28 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,347 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Was Khano Smith actually playing those positions? Or was he just on the field?

Can't recall a lazier, less likeable guy in my short tenure as a fan (Rafa wasn't lazy).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Rochester Rhinos, USMNT
Roy Miller should be on the list. I dont care if he didnt play forward.

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

Digao!

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,347 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Digao!

that would be one of those divide by zero things

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

That stat says a lot.  

It's hard to go too crazy saying he deserves a ton of minutes when he's just not doing enough with the minutes he gets.  I will say he does look better this year though.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

That stat says a lot.  

It's hard to go too crazy saying he deserves a ton of minutes when he's just not doing enough with the minutes he gets.  I will say he does look better this year though.

Weve seen him play well (Royer goals last year, in Cinci US Open Cup, Portand this year) even if the scoring hasnt been there. And, its not like Marsch hasnt given either guys that have struggled to perform offensively (Grella 2017, Muyl pre-last week) minutes.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Weve seen him play well (Royer goals last year, in Cinci US Open Cup, Portand this year) even if the scoring hasnt been there. And, its not like Marsch hasnt given either guys that have struggled to perform offensively (Grella 2017, Muyl pre-last week) minutes.

Did Grella ever go that length of time without scoring?  Hell, or even Muyl?  That's glaring to play in any of the front 4 offensive positions.

Plus, on top of that, Grella and Muyl are better defensive players than Etienne so at least they are doing something out there if they aren't scoring.  If Etienne isn't scoring/causing goals then that's a bigger deal than someone like Muyl.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Even if he scores this weekend and continues at this rate, that's 2-3 goals per season. I'd hope even a CB can grab that.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,199 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Etienne scored for the reserves, they seem to be more of the "Wow" variety rather than "He scored again". His goal in the USL final to open it up, the run by himself at Richmond either as a youngster. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Metro..."

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
A few things:
Digaos one minute was as an attacking player.

Veron, Galvan Rey, Luyindula all struggled in the beginning.

Etienne has fallen victim to some insane stops. Is he telegraphing these with where he is looking?

Etiennes strikes in the USL wouldn't be saved by many GKs on the planet in some cases.

Etienne is often used as a sub when players around him are looking to kill games off. Hes had many chances where he goes to the corner or gets no support. His starts don't typically come with the regular supporting cast. Many of times its other backups.

Still very young. In his first year with the USL team, he spent more time goofing around with teammates and fans then focusing on the game from the bench. Only the past couple seasons he started to mature.

Did we immediately switch Muyl to Etienne with Muyl having one good game?
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
His play looks much better. Itll break for him

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Did Grella ever go that length of time without scoring?  Hell, or even Muyl?  That's glaring to play in any of the front 4 offensive positions.

Plus, on top of that, Grella and Muyl are better defensive players than Etienne so at least they are doing something out there if they aren't scoring.  If Etienne isn't scoring/causing goals then that's a bigger deal than someone like Muyl.

No, but both Grella and Muyl at some point in the last season or so have been the worst Metro player on the pitch.  Muyl, maybe just offensively.  Grella, probably on both sides because his running was hampered by the injury that eventually cut his season short.  Despite his lack of goals, I'm not sure Etienne has ever looked like our worst player on the pitch.  And, Etienne has looked good at times (Portland, those two assist to Royer last year were Muyl-eaque...).

My only point was, if Marsch sees something in a player, he's going to give him chances despite that player struggling some.

The only other point I'll give in Etienne's defense is that a lot of his minutes at forward last season were in the 4-2-2-2 and even BWP struggled to score in that formation.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Closed.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Fourth longest wait for a goal (from debut) in team history:

http://www.metrofana...sts.jsp?TYPE=24

To be fair, Villegas has a 2.5 year gap when he wasn't on the team.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users