272 replies to this topic

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Story on Bigapplesoccer.com.  He wanted 4 million per year.  Seems reasonable considering NYFC are paying Fat Frank 8.1 million and he's older.

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=37810

Boooooooooo

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

RB not opening the purse strings aside - 

I'm surprised everyone has the hots for Ronaldinho all of a sudden. I feel even if you asked about him a year or so ago everyone would have said pass he's way past it. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I'm surprised everyone has the hots for Ronaldinho all of a sudden. I feel even if you asked about him a year or so ago everyone would have said pass he's way past it. 

And then if we did sign him people would have whined about it being a PR move and how we're tired of aging guys on vacation and how the 3rd DP spot should be spent on a young South American instead. 

Fellaini's Afro

Fellaini's Afro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton, BU Bearcats

Agreed.

Ronaldinho has faded into obscurity the past 4-5 years by playing in Brazil. Not sure where his priorities are.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Agreed.

Ronaldinho has faded into obscurity the past 4-5 years by playing in Brazil. Not sure where his priorities are.

I wouldn't go that far because he did win the Copa Libertadores with Atletico Mineiro so he had to be doing something right. I didn't watch a minute of his play in the Brazilian league so I can't say how far he has declined but there is no doubt he has declined. 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
In addition to winning the Libertadores, wasn't he voted South American Footballer of the Year last year? I'm not so sure a lot of our fans are so knee-jerk ignorant to assume he's that far past it.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

He was awesome in last year's copa libertadores.  However, it may have been part of an effort to get noticed for the national team ahead of the world cup.  

Anyways, don't know if i can call our management cheapskates.  They did finance our stadium and training facility, while also currently paying for the salaries of 2 multi-million DPs.  It should be praised that maybe our owners are finally being fiscally responsible for the long-term benefit of our club.  

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
It may also be that they have other priorities in Europe and haven't seen the payoff in spending money here.

Which is why we need Red Bull to sell to an owner who will spend etc etc

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
This sure as fuck isn't evidence against the growing sense that Red Bull is in a state of retrenchment / austerity when it comes to our team.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

This sure as fuck isn't evidence against the growing sense that Red Bull is in a state of retrenchment / austerity when it comes to our team.

Yep, it does look like they are gutting it out and making books looking flat and pretty before the sale.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Houllier flat out said that they wouldn't be spending as much as they have been on the next DP.  That immediately rules out anyone asking for more than $3.5M to $4M, and if someone of Ronaldinho's profile and ability won't sway them, I'm not sure anybody will.  Except maybe Xavi, because I still want to believe.

Somehow I can't help but feel like this is all Rafa's fault.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Somehow I can't help but feel like this is all Rafa's fault.

in all seriousness i feel he played a big role.  Sort of like when you're a kid and your parents buy you an expensive new toy and you flat out destroy it a few days later.  You don't deserve another one for a long time...you blew it.

5 year plan

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

In this particular instance, I'm okay with being cheap.

It's Ronaldinho. Who here seriously thinks that a guy like that would be a success in MLS?

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

http://www.diariodar...aldinho-gaucho/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users