5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:03 AM

All-time favorite Trek bit character:
Lieutenant Kevin Riley
Posted Image

"Now attention, cooks: this is your captain speaking. I'd like... double portions of ice cream for the entire crew. And now, crew: the captain will render an ancient Irish fable... ~ I'll take you home again, Kathleen ~..."

"Uh, Lieutenant Uhura... you've interrupted my song. Er... I'm sorry, but there'll be no ice cream for you tonight."

"Attention crew: this is Captain Riley. There will be a formal dance in the... bowling alley at 1900 hours, tonight. Stand by for more orders..."

"Uh, this is Captain Riley, crew: I have some additional orders. In the future, all female personnel are to wear their hair loosely about their shoulders. And use restraint in putting on your makeup; women – women should not look 'made-up'. Now, crew: I will render 'Kathleen' again...one...more...time!"

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#17 josh24601

josh24601

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

...yeah i had to do it...

carry on

Says the guy all over the Comic Book thread like a fly on shit.

#18 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:24 AM

All-time favorite Trek bit character:
Lieutenant Kevin Riley

Dunno how into the novels you are (I dabbled for a while but then stopped reading them) but one of the first ones I read was Probe, a book that is a sequel of ST: IV.

I don't remember from when I read it (it was a long time ago), but it seems Kevin Riley is featured in that book.

Dunno if he takes over a ship's PA and sings anything, though.

#19 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:04 AM

I read a couple books when I lived in Baltimore with my dad and was bored out of my fucking mind.
Not since then though.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#20 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

Says the guy all over the Comic Book thread like a fly on shit.

i wanted an essay response! booooo

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#21 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

I read a couple books when I lived in Baltimore with my dad and was bored out of my fucking mind.
Not since then though.

The only one I would recommend as a really good one that you should read no matter how bored or not is Imzadi by Peter David.

Lots of other ones are very much esteemed, I am also thinking of Best Destiny about young Kirk (the version that happened in the "original" universe) which the writers of the latest movie used as a reference.

#22 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:35 AM

i wanted an essay response! booooo

I only write essays about things that interest me.

#23 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

I've finally seen the thing. And as a Trekkie most partial to TNG, I am simultaneously impressed and pissed, much as I was the first couple of times Landycakes scored for the Gs. A few scattered observations:

-The casting for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, and Scotty were outstanding. On the other hand, I have no criticism of John Cho as an actor, but he looks nothing like George Takei/Sulu. Nor did their Sarek look anything like Mark Lenard. And Chekov was a baby-faced ensign for season 2 of the original series; even by making him 17, his presence makes no damn sense. They would have been better off making him the "original" Chekov's uncle or something.

-I liked how Scotty was in Starfleet purgatory for losing "Admiral Archer's prize Beagle". Was this Porthos from Enterprise, in which case the poor critter must have been incredibly old, or perhaps one of his descendants?

-I didn't catch his name in the credits, but I could have sworn one of the Vulcan scientists preparing Old Spock for his doomed-to-failure mission was Tuvok (Tim Russ) from Voyager.

-The have indeed freed themsleves from the "established" chronology, arguably by stomping the shit out of it, wiping their butts with it, and skull-fucking its head. In particular, the jerking with Klingon history better not cost us Worf, one of my favorites from TNG. If so, I will be, like him, NOT a merry man:
Posted Image

-Nero is still a stupid name for that character; it's like they pulled the name of a famous Roman villain at random out of their asses. Someone more famously associated with Roman grudgeholding, like Cato or Scipio Aemilianus, would have been a more appropriate namesake.

-I hope Vulcan isn't irrevocably wiped out. They raised Spock from the dead; surely they can bring back his planet, too. In any case, I am eager for the surely-inevitable series of sequels, so this flick has surely done its job. Indeed, my students, whom I'm accustomed to see giving me me blank looks when I reference Trek, are all over this, so they seem to have successfully rebooted the franchise. But I'm still pissed at what they did to the chronology. And just for the record, Picard over Kirk to the bitter fucking end, goddammit.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#24 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

I caught that about the beagle, too...What's the timeline on Archer compared to Koik?

Kirk::Picard
as
apple::orange

Both grow on trees, both are decorated Starfleet Captains, both had a ship named Enterprise, both are bald in real life, but beyond that...
For me, Kirk is like that cute girl next door you boffed in High School but who was kind of ditzy and probably got fat later. Fond memories, but not completely satisfying. It's not the character or the actor's fault that the series wasn't well heeled enough to fully realize the character.

Picard is the smart sensible chick from college you dated for like 8 years. Much closer to what you want in a REAL Starfleet Captain, and a much better interpretation by the actor and the series developers.

And you are right, Nero is stupid name, no matter what the Roman-ish justification for it is. Might as well call him Butch Cassidy from planet Dodge City.

I fear you are right though...hence the concern I expressed earlier over the Khitomer Massacre. The Klingons have been totally re-imagined, and without seeing the cut scenes, it's hard to say what JJ Abrams has in mind. I hope Josh's opinion that JJ Abrams viewpoint on time is that it all somehow goes in the 'correct' path regardless what happens leaves us with a Worf, because I like the dude, too.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#25 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

I only write essays about things that interest me.

sex apparently not one of them... <_<

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#26 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, MLS & USMNT

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

only the rescued and off world Vulcans survived. There will still be pointy eared bastards, but a lot less than until now.

