39 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Aguedelo is part of the generation of disappointment for the usmnt. A lot of hype and entitlement for guys that did nothing. This includes... hamid..johnson... kitchen...opara...valentin...adu...corona...diskerud...okugo...bunbury...gyau...and shea...sarkodie
So many busts in that generation. A lot of the blame goes to Klinsmann for not integrating them to the national team and mls for not doing a good job developing that talent

Individual blame needs to be placed on a lot of the players as well. If they lacked talent or ability, then the system failed for not recognizing that and weeding them out. If they had both, then it should have shown, either with the NT or elsewhere. When one does not succeed anywhere, at some point the blame is in the mirror.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts

Individual blame needs to be placed on a lot of the players as well. If they lacked talent or ability, then the system failed for not recognizing that and weeding them out. If they had both, then it should have shown, either with the NT or elsewhere. When one does not succeed anywhere, at some point the blame is in the mirror.

Exactly.  A lot of those guys were put in good situations as far as clubs go and they all managed to screw it up.  

Never understood the hype with Agudelo though, even when he was here.  Kid had skill without a doubt, but didn't work hard off the ball and didn't show great vision.  

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Exactly.  A lot of those guys were put in good situations as far as clubs go and they all managed to screw it up.  

Never understood the hype with Agudelo though, even when he was here.  Kid had skill without a doubt, but didn't work hard off the ball and didn't show great vision.  

Agudelo was a legitimate prospect his first year and a half, but he really fell off hard when he started getting into Neymar and wanted to be a flair player instead of a tough guy simple striker. I still remember his goal against the Sounders when he muscled off the defender and just cracked it. If he'd stayed that player, and stayed with the Red Bulls he'd be a much better player today.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,164 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

the self-volley against DC at RFK. 

he def had some serious skills, but i never knew why it didn't come together when he was here. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

the self-volley against DC at RFK. 

he def had some serious skills, but i never knew why it didn't come together when he was here. 

With some almost unlistenable commentary from John Harkes, IIRC

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I do wonder if things turn out differently if Agudelo comes through the system now. At the end of the day, a jerk is a jerk, but perhaps the structure of the team now would have kept him in check. I just get the sense that the current coaching staff and veteran players, plus the RBNYII team, would have done a better job getting him mentally prepared to be a pro. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
I disagree about Agudelo. When he first got here, he was quite humble. I spoke to him regularly and would share stories but always refused to give names. Very down to earth. He stated he was going to stay in MLS for a while before going overseas since he watched a lot of others struggle.

The trade to Chivas and some success and USMNT call ups led to "Swagudelo". He seemed to let the success get to his head and probably is partially bitter his career flamed out a bit.

I would still consider Agudelo a success and would gladly take him back if the price was right.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,891 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I disagree about Agudelo. When he first got here, he was quite humble. I spoke to him regularly and would share stories but always refused to give names. Very down to earth. He stated he was going to stay in MLS for a while before going overseas since he watched a lot of others struggle.

The trade to Chivas and some success and USMNT call ups led to "Swagudelo". He seemed to let the success get to his head and probably is partially bitter his career flamed out a bit.

I would still consider Agudelo a success and would gladly take him back if the price was right.

You're obviously closer to it, but what I saw from the beginning was a kid who was more concerned about doing street performance type stuff, on his own, during the pre-game warm ups than actually warming up and running through drills with the team, and someone more interested in getting highlight reel bicycle kick goals than actually scoring, which spoke volumes to me.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,164 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i always seem to remember most that when he was in the attacking half with the ball at speed going at a defender, he'd slip and fall. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The funny part was I remember Backe being very open with Agudelo keeping his head straight and not buying into the hype, I think he made some public comments after Agudelo started doing some Pepsi ads. 

He did eventually mature as a player, unfortunately it wasn't until he landed in NE. That was the first time he was actually willing to do the dirty work expected of a striker like hold up play, simple passing, defensive work, etc... Injuries have been what's held him back recently, but I'm with you, I'd take him back too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users