43 replies to this topic

#1 Section 18 Hooligan

Section 18 Hooligan

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

So, in an effort to bring everybody up to speed with our trademark battle...

Tommy, Eddie and I first learned of the actions of a few individuals when we decided to trademark the logo and name ourselves.

To make a long story short we hired an attorney, who then drafted a Cease and Desist letter to the parties involved. At this point everything asked for in the C&D letter has been met or is in the process of being met.

Many people have asked if they can help out with legal costs, which to date total just shy of $2000. Tommy, Eddie and I have covered the costs of the trademark process out of our own pockets (roughly $1000) and have no intention asking for contributions to cover the costs associated with the trademark itself.

Our attorney's fees have reached a total of $990. These are fees related solely to protecting what we all have worked so hard to create and/or build over the last 6+ years. We feel that profits from merchandise sales should be reinvested into LARS and as such will not ask for reimbursement on that end.

So if you feel compelled to help offset the costs of our legal battle any and all contributions/donations will be greatly appreciated. Please speak to me privately at any of the coming matches or feel free to email me s18h@lariotsquad.org.

Once again, thanks to everybody for all of your support!

#2 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

Wow! Great job guys and I will definitely chip in a little bit (enough to help the attorney buy his/her Starbucks for a week).

Damn, so if I wanted to write, "Riot Squad - the Musical" I would have to get legal permission and everything!
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#3 socluis90

socluis90

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA, Guatemala

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

How about a paypal address for us lazy people who will probably forget on game day anyways?

#4 mandarindeli

mandarindeli

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:film, my artwork, writing, listening to music, wasting time on the internet, soccer
  • Supports:Galaxy, Chelsea, USMNT, England

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

Can do. Will contribute at this weekend's BBQ.

#5 Chalky

Chalky

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

My witty posts are payment enough

#6 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

I'll add to the can.

Also, if any man hours are required to do legal research, whatever your high priced hourlies don't want to do, I have 30 pro bono hours to donate. Let me know.

#7 GirlInTheDirtyShirt

GirlInTheDirtyShirt

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts
  • Supports:PGP & FHF

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

I'll add to the can.

Also, if any man hours are required to do legal research, whatever your high priced hourlies don't want to do, I have 30 pro bono hours to donate. Let me know.

Hold off, I'm going to Vegas this weekend and might need those.

I kid, I might need those here in LA. Either way, I've got a bit of cash to donate to the LARS Legal Fund. I'll try and tripple it this weekend though.

Good work, fellas.
Fuck you. Seriously.

#8 USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, Arsenal

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:36 AM

Trademarks are for suckers.

#9 bob272

bob272

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

Trademarks are for suckers.

okay, I thought this whole trademark thing was finally being settled. Then one of you goes on out and makes a $$%# movie out of this? What balls! Except, it should have been called Chivas girls....

LARS movie

#10 LA Geordie

LA Geordie

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Umm...football?
  • Supports:Newcastle, Galaxy, Real Madrid, USA

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

That was the worst trailer...well, thats the worst movie of all time, the trailer was alright.

#11 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

Oh Shut up LA Geordie. What the hell do you know?
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#12 PGH_Futbol

PGH_Futbol

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Riverhounds FC

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

okay, I thought this whole trademark thing was finally being settled. Then one of you goes on out and makes a $$%# movie out of this? What balls! Except, it should have been called Chivas girls....

LARS movie

I'm moved.

damn... out of paper...

can you bring me a new roll?

#13 Section 18 Hooligan

Section 18 Hooligan

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Just wanted to give everybody the old it's a new year kind of update to this whole mess.

As mentioned above, trademarking costs are about $2,000 to date (I don't believe that there will be any additional costs here). Tommy, Eddie and myself have and will continue to cover those costs, in the interest of preserving the LARS name, imaging and brand.

Legal fees for the cease and desist letter reached approx $990. Your generous contributions nearly met all of those costs (the difference $300 or so was picked up by Tommy, Eddie and me). Thank you to everybody for helping out!

As of the last time I checked (caveat, this was nearly a month ago) the other parties have yet to abandon their trademark application with the USPTO. This failure to abandon has caused the suspension of our application, pending the resolution to the other party's application. I hold out hope that this is merely an oversight on the part of the other parties and will be quickly resolved with nothing more than a phone call and/or an additional letter. Without the abandonment of the other party's application further legal expenses may mount and as the situation allows I will keep people in the loop.

As for the merch sold in the last year.

• The stickers, POTY buttons and contributions from a few individuals generated the seed money to come out with the blue and gold t-shirts. All individual contributions for start up costs have either been reimbursed or generously waived by the individuals.

• Tommy, provided the seed money to manufacture the scarves, he has been fully reimbursed.

• Remaining profit from all merchandise is at present in the safe at my house. All profits will continue to be put into LARS by way of more/new merchandise.

Stock on hand is limited to the following.

• Blue scarves, there are none left. They will not be made again.

• White scarves, some on hand maybe 40. They will not be made again.

• Blue and gold t-shirts, all adult sizes available men's and women's. They will continue to be made.

• Hoodies, limited number of Med and Large on hand. They will continue to be made however only on an as needed basis. Preorders only for these, the costs to have these made prohibits me from keeping them on hand. I am happy to take order on them and every few dozen or so I can go into production.

• Old logo t-shirts, limited sizes available in both black and grey (mostly grey). They will be remade for the coming season.

In the pipeline, a new t-shirt design, a new scarf design and embroidered hats (maybe beanies, maybe baseball style, maybe both).

The web shop via TOB is a not going to happen. I am working to get our own webshop up within a few months. The delay is due to the necessity to limit personal liability. For the mean time please feel free to email me with specific merchandise orders. s18h at lariotsquad dot org

Thanks again to everybody for their contributions, support and understanding through what has been a very trying year to say the least.

Can't wait for 08!

#14 GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy. Club America. Inter

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

... embroidered hats (maybe beanies, maybe baseball style, maybe both)...

is there any way we could possibly get sponsored by new era?...i know clothing companies have partnerships with them.

does any one have connections to do this?

#15 USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, Arsenal

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

is there any way we could possibly get sponsored by new era?...i know clothing companies have partnerships with them.

does any one have connections to do this?

shutup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users