I am really looking forward to these cutscenes, aswell as the Klingons and hopefully further down the line Andorians...

I had to buy and eat some junkfood at Burger King today in order to get those 4 star trek glasses, hope they make it back home safely and in one piece each...

ps The Writers-Directors sometimes read fan comments and in one of those I have once written that it would be nice to acknowledge other trek series, espially ENT and Archer... I wasnt the only one to do so, but is some fanboy-ish thinking I hope I was one of those comments who influenced them....

Btw I was on Vulcan yesterday, sort of... went to the Vasquez Rocks....

#27 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

sex apparently not one of them... <_<

Don't you have some Green Lantern posts to make?
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#28 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Have you read Star Trek: Countdown? They made a series of short comics that told Nero's and Spock's backstory, pretty cool. Spock narrates in the mind meld how it all happened - this is that story.

We get Admiral Picard, Capt. Data of the USS Enterprise E, etc. helping Spock, and see him and Nero sucked into the singularity he creates.

Cool, I'll have to track that down. I'm especially intrigued to hear of Data as Captain of the Enterprise. I mean, the godawful Nemesis sure made it look like he gets killed at the end.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#29 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

-I liked how Scotty was in Starfleet purgatory for losing "Admiral Archer's prize Beagle". Was this Porthos from Enterprise, in which case the poor critter must have been incredibly old, or perhaps one of his descendants?

Well the real funny thing is that Archer would be like 130 or so when the Enterprise launched. So just go with it and give them a bit of wiggle room :)

-I didn't catch his name in the credits, but I could have sworn one of the Vulcan scientists preparing Old Spock for his doomed-to-failure mission was Tuvok (Tim Russ) from Voyager.

That would be super fucking cool. I noticed a black Vulcan. Whether it was Tuvok or not, I am going to believe it was. A better question: Did Tuvok's ancestors survive in the new universe? I believe the same about that as I do Worf...

-The have indeed freed themsleves from the "established" chronology, arguably by stomping the shit out of it, wiping their butts with it, and skull-fucking its head. In particular, the jerking with Klingon history better not cost us Worf, one of my favorites from TNG. If so, I will be, like him, NOT a merry man:

No, the opposite. "Canon" as we know it is untouched, to a degree. Here's all that's happened new to the universe we all know:

Without getting into the story of the Countdown comic so as to not spoil it for those who haven't read it, the universe that we have known from the 60's on is untouched. Well, the only difference is that Romulus is now gone, and Spock vanished through a wormhole stopping it from killing any other planets. Everything that happened before that hasn't changed. Worf is still around, Klingons are Klingons, etc.

But this movie followed Spock through the wormhole and into an alternate universe. As far as we've seen, the "future" (TNG, DS9, etc) hasn't happened yet in that universe (it hasn't been shown). And new alternate adventures are facing the NCC-1701.

So, do you REALLY think, if they ever get around to taking this alternate universe far enough forward to get to the TNG characters, that they would make a story WITHOUT freaking Worf, one of the most popular characters in Trek ever? Think about it.

-Nero is still a stupid name for that character; it's like they pulled the name of a famous Roman villain at random out of their asses. Someone more famously associated with Roman grudgeholding, like Cato or Scipio Aemilianus, would have been a more appropriate namesake.

Meh, Nero is a Romulan name... Otherwise why would there be a Romulan named Nero? :D Seriously though, you have a race of beings named after Romulus and Remus, from an ancient Earth legend. That makes sense, but one of them named Nero is a crazy thing??

-I hope Vulcan isn't irrevocably wiped out. They raised Spock from the dead; surely they can bring back his planet, too. In any case, I am eager for the surely-inevitable series of sequels, so this flick has surely done its job. Indeed, my students, whom I'm accustomed to see giving me me blank looks when I reference Trek, are all over this, so they seem to have successfully rebooted the franchise. But I'm still pissed at what they did to the chronology. And just for the record, Picard over Kirk to the bitter fucking end, goddammit.

Well again, they didn't do anything to the chronology in reality. The only thing they added to the chronology that we know is the destruction of Romulus in post-Nemesis TNG time, and Spock vanishing through the singularity. Everything else is in an alternate timeline. Like the TNG Episode Parallels where Worf flickers around through a bunch of alternate realities (a super fucking cool episode and one that gave the writers the idea for this movie timeline)... We are seeing the voyages of the NCC-1701 in one of those alternate realities. All the 60s episodes still happened in the one we know so well.

But the real reality is that Paramount decided to reboot the franchise a la Batman, and came to Abrams and said "Would you like to be the one in charge of it?" And thank God for that, because if he said no, we could have had Michael Bay or something rewriting everything we know, making Scotty a Rastafarian, etc. without even bothering to make it in an alternate timeline. But Paramount was going to reboot it regardless, and I'm glad I get to see an alternate reality of Kirk & Co. that are so good at playing Kirk & Co. without worrying about canon - because the canon we know is not this reality. But, as we've seen, there are still lots of similarities because they want it to remain familiar to us as well. They've having their cellular peptide cake and eating it :)

Oh, and if there's any civilization that can recover with a remnant and rebuild, I'm willing to believe it is Vulcans.

#30 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Cool, I'll have to track that down. I'm especially intrigued to hear of Data as Captain of the Enterprise. I mean, the godawful Nemesis sure made it look like he gets killed at the end.

Yes, they address it, and he and Spock have a fun little conversation about that.

If any of you want to read it before the game, it's not long, and on my phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users