Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hes saying thats what they lack to get to the next level

IMO what they lacked was:

1. Identity. Which is a problem across the board. Klinsmann totally fucked up the entire program and now were in a no mans land in terms of who we are and how we want to play.
2. A competent coach.
3. A federation that can correctly prioritize the players available to said coach in order to achieve qualification.
4. Players that show up to play and dont sit around reading their own press clippings.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

IMO what they lacked was:

1. Identity. Which is a problem across the board. Klinsmann totally fucked up the entire program and now were in a no mans land in terms of who we are and how we want to play.
2. A competent coach.
3. A federation that can correctly prioritize the players available to said coach in order to achieve qualification.
4. Players that show up to play and dont sit around reading their own press clippings.

Agree. US looked like they had fewer players and the ones they did have we slow thinking and slow running. I put that straight on the tactics of the coach - guys either got nothing or got something too complex to understand an implement in a couple weeks. 

I really thought that Yuell blast was going to turn the tide. I mean Uly Llanez not getting injured would have helped, but I agree Clark and Duncan should have been there. The team that was fielded looked like losers who thought they could hang on. 

Maybe it was the side effect of having a first choice U-23 team play 4 hours earlier with players in your position who are younger and play for Barca, Chelsea... 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Hes saying thats what they lack to get to the next level

No, read it again. He's saying the American player's "team first" attitude is a benefit. He's not saying they need to be more selfish to get to the next level. 

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Your predictable rants about "lack of heart" were annoying even before they included a nationalist angle. Get a grip, dude. The team sucked and played uninspired. Plain and simple. Spare us the garbage about them not being patriots. 

How as a player who has the honor to play for your country not be inspired to go balls out and win and send the team to the Olympics? These are the players we dont need on our team plain and simple. If you dont love the United States you shouldnt play for the national team. Look at the Italian, Mexican, Greek, Japanese, Spanish, Argentine, Ghanaian national teams, the players are litterally about to cry when their anthem is played pre match. Why dont we have that energy. Id rather have 11 guys on the field with half the skill on our team like in the 90's or mid 2000's but had the greatest love for this country. They might have not won big tournaments but they would never embarass themselves by losing to Honduras.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
This is not the first time that we have lost to HON.
AFAIK, we are now 3-6-1 in Olympic Qualifying.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
The next coach should be a guy with experience working in this age group, who can handle constantly changing rosters, and has a history of simultaneously developing players and winning games...all the while operating within a defined system handed down to him from the higher ups...

Hmmm...where could they POSSIBLY find this club legend...

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Yes, if he's good enough his age doesn't matter.  No argument there.

But is he good enough?  Two nice goals and a few decent passes, and not much else, in 7 total MLS appearances isn't a whole lot to go on.

And I'm not down on Clark.  I'm really looking forward to seeing him play this year.  But to me he's still all potential, and not every kid with potential makes it.

Maybe Kreis should have brought Clark into camp for a look.  But he was probably counting on Llanez to be the 10, and then Llanez got hurt.  In hindsight, the team didn't really click offensively, though.

You cant be serious and say that Johnathan Lewis or benji mitchell are better players than clark.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The next coach should be a guy with experience working in this age group, who can handle constantly changing rosters, and has a history of simultaneously developing players and winning games...all the while operating within a defined system handed down to him from the higher ups...

Hmmm...where could they POSSIBLY find this club legend...

Woly should be the coach

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

You cant be serious and say that Johnathan Lewis or benji mitchell are better players than clark.

Lewis and Michel are wide players and Clark's future seems to be more central, so this isn't the best comparison.  If Clark was going to be on the team, it probably wouldn't be for Lewis or Michel.  Clark would have taken the spot of Saucedo, Tessman, or Dotson.  But I'd say that I don't know whether Clark is better than Lewis or Michel since we've seen so little of Clark.  I hope he is, but I don't see how you can say for sure based on Clark's limited resume.

Heard someone on the radio today (Twellman maybe) talking about the Olympic team roster and how it had all defensive midfielders and no pure attacking midfielders.  The name that came up as someone who probably should have been on the team wasn't Clark, it was Cole Bassett of Colorado.

I love your enthusiasm for the kid, but I think it's a little over the top, at least at this point.  He's young.  He may not even be done growing.  He's been a pro for year and his stats aren't mind blowing, they are decent.  In 2020, Clark had 5 goals total between USL and MLS, in 19 appearances.  Lewis had 5 goals in 18 appearances, all in MLS.  Michel had 5 goals in 21 appearances, again all in MLS.  Cole Bassett had 5 goals in 14 appearances, all in MLS.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Condoms? Yes. Sex? No!
https://nypost.com/2...-olympic-games/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users