310 replies to this topic

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Workrate yes but Pedro is not a good analogy. From the start he was a natural finisher, and ambidextrous. Strong possession and low cross final ball passer too (fuck they should try to get him). He put Henry on the bench with a scoring streak to start the 09-10 season.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Also, why is fullback looked at as such a negative drop? Fullbacks are extremely important in modern football, especially in systems like Marsch's.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Also, why is fullback looked at as such a negative drop? Fullbacks are extremely important in modern football, especially in systems like Marsch's.

it is definately not especially in the modern game.  There is a long list of former forwards and wingers who get promoted to fullback.  (spoken as a true defender)

See Chris Henderson, Robbie Rogers, and Yedlin.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

It shouldn't be, but the transition always isn't as seamless as a lot of people are saying (see Sal Zizzo). Winning the ball off of defenders through a high press is a lot different than defending skilled strikers 1v1 and keeping on the same page as your other defenders. Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought he could be a USMNT quality fullback, there's a huge gap between that and the subpar MLS winger that he is now. Guys like Yedlin and Rogers were leaps and bounds ahead of Muyl in ability when they made that transition, and even they took some time to adjust. Not to say that it can't work for Muyl in the long run, but in a perfect world he'd have some time with RB2 there to make sure its actually a fit.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

It shouldn't be, but the transition always isn't as seamless as a lot of people are saying (see Sal Zizzo). Winning the ball off of defenders through a high press is a lot different than defending skilled strikers 1v1 and keeping on the same page as your other defenders. Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought he could be a USMNT quality fullback, there's a huge gap between that and the subpar MLS winger that he is now. Guys like Yedlin and Rogers were leaps and bounds ahead of Muyl in ability when they made that transition, and even they took some time to adjust. Not to say that it can't work for Muyl in the long run, but in a perfect world he'd have some time with RB2 there to make sure its actually a fit.

Muyl is a smart player, I don't know if you can say the same for Zizzo.  And I don't think it would be seamless.  Rogers spent a decent amount of time with LA2 learning the position.  I'd only throw Muyl in as wingback midseason.

Someone else may have also said it, but I wrote in another thread I thought Muyl could be an USMNT level fullback.  Not saying pencil him for the 2018 World Cup, but if he dedicated himself to the position, worked on his crossing and defending, I think he could there.  Maybe not start, but be part of squad.  One of the main reasons I think that is because the National team is constantly looking for fullbacks - it's a position of need.  Conversely, we are pretty stacked in the attack and at positions like CB.  Funny enough, not necessarily goalkeeper (I'm talking five years from now).

Also, Yedlin was not a high level before the switch.  The Sounders made the move before he ever got near the first team.  He was an excellent at some of the levels as a central attacker, but the higher ups didn't think it would translate to the pros.  There was so much to like about Yedlin's game and his attitude, that they found a position for him.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
The reason i am against having him as a wingback is because i dont think he has the speed for the position. Zizzo, and lawerence are the fastest guys on this team.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Tony Sanneh was a striker in college, iirc. Played RM with Minnesota Thunder in the old A-League, and was slotted in at wingback-rightback for Arena with DC and USMNT. 

Sanneh got a pretty nice contract from Hertha Berlin after the 02 WC specifically as a RB.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Muyl will be fine.  Sophomore slump.  Happens to all the college MLS guys.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Muyl will be fine.  Sophomore slump.  Happens to all the college MLS guys.

You have to peak in order to slump, Muyl was just as bad attacking last year.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Stephen Keel was a very good USL forward as well. Brandon Barklage also converted from attacking mid with DC to defnesive mid with us then to a solid right back. Even Aaron Long played as a solid midfielder in college.

The transition works for some players, as we are attempting with Ethan Kutler with our USL team now. Stefano Bonomo was tried at CB last year and it didn't work out. Adams saw a few games in the USL at right back last year.

Don't see Jesse moving Muyl at this point.

Tab Ramos and Gio Savarese were on XM radio a few months ago talking about converting players. Thought was it needs to happen earlier in their careers, in college, to have enough time to learn and be successful.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You have to peak in order to slump, Muyl was just as bad attacking last year.

He was much better at winning the ball from the opposition in dangerous spots and quickly shuffling the ball to one of our danger men.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Muyl can run all day, hustles and is great for the press. Other than that he can't shoot pass or dribble. Nice guy to come in if we are up and trying to protect a lead. No way he is a starter with the current lack of offensive talent we have right now,

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Muyl can run all day, hustles and is great for the press. Other than that he can't shoot pass or dribble. Nice guy to come in if we are up and trying to protect a lead. No way he is a starter with the current lack of offensive talent we have right now,

Same thing was said abt bwp in the english press and woly

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Same thing was said abt bwp in the english press and woly

Love BWP, but he wasn't a starter in England, that's why he's here.

And Woly was MLS 1.0.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

To me, the kid is a forward. Plays big..wins balls in the air. Gets into scoring positions.. reminds me of twellman and woly

i agree with you that he plays big and wins 50/50 balls and he knows how to run into a space that puts him in a good position. But i don't agree with the foward part because he's been deployed as a winger and mid for so long yet doesn't have the goals or shots on goal to make me agree with you.

Because of his hustle and understanding of making runs I'd use him a a full back in a 4 man backline, but not a wing back. Wing backs have to contribute a lot to the attack.

I think he'll be best a making an overlapping run behind the winger if the winger has the ball. That makes the defender hold up from just going right after the winger and provides the winger with time and space and since Metro have been hurting in 1v1 and production from wingers this is an attempt at a solution without going out and signing someone.

Plus say the winger dishes the ball to Muyl while he's overlapping most of the time the fullback that gets that pass has time and space so it gives Muyl a chance to cross or pass without having to deal with the 1v1 in your face defending that he would and has seen at winger. Which might I add he hasn't done well against.

So for the long post.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users