nd half or start him outright.   

Either PK gets called (and justifiably so) and we either win outright on away goals or go to PK.  

I'm sorry I still don't see why you don't start him. You need a goal and you have your new transfer sitting on bench? I can maybe see valot starting over Rza but you have to start Kaku. Go all in. Trust your defense and play your best. It was clear once game started what Chivas were doing. Bunkering in and parking the bus. The fact that he didn't even start him in the second half just pisses me off.

LONG LIVE METRO

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm sorry I still don't see why you don't start him. You need a goal and you have your new transfer sitting on bench? I can maybe see valot starting over Rza but you have to start Kaku. Go all in. Trust your defense and play your best. It was clear once game started what Chivas were doing. Bunkering in and parking the bus. The fact that he didn't even start him in the second half just pisses me off.

Not throwing him out immediately for the 2nd half was just as criminal as playing BWP as a 10. For 135 minutes your tactics didnt produce a goal.

This is a mistake hes made in another past big game or 3. Waiting too long to make a change. The goal is coming the goal is coming...

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,523 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Jesse-Oh coached scared. Simple as that. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users