Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Chicago won the Stanley Cup, big ups to Shooter

But for me this season starts w/ the impending retirement of Captain Duck Scott Niedermayer. The times have been good...
Posted Image

...yay...losing ANOTHER hall of fame blue liner in 2 seasons...that'll improve our horrendous, comical defending
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#2 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

He looks like a combination of Ted Kaczynski and an AIDS patient.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#3 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

And a priest.

Hmmmm

All the same person?

Where's my beer?

#4 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Fuck the Sedin twins...
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#5 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

welcome to free agency

Sean O'Donnell to Philadelphia - apparently on a 1 year deal

#6 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

I still can't get over Dallas under orders from Joe Nieuwendyk of all people, dumping Mikey Mo.

Guys like that who stick with one club for all or most of their and have their heart in it for the team and the city - like Yzerman, Robitaille, Bourque, Neely - should not be dumped like that.

Yeah, it's a business. But that (business) is also potentially another reason to not treat guys like that, like THAT. Robitaille's a great example of how to integrate a non-business guy into the business.

#7 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hockey is one of hte last sports that really honors their ol' timers, that's some shady shit right there.

We dont' really have a place for him but I'd LOVE if we signed Mike Modano.
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#8 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

what's going on with Bobby Ryan?

As negotiations with Ryan have continued through the offseason, GM Bob Murray has taken the unusual step of being candid with the financial specifics for the young winger's offers. From Ducks Blog, on June 24:

He acknowledged the lack of progress but revealed that "we made him a pretty good five-year offer between $20-25 million."

"I'm not going to tell you where, but between there," Murray said. "That is not chump change. I would think that Don Meehan, his agent, and [Ducks assistant GM] David McNab will have a discussion. We're all in the same place here."

Today, as Murray updated the media on the Free-Agent Frenzy, he added some specifics to the offer:

"We increased our offer yesterday on Bobby Ryan, went to five years at $5 million a year."

OC Register blogger Eric Stephens reported that Ryan has turned down that offer and another 4-year deal.

This sort of public negotiation is (a) an indication of utter frustration for Murray and (b) an upping of the ante in the PR battle, as the Ducks clearly convey what they're offering to Ryan and Ryan's camp has to explain why his cap hit should come close (or surpass) those of Ryan Getzlaf(notes) and Corey Perry(notes) (both at $5.325 million).

#9 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

what's going on with Bobby Ryan?

He's a self-centered, greedy little cunt... 'cept for when he plays for USA.

Of course, he's also welcome to com play up the road.

I'm not sold on Kovalchuk. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent. But he strikes as one of those guys who will end up on those 'greatest players to never win the cup' lists.

#10 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'm not sold on Kovalchuk. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent. But he strikes as one of those guys who will end up on those 'greatest players to never win the cup' lists.

The "Kovalchuk to LA is a done deal" sounds an awful lot like "Gaborik to LA is a done deal" last year...

#11 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

He's a self-centered, greedy little cunt... 'cept for when he plays for USA.

Sad.

I can feel the kids position. It's something like what happened w/ Stuart Holden; Houston was primed to pay the kid beans until the end of his contract (aka as long as human possible) and then offered him a big time contract and hope he stays. From Holdens perspective (and Ryans) it seems like you're getting jerked around by the club you're playing exceptionally well for and that they don't appreciate you until they have to or you'll bounce. Ducks fans have been calling BS on how long it's taken to offer this kid a contract for a LONG time.

I hope he stays...I really like this kid, but giving him the #9 cursed this whole situation.

#12 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Ilya-watch. Is today the day? Despite my earlier thoughts on him, I'd still to see the guy skating in LA. Just not for $10M/yr. Ovechkin ain't pulling that down.

This kinda sums it up.

The Los Angeles Kings have been doing the Hockey Hokey Pokey with Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) for the last 12 days; putting their contract it, putting their contract out, putting their contract in ... and then leaking their displeasure to the LA Times.

What they've also been doing is taking a measured, patient approach with an all-world free agent who (a) has standards as high as his options are limited and (b) who clearly prefers Los Angeles to other options (*cough*NEWARK*cough*) and © who is a near-perfect fit for their lineup needs.

#13 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

The whole thing has been pretty ridiculous.

I guess Kovalchuk came out to LA today for a face-to-face visit; Dustin Brown and Matt Greene are showing he and his wife around town. (editor's note: apparently Kovalchuk's wife is a singer = paging ms. robitaille.....)

Quote from Lombardi yesterday:

“Kovalchuk is only coming here for a visit,” Lombardi said. “It is a great opportunity for him to meet us and us to meet him. Reports of us announcing a signing tomorrow are utterly false.”

Sounds like the $100m over 15/17 years that were rumored from LA and NJ were totally over-stated. But you never know. I've read about 16 different stories over the past 7 days.

Doesn't sound like it'll be finalized today, but the fact that he came out to LA to visit might be signs for optimism. Don't think KHL is really an option. Probably still between LA and NJ

#14 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

Excellent!

Kovalchuk signs with Miami Heat

#15 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

More.

From Nick Kypreos' twitter:

A big swing in the Ilya/Kings talks. Major stumbling blocks have been rectified. A source now described it to me as "close but not done"

Let's get this shit done so we can move on.

More interesting than this perhaps is what shakes out elsewhere as a result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users