Shouln't it have been: Sven? Golly!

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
Granted, you have to give the guy 4-5 games to settle in, but, there's nothing about his game that looked impressive today. He can improve his understanding with the other CB & a rookie goalie will take time to gel with his back line as well, but, there's no cure for a lack of athleticism & poor clearing skills. I'm not writing him off completely, but for better or worse, if Conde is healthy, I have a feeling by June 1 Keel will have supplanted Holgersson.

He's tall, picks his feet up & puts them down with the dexterity of a 12 minute old baby deer, and his distribution was suspect. Might be good in the air, but, if Keel is better on the ball, more athletic, and (inexplicably) more composed back there....do we really want to be starting this guy (when Conde comes back)?

First goal was completely his fault (though Tainio didn't help), he was caught out woefully at 32' by Perez when Dallas should have gone up 2-0; at about 52' Keel gets beaten, Markus is the last man back & miss-hits a clearing attempt to put Villar in alone on Meara (who thankfully stoned him).... and when Villar did score to put FCD up 2-0, Markus is marking space and doesn't move over to pick up the man or move up to stop Perez.

Just a shocker of a game from him. I thought I was watching Greg Sutton in a short-sleeved jersey.

I'm a bit afraid of what next week @ RSL is going to look like if their midfield is having a good night. We could be in for a hiding.

* and I think every poll on this board should have a "We're fucked" option.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
As of today, Keel. But obviously it's too soon to tell.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT
I didn't think he looked that bad, although I agree that, based on today, Keel might be the better option.

Not sure what he did wrong on the first goal - McCarty cleared it low and up the middle, exactly what you shouldn't do. Predictably, FCD intercepted and scored.

Disagree entirely with your analysis of the second goal. Holgersson can't step up since the pass to the right is wide open. All he can do is try to cover both the man with the ball and the open man on the right, at least until help arrives. When Tainio did get back, he (Tainio) should have covered the man on the right (who ended up scoring); this would have allowed Holgersson to step up on the ball. Not only did Tainio try to tackle the ball, he went to the ground to do so, insuring that he would not be able to recover when the pass inevitably came. I put that goal on Miller, for giving the ball away in the first place, and on Tainio.

Quema

Quema

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

Not sure what he did wrong on the first goal - McCarty cleared it low and up the middle, exactly what you shouldn't do. Predictably, FCD intercepted and scored.

You do realize McCarty's failed clearance was an attempt to clear Holgersson's failed clearance?

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Lets give this guy a lit tle bit tiim to adapt to the league.

5 year plan

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT
I do know that someone took a swing at it before it got to Dax and missed; I didn't know who that was but I take it that it was Holgersson. If so, sure he bears some responsibility there. But Dax still should have cleared it better.

CKMF

CKMF

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Supports:The current incarnation of Metro

* and I think every poll on this board should have a "We're fucked" option.

And I think every poll on this board should have the option of voting for more than one thing. :)

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
How can a guy that is getting a look at international play be that poor with the ball at his feet? Someone warned us during the off season that he was not a good passer but I was surprised at just how bad he was with the ball.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Not sure what he did wrong on the first goal

The miss on the first clearance caused the second. Blast that away cleanly, it's 0-0 going into the half.

Disagree entirely with your analysis of the second goal. Holgersson can't step up since the pass to the right is wide open. All he can do is try to cover both the man with the ball and the open man on the right, at least until help arrives.

Keel was the man closest to the play, Holgersson was central-right (from Meara's view). There is 1 FC Dallas attacker on that entire (right) half of the field, and he's 20 yards behind the ball and marked by Solli. They barely come into the screen at the end of the play. Leaving the back post run free on that play created little to no threat of leaving an exposed attacker unmarked back there. Had he rotated up and to his left- where the attack was coming from- Keel would have been able to slide back to his left to mark Pillar. Keel stepped up to Perez & ended up missing both guys, but, Keel is 1 on 2 at that point. Being 2 on 2, was my point. Holgersson didn't make that a 2 on 2 play, he was in the middle of the park, out of the play. Holgersson was nowhere helpful on that goal.

Not to mention, watch it again, when Keel steps up....Holgersson plays Villar onside. He would have been better off not moving at all than what he ended up doing, which was playing the goalscorer onside & not covering defensively. I think that goal was all about communication, later in the season likely he & Keel get that sorted, but I don't feel he gave sufficient help. I didn't (and still don't) lay ALL of the blame here on him, he just didn't really help us defend that play, which is why he's there. Yes, Miller turned the ball over, but he did so <10 yards from midfield, he's actually in the attacking half when he hits the (incredibly awful) ball back to Keel. Keel actually motions to Tainio to mark Villar at the last second, Tainio ignores him & proceeds to mistackle Perez. Not his finest moment either, surely.

After the interception, Dallas is 1 on 2 to start the play, later 2 on 3 when Tainio made it back and Villar advanced. Surely, no one in defense covered themselves in glory there, but, Holgersson's lack of being anywhere helpful on the play, and playing the goal scorer onside, after blowing the first goal and nearly conceding another...yeah. Not a good day at the office. We all have them, you file it away & move on, but, let's just say we all hope he improves next week.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Honestly all 4 of the back line looked awful yesterday. Holgersson couldn't pass forward to save his life. Miller was horribly slow and got burnt a numbre of times. Solli was constantly out of position.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
The dude's clearance went off his foot and hit his other foot. I didn't even think that was physically possible. Then he stood directly in front of Meara's line of vision as the ball rolled in between his legs (might not have actually been in between but it was very close).

I'd say he had a rough outing.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Pretty sure the goal actually took a deflection off his leg, but there was no way Meara was getting to it anyway since he had 4 bodies blocking his view.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

You do realize McCarty's failed clearance was an attempt to clear Holgersson's failed clearance?

It was, but I believe that McCarty's clearance was a much easier ball to handle.

Not only that, it was the guy's first game in a new country and league.

He has some good qualities imo... Mainly the comfort in the air with the ball and that is something we just didn't have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users