31 replies to this topic

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Its peak mls to not just do the simple thing and put each round on the sat/Sunday instead of midweek and then a strange 10 day break till the final.

Who cares about nfl / college football were not winning those fans so just stop trying people who care about mls care about it.

I think it has more to do with the teams playing in venues that will cause problems on weekends (Boy City/Yankees, Atlanta United/Falcons, Seattle Sounders/Seahawks, LA Galaxy/Chargers New England Revolution/Patriots). All these teams are currently playoff teams and would cause potential nightmare scenarios if these games were played on the weekend and conflicted with the other leagues. MLS did this to themselves. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I think it has more to do with the teams playing in venues that will cause problems on weekends (Boy City/Yankees, Atlanta United/Falcons, Seattle Sounders/Seahawks, LA Galaxy/Chargers New England Revolution/Patriots). All these teams are currently playoff teams and would cause potential nightmare scenarios if these games were played on the weekend and conflicted with the other leagues. MLS did this to themselves. 

Why not Friday night games at least then? Friday to Sunday should be plenty of time to convert over for an NFL game.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Why not Friday night games ... should be plenty of time to convert over for an NFL game.

NFL begin field tests 72 hours prior to games:
https://operations.n...-certification/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Didnt know that, seems quite ridiculous for that garbage turf that Atlanta, Seattle and New England play on.

At least for next season when the new Los Angeles NFL stadium opens up the Galaxy won't have to worry about this anymore.

The schedule should really be based on who is hosting, if it's any MLS only stadium the games should at least be on Fri/Sat/Sun. For the rest let them play on the weekdays instead.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I agree with the Friday night strategy.  That's when they should do it.  Thursday, Saturday and Sunday is brutally difficult to break through the College Football and NFL noise.  But if you do it on a Friday, you get a clean schedule, people can take a half day and make an event of it.

I am not a fan of the midweek games, but I'm also a realist.  College and pro-football dominate TV sets in this country.

#RedBullOut

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

weird schedule wouldn't mind a Friday - better for scheduling maybe take half day and avoids college football and NFL heavy schedule on TV as they clearly are focused on getting TV viewers.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I could be mistaken, but I believe its the same for Yankee Stadium, as well.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I believe its the same for Yankee Stadium.

Would not be surprised.
I have not compared the Yankee and BoyCity schedules,
but would expect Yankees to leave on a road trip,
then BC take over the field, set-up, play,
then remove the sod prior to Yankee return.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Its peak mls to not just do the simple thing and put each round on the sat/Sunday instead of midweek and then a strange 10 day break till the final.

Who cares about nfl / college football were not winning those fans so just stop trying people who care about mls care about it.

ESPN and Fox care.

Unless we dont want national television coverage, this is why these games are weekdays.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

ESPN and Fox care.

Unless we dont want national television coverage, this is why these games are weekdays.

Yeah agreed.  They want people to watch.  But I do think it's a missed opportunity to not do it on a Friday.

#RedBullOut

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

I could be mistaken, but I believe its the same for Yankee Stadium, as well.

IIRC, it takes 3 days to convert from baseball to soccer. And then 3 days to convert back to baseball.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

ESPN and Fox care.

ESPN and Fox would be an issue on Saturday (full slate of college football). Both ESPN and FS1 would have open slates on Sunday but FOX would not with the NFL games on in different markets across the country. A lot of you have mentioned Friday but ESPN and FS1 are also airing prime time college football on Fridays during the fall as well. They could get creative and have a certain game on FS1 or ESPN2 but again you'd be hard pressed mixing and matching east coast and west coast MLS games with the college football schedules. Between TV coverage and the stadium issues I highlighted above the MLS backed themselves into a corner and the weekday games are the only alternative. 

This of course leads to the discussion of switching up the MLS schedule completely. Adding a winter break, taking advantage of the summer when most of the major sports leagues are off or possibly eliminating the playoffs completely (likely not happening in this country) and going the traditional table route. What the perfect scenario is I'm not sure but the current one isn't ideal. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars
Why cant those assholes just make all games on the weekends? You play entire year for this, and then it comes down to a Wednesday night - a workday. Not that we have to worry about metro hosting conference semifinals or finals but still. Extremely stupid and inconsiderate.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Why cant those assholes just make all games on the weekends? You play entire year for this, and then it comes down to a Wednesday night - a workday. Not that we have to worry about metro hosting conference semifinals or finals but still. Extremely stupid and inconsiderate.

It's even worse for the away fans, more people can travel on the weekend but the MLS doesn't give a shit about that either.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Holy fuck this is absolutely horrendous. These games should be on the fucking weekend. Fuck this bullshit. Good thing we won't have to worry about it at this rate anyway.

Absolutely agree most if not all should be on the weekend and if they're smart not at the same time as bigger college football games but surely with how college football is they're games all day long so they may just have to play at night when it's colder to avoid the bigger chunks of the games
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users