157 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

You didn't include Dantouma Toure, who is just 16, contributing at the USL level, and is probably the best attacking prospect our academy has ever produced. I'm not sure how many academy products you're expecting to make the first team. 

How many has RBNY produced since Tyler Adams?

Thankfully theres a crop coming through now that at least has the potential to factor in with the first team at a high level and/or be sold on for $$.

RBNY pushes the importance of RB2 to their overall setup, I personally dont care if players come from there or from outside the club as long as they are talented enough to make a difference in MLS.

Frankly outside of Valot, the successful Aaron Long reclamation project, and maybe Brian White the college draft pick to RB2 to RBNY pipeline has not been a success, and it shouldnt be relied on to find key contributors to the extent it has been by RBNY recently.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Frankly outside of Valot, the successful Aaron Long reclamation project, and maybe Brian White the college draft pick to RB2 to RBNY pipeline has not been a success, and it shouldnt be relied on to find key contributors to the extent it has been by RBNY recently.

The last part is 100% true, no team can build entirely from within especially if you're talking about the very top end of the roster. But imo you're underselling the success of the academy and RB2 a bit, I think it's done its part.

I'd also call out Miazga who helped win a SS and was sold for $5M, Davis who has been a consistent starter, Duncan who is a great RB, even a guy like Lade who was a reliable backup for years.

If the you're getting one or two role players per year from the academy, with a stud that can be sold every few years, that's about all you can ask for. We've had that with the exception of the last year or two, but like you said there's some hope for the next generation coming up now.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,139 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

shame that Hamlett et al chose to go to the RB2 well a little more often than we had liked. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
  • Supports:Metro

How many has RBNY produced since Tyler Adams?

Thankfully theres a crop coming through now that at least has the potential to factor in with the first team at a high level and/or be sold on for $$.

RBNY pushes the importance of RB2 to their overall setup, I personally dont care if players come from there or from outside the club as long as they are talented enough to make a difference in MLS.

No doubt the academy output in the last couple of years has been pure trash. But it seems objectively wrong that the USL team for the 2020 season lacks academy talent. Clark and Toure alone are two of the most exciting prospects we've ever had.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

No doubt the academy output in the last couple of years has been pure trash. But it seems objectively wrong that the USL team for the 2020 season lacks academy talent. Clark and Toure alone are two of the most exciting prospects we've ever had.

Seems to be upswing especially with new director

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,121 posts

Our best prospects (Toure, Clark, Hot) have been "stolen" from other academies.

Someone out there should write a story on how the blue poseurs have been beating RB to the best local prospects. If only this team had any journalists covering it...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Our best prospects (Toure, Clark, Hot) have been "stolen" from other academies.

Someone out there should write a story on how the blue poseurs have been beating RB to the best local prospects. If only this team had any journalists covering it...

Hamlett getting rid of Jeff Zaun did not sit well with anyone internally. Coaches and parents left to PDA/Cedar Stars and nobody was going after the kids going to NYCFC. Add that to not having a good academy director for a long time (until just recently), that is why our academy isn't what it was just a couple years ago. Sad when you can show the pipeline of Adams, Miazga, Lade, Agudelo, Davis, Muyl, Etienne Jr., etc... and add in the dozens of academy kids that end up in our USL system (and a few elsewhere) and parents are still going elsewhere.

All that said, McCafferty is the real deal and in a few years, I think we start seeing some stars come through. We also have quite a few kids in college that should be getting HGP/NYRBII deals next year, and Clark, LaCava, Toure, Hot, Cummins, Edelman, etc... are being groomed earlier than many prior to them.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,121 posts

Coaches and parents left to PDA/Cedar Stars and nobody was going after the kids going to NYCFC.

But why? RBNY clearly showed a path for success. Zaun wasn't even the top guy.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users