73 replies to this topic

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

No matter what corporate says they will always be Metro to me. Its possible to support the "team" but object to the "ownership of the team" case in point see the Red Knights and Man United. Its great they financed a great stadium for our team, doesn't excuse them ripping the identity apart and turning out team into a branding experiment.

4+ years on and some people still just dont get this.

My thoughts exactly. Whatever the case, though, I've always thought it's important to support your local club. Names can change, but hearts stay where they are.

Red Bull Out

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

No matter what corporate says they will always be Metro to me. Its possible to support the "team" but object to the "ownership of the team" case in point see the Red Knights and Man United. Its great they financed a great stadium for our team, doesn't excuse them ripping the identity apart and turning out team into a branding experiment.

4+ years on and some people still just dont get this.

Exactly. None of the haters are saying denounce the team, don't go to RBA ! All we require is a little humility and the acknowledgment that our local team is a marketing / branding scheme to sell soda.
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

...and the acknowledgment that our local team is a marketing / branding scheme to sell soda.

But its not, and its a trivial concern even if it was.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RBNY 4 LIFE

RBNY 4 LIFE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Chelsea
MF, can you please move this ridiculous thread to BTDH.

If you dont like the team, stay the fuck home and turn off your TV.

Go buy your own team if it is that awful to have the Red Bulls here. Jesus.

And C'mon USA, we are sooooo proud of you to come aboard. Must have been a tough, tough decision to root for a team :)+

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Exactly. None of the haters are saying denounce the team, don't go to RBA ! All we require is a little humility and the acknowledgment that our local team is a marketing / branding scheme to sell soda.

Speak for yourself on that last part. I think the RB identity sucks but I don't think any supporter needs to explain himself.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

And C'mon USA, we are sooooo proud of you to come aboard. Must have been a tough, tough decision to decide to root for a team :)+

Who is that supposed to be directed at? People who hate the name but love the team?

C'Mon U.S.!

C'Mon U.S.!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Supports:West Ham, USMNT

And C'mon USA, we are sooooo proud of you to come aboard. Must have been a tough, tough decision to decide to root for a team :)+

it was many nightmares of missing out on RBA. woke up with the sweats a few times.
COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim charoo!
we are those bastards in claret and blue!

RBNY 4 LIFE

RBNY 4 LIFE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Who is that supposed to be directed at? People who hate the name but love the team?

It's directed at all those that constantly complain about the same thing over and over. The team is called the Red Bulls...they have been around since 2006...I doubt its gonna change any time soon. I doubt it will be called Metrostars again. If you hated it so much when they changed the name you should have turned your back on them then, but instead people would rather bitch and moan for a life time. I just can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages...it's stupid. Either you like the team or you don't. Go root for the Galaxy...I hear they kept their name since 96 and have a cool stadium too.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

It's directed at all those that constantly complain about the same thing over and over. The team is called the Red Bulls...they have been around since 2006...I doubt its gonna change any time soon. I doubt it will be called Metrostars again. If you hated it so much when they changed the name you should have turned your back on them then, but instead people would rather bitch and moan for a life time. I just can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages...it's stupid. Either you like the team or you don't. Go root for the Galaxy...I hear they kept their name since 96 and have a cool stadium too.

It's directed at all those that constantly complain about the same thing over and over. The shootout is here to stay... it's been around since 1996...I doubt it's gonna change any time soon. I doubt we'll ever have draws again. If you hated it so much when they changed the scoring format, you should have just turned your back on the league then, but instead people would rather bitch and moan for something they believe in.

How'd I do?

RBNY 4 LIFE

RBNY 4 LIFE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

It's directed at all those that constantly complain about the same thing over and over. The shootout is here to stay... it's been around since 1996...I doubt it's gonna change any time soon. I doubt we'll ever have draws again. If you hated it so much when they changed the scoring format, you should have just turned your back on the league then, but instead people would rather bitch and moan for something they believe in.

How'd I do?

You're hired

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

How'd I do?

That might as well be a verbatim quote from the old MLS-NY e-mail list, so you did well.

C'Mon U.S.!

C'Mon U.S.!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
Like I said earlier, if you wan a second club in NY... we will have to show everyone in MLS that NY/NJ loves football.

if they cant get attendances in one stadium, what makes you think they woudl consider a second team?

Trust me, I'm all for having a NY team, that is my wish, too. But if RB is going to average 10k a game, they wont even think about thinking of a second team in the area. If a new lcub comes to NYC or this NYFC (which I plan on attending) takes off, i won't lie, I will be rite there and never go to RBA again (unless it a national team game or my new club is playing them)..despite how much I love the stadium. I'm sure other will follow and do the same as me.

Until then, take advantage that we have an MLS club here.

Red Bull is the name. I don't like it either. However, Who cares? All that matters is your intentions. The players don't deserve to be mocked because of it, and by them playing, making whats probably a menial salary, they are doing US a favor. By providing US with our favorite sport/what means most to us in life (atleast for some, myself included). By supporting the team, it will only permit football to grow in this country, thus providing more talent for the league (because people will see you can make a good salary in the MLS), which will then provide US with a better quality of play. It's all a trickle down effect.

If you can't see that, then you are just being stubborn like I was.

C'Mon U.S.!

C'Mon U.S.!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

How'd I do?

when did they change not having draws?

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

when did they change not having draws?

Garber changed it for the 2000 season. He got rid of the shoot-out and backwards-running clock literally on the day of the 1999 MLS Cup final.

Point being, MLS is still at a point where it has to listen to its core fans and at least consider their input. They've done it before (Garber's changes, Seattle fans choosing the name "Sounders" with a write-in campaign, etc) and they'll do it again.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

But its not, and its a trivial concern even if it was.

So when the chief marking executive of Red Bull GmbH comes out and says that the soccer invetsement is part of the overall North American marketing portfolio along with the sponserships of the X-Games athletes, the promotional events, racing etc and these investments are to increase the global brand recognition of Red Bull in this region...that is not proof enough for you to simply admit its true? (but even knowing that your going to support the team anyway)
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users