47 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

new-york-red-bulls-mls-supporters-shield

Who gives a fuck about a stupid postseason tournament made up by NFL executives?  We won the Supporters Shield.  We were the best team over the course of the 34 game season.  We are the Champions.  Fuck MLS and their devotion to mediocrity.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

new-york-red-bulls-mls-supporters-shield

Who gives a fuck about a stupid postseason tournament made up by NFL executives?  We won the Supporters Shield.  We were the best team over the course of the 34 game season.  We are the Champions.  Fuck MLS and their devotion to mediocrity.

I do

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I do

Well, you shouldn't.  Former NFL executive Don Garber changes the rules for the MLS playoffs every season, while changing all kinds of other rules whenever he feels like it.  The format of the playoffs changes every year.  A 34 game season to determine playoff seeding for the top 12 teams out of 20 and then two-game elimination rounds and a one-game championship match?  It's fucking stupid.

Metro fans have a reputation for being the outlaw renegades of MLS.  We've never taken shit from Don Garber.  We still shout YSA.  We were chanting "Asshole" during the game -- over 25,000 fans together.

The Supporters Shield is a real championship trophy created by the supporters to designate the true champion of the league.  Fuck MLS and their celebration of mediocrity through their gridiron football playoffs, which this year will be contested between the 3rd and 4th best teams in the league.  Seriously, fuck them.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Well, you shouldn't.  Former NFL executive Don Garber changes the rules for the MLS playoffs every season, while changing all kinds of other rules whenever he feels like it.  The format of the playoffs changes every year.  A 34 game season to determine playoff seeding for the top 12 teams out of 20 and then two-game elimination rounds and a one-game championship match?  It's fucking stupid.

Metro fans have a reputation for being the outlaw renegades of MLS.  We've never taken shit from Don Garber.  We still shout YSA.  We were chanting "Asshole" during the game -- over 25,000 fans together.

The Supporters Shield is a real championship trophy created by the supporters to designate the true champion of the league.  Fuck MLS and their celebration of mediocrity through their gridiron football playoffs, which this year will be contested between the 3rd and 4th best teams in the league.  Seriously, fuck them.

Meh, you're selling this too hard. Shields are cool, but we need a cup. No way around it.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
Wellp. You've settled for mediocrity. This team, this franchise is a loser...

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I love winning the shield, I was there in Chicago this year and enjoyed that experience so much.

Problem is I also want to see our team win a Cup. It's something we have never done, the day we get to raise the cup and finally get a star above our badge will be a glorious day.

You can argue that you don't care about the cup and that shield is more important but it really just comes off as an excuse for when we don't win the cup.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm still happy that we won the Shield.

I'm still unhappy that we haven't won a Cup.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I'm happy to win the Shield any and every year, but I want to win MLS Cup too. 20 seasons, 20 chances to win it. We've been to the Final once. Two years in a row now we were within a goal of getting back to a Final. The club needs to win it and get this monkey off its back. I also want a U.S. Open Cup and a CONCACAF Championship. After 17 seasons of zero trophies, the past three seasons have seen two Supporters' Shield championships and two Eastern Conference championship appearances. The future with the USL and PDL teams, the Academy, the training facility, etc., looks very, very bright. I can see us winning several trophies over the next three seasons, and hopefully an MLS Cup will be among them. 

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

This thread reminds me of this exchange from the movie Liar Liar (1997)

Max: My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.

Fletcher: That's just something ugly people say.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I am correct about this issue. The entire world agrees with me. I know people are hurting right now, but if you'll come to understand that I'm right if you really stop and think about it.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

The entire world does not agree with you, but OK. 

When the league has a balanced schedule and the objective is finishing top of the league, maybe you'll have a point. But we rested Henry at New England in July for a reason, because the supporters shield means jack shit.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

This thread reminds me of this exchange from the movie Liar Liar (1997)

Max: My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.

Fletcher: That's just something ugly people say.

Hahah so valid

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
To win the treble, we would need Supporters Shield, U.S. Open Cup, and MLS Cup.

Therefore, the MLS Cupis an essential piece of hardware.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

New England Patriots.  They have four championships in 55 years and we have two championships in 20 years.  Pretty close to the same ratio.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

To win the treble, we would need Supporters Shield, U.S. Open Cup, and MLS Cup.

Therefore, the MLS Cupis an essential piece of hardware.

I'm not saying that the Audi Cup isn't an important trophy, because obviously it is.  I'm just saying it's not more important the Supporters Shield, which is how soccer works.  For example, when we made the MLS Cup Final in 2008, I was ecstatic, but that's because it was our only shot at a trophy that season.  After we won the Supporters Shield in 2013 and this past season, I didn't really care as much about the Audi Cup anymore.  I still went to the games, but it was just a fun extra thing to try and win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users