10 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • Supports:Metro

this can never be emphasized enough.  If we got 15-20 goal contributions (G+A) from our best FWD a lot of the other issues would look like cracks.

Not to dead horse it, but you think the system lends to that sort of production?  I always feel like Struber plays defensively. A better individual talent than Klimala is needed definitely, sure, but also maybe other areas on the field look better because the tactics are designed to make them look better, at the expense of production at forward. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not to dead horse it, but you think the system lends to that sort of production?  I always feel like Struber plays defensively. A better individual talent than Klimala is needed definitely, sure, but also maybe other areas on the field look better because the tactics are designed to make them look better, at the expense of production at forward. 

Yes, the system creates a lot of transition opportunities. We need guys who can finish.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

In 2021, our strikers combined for 16 goals on an xG of roughly 26.

In 2022, 11 goals on an xG of roughly 17.

I don't think the xG dropoff is entirely tactical, though some of it is. Either way, the players we have in that striker role absolutely suck at finishing, so an upgrade to even an average goalscorer would pay serious dividends.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Struber's system is not too defensive for the current attacking player talent.  There is not enough attacking talent to play any other way and win games.  I don't believe this is by accident.  It is simply $/win in RB language.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

In 2022, 11 goals on an xG of roughly 17.

xG 17 in 34 games? Not offensive.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Half a goal a game is offensive to me, personally.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Based on the lack of attacking talent on this roster, he does not have much choice but to play defense first. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,953 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

giphy.gif

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,663 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

#Valid 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Just for strikers. At a quick glance, that seems about average for MLS teams playing with a lone striker.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

about average for MLS teams playing with a lone striker.

That does not make me feel any better.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users