juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

which is how soccer works.  

Congrats, your argument has made you a eurosnob. 

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

New England Patriots.  They have four championships in 55 years and we have two championships in 20 years.  Pretty close to the same ratio.

Keep telling yourself the Shield make us champs.  I guess that makes you feel better.

I guess it also makes you feel better to think the Rangers have won 3 championships since the 90s and even won one last season!

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
It's okay. Lots of people don't understand how soccer works, but I do. I'll be patient with you.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

It's okay. Lots of people don't understand how soccer works, but I do. I'll be patient with you.

Soccer DOES NOT work that way in America and you know this. Nothing here is like Europe. Shit turf fields, MLS draft, salary cap, playoffs, etc. Deal with it. There is an unbalanced schedule and the SS would be HIGHLY debated if it was the top trophy. Playoffs are a total crapshoot. Throughout the year we were the best team but when it mattered most we were crap. If we were really that good we could of pulled it all together for 5 games but we were pretenders with a one-trick-pony coach who admitted Crew adjusted and we did not, and admits there will be no change in philosophy going forward.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
You could say the Mets, because they have two championships too, but they've been around since 1962, so theirs are spread out a lot further than ours.

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I'm not saying that the Audi Cup isn't an important trophy, because obviously it is.  I'm just saying it's not more important the Supporters Shield, which is how soccer works. 

giphy.gif

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Like I've said elsewhere, I will accept the Audi Cup as the MLS Championship if they do the same thing as the NHL and expand each round to a seven game series.  Since the physical rigors of soccer generally limit teams to one game a week, all MLS has to do is have 28 weeks of playoffs and the Audi Cup winners will clearly be league champions.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

I'm not saying that the Audi Cup isn't an important trophy, because obviously it is.  I'm just saying it's not more important the Supporters Shield, which is how soccer works.  For example, when we made the MLS Cup Final in 2008, I was ecstatic, but that's because it was our only shot at a trophy that season.  After we won the Supporters Shield in 2013 and this past season, I didn't really care as much about the Audi Cup anymore.  I still went to the games, but it was just a fun extra thing to try and win.

Mls cup playoffs is a lottery. No way around it. This team was the best team, highest scoring team, with the coach and goal keeper of the year. If you can't win the cup with all that then there is no way to strategize to win it.

I'd rather be the best for a full season than get a few wins in post season for a cup. Just think about it. Nyrb shut the opponent out 3 times in 4 gamed and we are still golfing. Mls playoffs make no sense. Especially in a league where parity is the name of the game.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

An odd stat indeed.  Clean sheets in 3 of 4 playoff games, done in by a quick opener & a tap-in.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Like I've said elsewhere, I will accept the Audi Cup as the MLS Championship if they do the same thing as the NHL and expand each round to a seven game series.  Since the physical rigors of soccer generally limit teams to one game a week, all MLS has to do is have 28 weeks of playoffs and the Audi Cup winners will clearly be league champions.

The troll level is strong with this one.  Not quite Onionsack or Harraby level, but I like it.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Anybody want to change their opinion after watching that pathetic MLS Cup Final?

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Anybody want to change their opinion after watching that pathetic MLS Cup Final?

Nope - because a weak final doesn't somehow alter reality. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Congrats to Portland, the best team in MLS and the champs. Stupid neckbeards. I'd trade the last 2 shields just for a finals appearance probably.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Nope - because a weak final doesn't somehow alter reality. 

You guys are hilarious.  I would guess that a lot of you are new to the sport, but I know you've been posting on here for a while, so it's actually a mystery who you just don't get it.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

I have been posting a while.  I do get it.  Why I remember when we were close to winning our first ever 'Championship' a few years back and NEEDED, I mean NEEDED a result in Seattle to have a chance to win it when our healthy star player was asked and replied  "I'm playing.  You happy?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users