• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

---------BWP

royer--felipe---muyl

-----davis--adams

lawrence--collin--long---lade

----------robles

Sacha has been invisible the entire season. Let felipe start at the #10 and hope that will give sacha a wakeup call

Actually I would save this if we don't win against DC.

---------BWP

royer--Davis---muyl

-----Felipe--adams

lawrence--collin--long---lade

----------robles

Just switch Felipe and Davis. Royer starts Ettienne or Gulbrandsen subs on for him at 55 if he continues to do little. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
When BWP was signed, in his first half season, he played up top with Henry. Don't think BWP scored more than one or two, but it created room for Henry to work.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

When BWP was signed, in his first half season, he played up top with Henry. Don't think BWP scored more than one or two, but it created room for Henry to work.

They did play with two strikers for a lot of 2014 as well, Henry didn't officially move out to the left wing until about 2/3 through the season. But he's also Thierry Henry, he'd make most of us look pretty good playing next to him. Playing next to literally any other striker, BWP has looked off. He ends up dropping back instead of pushing the line and that's not what he's best at.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

This 3 game home stand is coming at a good time lets hope we can get our shit together here.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

This 3 game home stand is coming at a good time lets hope we can get our shit together here.

Exactly.. 

This is a time where you want to come away with at least 6 points.  But until we can actually score goals, it's hard to have much optimism.  

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

3 game home stand upcoming. All against Eastern teams. Time to get this season going. 

100% this.

We're better than dc, gotta come out and keep up the home field advantage.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I really want to bring a sign that says 4231

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I have no fucking clue why I'm feeling optimistic, but I'll go with a prediction of a 1-0 victory. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Robles Lade-Collin-Long-Lawrence Felipe Muyl-Kljestan-Davis/Adams-Royer BWP
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Exactly...

If history has proven anything, it's that Bradley works better on his own up there.

Anyway, we have to freaking score goals.  It hasn't been good enough.  Either people are blowing passes, or guys aren't finishing chances.  

Stay with the 4-2-3-1 because the team is just better in it.  Have said the same damn thing forever now and Marsch wasted the start of this year and the start of last year on the 4-2-2-2.  We start slow in that formation because it just sucks with this group of guys(or even perhaps this league) and then confidence becomes an issue where we have to build that up again.

And a problem is that I think Gulbrandsen is one of our more dangerous players, but I think he's a 9, just like BWP.  Not the best passer to make it work on the wings.  Jesse just messed up committing so much towards the 4-2-2-2.  

Anyway, I roll out the same group but hopefully with Lade back.

------------BWP---

Etienne--Sacha---Royer

------Adams--Felipe

Taxi Long Collin Lade

Etienne should be the first sub off the bench. His speed is his biggest (only?) asset and that will stand out even more against defenders who have already been on the pitch for an hour. Start Muyl or Gulbrandsen on the wing.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Etienne should be the first sub off the bench. His speed is his biggest (only?) asset and that will stand out even more against defenders who have already been on the pitch for an hour. Start Muyl or Gulbrandsen on the wing.

Etienne is fast, but he never really plays fast.  Annoying as hell.  He's also far too content with being too finesse.  There was a ball played to him where he should have beaten the keeper, but he didn't.  He was too accepting of the idea that he didnt' want a physical challenge or lay it all on the line on that particular play.  I think a more driven player would have drawn a foul there on the keeper.  He's gotta know chances are limited.  With the few you get, do everything possible to make it work.

Wouldn't mind Muyl playing over Etienne one bit...

Gulbrandsen actually has some real speed and seems willing to use it but I'm not sure he's a good enough passer to play outside.  I'm willing to try him there though.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Etienne is fast, but he never really plays fast.  Annoying as hell.  He's also far too content with being too finesse.  There was a ball played to him where he should have beaten the keeper, but he didn't.  He was too accepting of the idea that he didnt' want a physical challenge or lay it all on the line on that particular play.  I think a more driven player would have drawn a foul there on the keeper.  He's gotta know chances are limited.  With the few you get, do everything possible to make it work.

Wouldn't mind Muyl playing over Etienne one bit...

Gulbrandsen actually has some real speed and seems willing to use it but I'm not sure he's a good enough passer to play outside.  I'm willing to try him there though.

Yeah, I remember the play - he never reached for it. He gets a foot in and touches the ball and it's a penalty.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah, I remember the play - he never reached for it. He gets a foot in and touches the ball and it's a penalty.

I was screaming at the TV on the play.  Was the prototypical play that results in a penalty but he just avoided any potential contact.

I said the same thing regarding Etienne over all of last year whenever I watched him on RB2.  He doesn't show the overwhelming effort and grit needed.  He's so skilled, but he just doesn't have that piece.  He's gotten slightly better with it, but needs to improve significantly to become a good MLS player.  And he could be so good too because kids usually don't have his vision at this age.  Takes them longer to see the field usually. 

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Etienne stinks. Muyl stinks. Adams and Davis played one good game each and a pair of stinkers.

It probably wouldn't hurt to sit a couple of these guys, but who else is going to play in their place? Not like we're sitting on a bunch of veterans. It's kids replacing kids.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I was screaming at the TV on the play.  Was the prototypical play that results in a penalty but he just avoided any potential contact.

I said the same thing regarding Etienne over all of last year whenever I watched him on RB2.  He doesn't show the overwhelming effort and grit needed.  He's so skilled, but he just doesn't have that piece.  He's gotten slightly better with it, but needs to improve significantly to become a good MLS player.  And he could be so good too because kids usually don't have his vision at this age.  Takes them longer to see the field usually. 

Reminds me of Agudelo when he was Etienne's age. You get the sense that these kids are just so much more skilled on the ball than everyone else through the youth ranks that they excel without ever being pushed to improve the parts of their game that every pro needs. Then when it comes time to make the jump to MLS, they're learning a lot of the basics on the fly. 

Hopefully Etienne is a little more receptive to coaching than Agudelo was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users