109 replies to this topic

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Miami FC dude is releasing the study results on pro\rel that he funded the research on... big surprise what the findings are... 

These guys just don't make sense, the best NASL teams, the ones with stadiums and proper support, all want to be in MLS and are actively working towards that goal.

All the NASL teams who want pro\rel are the ones with shitty stadium situations and floundering support. 

Wonder what the correlation is there?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

I want to be in the meetings where they try and tell teams that paid 300 million to enter the league they are going to introduce pro/rel so they might be regulated to a second division. Aint ever going to happen. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
The problem with Pro-Rel in the US and Canada is simple: the fact that it doesn't exist is wrong and a mistake, but it's a mistake that is literally unfixable because of what the post above me says. All the bleating in the world can't change that.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

The problem with Pro-Rel in the US and Canada is simple: the fact that it doesn't exist is wrong and a mistake, but it's a mistake that is literally unfixable because of what the post above me says. All the bleating in the world can't change that.

You'd have to pay out billions to the current owners - not just for the franchise fees, but for the years of operating at a loss just to keep the league alive. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Fanship does not exist for Pro/Rel. Every MLS team has a group of hard core fans who will go regardless, but casuals would drop out if their team was relegated. Money would dry up, funding wouldn't be there and some teams would never recover.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

The only way I could ever see a form of pro\rel happening is if we formed a super league with Mexico, where top teams gain promotion there. That pipe dream would have to be like 30 years out. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Fanship does not exist for Pro/Rel. Every MLS team has a group of hard core fans who will go regardless, but casuals would drop out if their team was relegated. Money would dry up, funding wouldn't be there and some teams would never recover.

not to mention in other countries, the 2nd and 3rd division teams have for the most part been around for decades, some for more than 100 years!

Also there is a TV audience for the Football League in England, not as big as the Premiership, but still significant. 

I've seen a few NASL games on one of the highest tier sports package pay stations, it's not a part of the sports consciousness at all, whereas in pro/rel countries the lower divisions are at least on the level of awareness.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

not to mention in other countries, the 2nd and 3rd division teams have for the most part been around for decades, some for more than 100 years!

Also there is a TV audience for the Football League in England, not as big as the Premiership, but still significant. 

I've seen a few NASL games on one of the highest tier sports package pay stations, it's not a part of the sports consciousness at all, whereas in pro/rel countries the lower divisions are at least on the level of awareness.

Point is a fair one but very few countries have lower divisions that people really care about. England is the exception not the rule. Even in Mexico very few people care about the lower division.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

Money and lots of it paid to the original MLS team owners is the only way PRO/REL will ever come about in the US. 

I don't get how the crazy crowd doesn't get that.

If I owned a team, I would want my investment reimbursed and then some, would want a share of MLS league spoils (even if I get relegated)  and advantages over other teams to get re-promoted.  Otherwise - why would I even care if Tulsa can't join MLS or not.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

People seem to forget to that MLS is just a private group of owner-investors. They don't owe anyone shit. They invested (lost) a ton of money on a passion project to kick start MLS. They don't owe NASL teams or fans jack shit. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

People seem to forget to that MLS is just a private group of owner-investors. They don't owe anyone shit. They invested (lost) a ton of money on a passion project to kick start MLS. They don't owe NASL teams or fans jack shit. 

The problem I have with that argument is that almost all of those original owners from the bad old days are long gone. Other than AEG in LA and I think the Hunts in Dallas who else is left?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

The problem I have with that argument is that almost all of those original owners from the bad old days are long gone. Other than AEG in LA and I think the Hunts in Dallas who else is left?

Problem is that it's hard to really have certainty on the financials of all the individual teams. Garber says we're still losing money as of last year - who knows what the operational budget of RBNY is, what our revenue is relative to our investments in RBA and the training facilities, RBNYII, etc etc. 

You think Red Bull is making a profit from the team? I don't. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Point is a fair one but very few countries have lower divisions that people really care about. England is the exception not the rule. Even in Mexico very few people care about the lower division.

That sort if is the point. If you exclude England and maybe Germany, people don't care about lower divisions, lower divisions teams are run on tiny budgets, and crowds are puny even in countries where soccer is the main or even the only sport. If that's the case there, imagine what playing in or getting relegated to the second division would be like here where soccer is trying (and failing?) to be the no. 4 sport. Pro/rel sounds nice and fair in theory, but there's no way it's a good thing for US soccer in practice.

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

Kraft in NE.

I've been hearing/reading a lot of debate and discussion about pro/rel lately, and what I can't seem to understand is why people don't get the fact that the owners in MLS have spent millions in franchise fees alone, and would never, ever go for pro/rel based on the money they would lose on top of what they already have. Yet people think it's as easy as Garber making one of his crazy on the fly rule changes and we're automatically on par with the rest of the soccer world. I just don't get it.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Problem is that it's hard to really have certainty on the financials of all the individual teams. Garber says we're still losing money as of last year - who knows what the operational budget of RBNY is, what our revenue is relative to our investments in RBA and the training facilities, RBNYII, etc etc. 

You think Red Bull is making a profit from the team? I don't. 

But remember it's Garber's job to cry poverty so the fucked up treatment of the players by the owners can continue.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users