17 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I cant do it anymore with the but Barlow does so much right crowd. Barlow is horrendous. Thats my takeaway from tonight. I though we played ok. I just dont ever want to see him in a RB shirt again

Shep loves the white college guys. Stroud, Barlow, Davis,
I cant believe he has started so many consecutive games. White is the only striker I would bring back, sign Sowe to replace Barlow and bring in 2 internationals.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Shep loves the white college guys. Stroud, Barlow, Davis,

Stroud and Davis have actuality contributed a lot and I recall he liked Chris Duvall. I don't understand why some people feel a need to baselessly bring identity politics into this.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Stroud and Davis have actuality contributed a lot and I recall he liked Chris Duvall. I don't understand why some people feel a need to baselessly bring identity politics into this.

I wasnt being completely serious. It is funny to listen to Shep gush about Barlow and Stroud, 2 guys who wouldnt start on a lot of teams in this league.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I wasnt being completely serious. It is funny to listen to Shep gush about Barlow and Stroud, 2 guys who wouldnt start on a lot of teams in this league.

There's a lot to admire about Barlow's hustle and he's shown flashes of quality with his passing and runs, but he just lacks finishing skills unfortunately.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I think a huge part of that is him just trying to find some positives in a horribly negative season. We all know this team needs some better players, so does Shep but what's the point of saying something we all know for 90 mins and shitting on guy's who aren't out there trying to suck. He comments "x needs to do better" and talks about the poor quality of play enough at times that I think he does an ok job.

I know not everyone is the biggest fan of Shep but when you start listening to other broadcasts around the league we really could have it so much worse.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

I think a huge part of that is him just trying to find some positives in a horribly negative season. We all know this team needs some better players, so does Shep but what's the point of saying something we all know for 90 mins and shitting on guy's who aren't out there trying to suck. He comments "x needs to do better" and talks about the poor quality of play enough at times that I think he does an ok job.

I know not everyone is the biggest fan of Shep but when you start listening to other broadcasts around the league we really could have it so much worse.

Yeah shep is clueless wish he had played with some quality players in his day....

neiskins

beckenbauer

cough cough some pele guy or something

i enjoy shep for the most part.  Guy is a huge fan of the team and wants the best for them

and Steve is fantastic

actualy thread split might be interesting in thoughts on broadcasters around the league and world.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If you love listening to Shep, he's actually recently started a podcast.

A healthy mix of RBNY, MLS, world soccer, and just weird Shep stories like how he ate glass to prove he was tough one time.

https://bleav.com/po...ing-daily-cast/

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I saw Shep once in Hoboken once for an rbny watch party. He wasn't officially "on air" so he spoke freely to the fans there. You could definitely get the sense that he's a real fan of the team, and not just a guy who broadcasts our games. I find him to be entertaining and insightful, and we're pretty lucky to have him on our broadcast team, especially when you compare him to other local crews around mls

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I think Shep appreciates hard working guys. Barlow works like a dog, but unfortunately just not skilled enough. Stroud, on the other hand, has really given this team much needed distribution ability in Kaku's absence. I think he is a decent back-up for Kaku. Even on Sat, had an assist to Duncan and should have had one more when he laid out the ball to Tetteh in front of the empty net. Steve said he was somewhat of a discovery this year, and I agree.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Thanks for the link to the podcast. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

whether its because im used to it or they are good i really enjoy watching our games on MSG and listening to Shep and Steve as well.  For a "hometown" broadcast they are critical about the team at times but fun to listen to.  Every broadcaster has their querks anyway.

Also I frankly think they are better informed about the opponent than several national broadcasts are informed about our team.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

whether its because im used to it or they are good i really enjoy watching our games on MSG and listening to Shep and Steve as well.  For a "hometown" broadcast they are critical about the team at times but fun to listen to.  Every broadcaster has their querks anyway.

Also I frankly think they are better informed about the opponent than several national broadcasts are informed about our team.

True cheering for the team but not homers and also reasonably critical.

They also do not talk ALL THE TIME.  The tone and pacing is excellent.

I hate broadcasters who are constantly feeling the need to FILL all the airtime. Like Taylor Twellman's partner or former partner is annoying.

Oh and then there are broadcasters who have to tell you the tiny personal tidbit which is the 30 of the broadcast. 

(I like the occassionaly like Giasi Zardes originally dyed the top of his hair yellow so his grandma could see him easier on the field/TV)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Oh and then there are broadcasters who have to tell you the tiny personal tidbit which is the 30 of the broadcast. 

(I like the occassionaly like Giasi Zardes originally dyed the top of his hair yellow so his grandma could see him easier on the field/TV)

i was watching a game awhile back with my mom and they shared that tidbit about Zardes on air. To this day, whenever a game is on and she sees a dude with bleached hair, she'll ask me if that's "the guy who bleached his hair so his grandma could see him on tv"

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

i was watching a game awhile back with my mom and they shared that tidbit about Zardes on air. To this day, whenever a game is on and she sees a dude with bleached hair, she'll ask me if that's "the guy who bleached his hair so his grandma could see him on tv"

It's a great anecdote for casual fans because it's cute and easy to remember.

I had a Europa League game on the other day though, and any time a player came up for the first time, the announcer ran through their playing history from start to finish, it seemed. That's just filling the air.

On Shep and Steve, I genuinely think that they're the best local broadcast team in the league. I do a lot of media criticism, so I'm trying to look at this through an unbiased lens, but I think that's still the correct outcome. Shep definitely takes some getting used to, but Steve is genuinely a great PbP guy. There's a reason he gets picked up by the national networks for the occasional game and the New England bozos (to pick one example) never do.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I was watching LA-LA yesterday and the broadcast team was off talking about something else... and basically missed the first goal. Steve would never allow that.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users