Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Illuminating as usual, MF.

The Backe thing. Wheels within wheels.

Meola was great that game, but what a bizarre time that was. I think the news about Firmani's sacking and Ralph Perez taking over on an interim basis came over the stadium monitors.

With Quieroz in charge, we played a better game against Sporting Lisbon a few weeks later - got a draw against them. Wee little Jose Dominguez, who would later suck for Tottenham, scored against us and then got sent off after chopping down Tab Ramos (who was just back from Mexico). The Portuguese fans spent most of the rest of the game jeering at the ref. If was kind of a shitshow, but at least we felt like we weren't quite so doomed.

Favorite friendly: Galatasaray, 1997. We weren't that bad but lost by a couple goals. Hagi was amazing, and the Turkish supporters were nuts.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Awesome, awesome stuff.  Thank you!!!

My favorite friendly memory was Harry Rednapp postgame press conference.  He went on about how 'brilliant' our supporters were for chanting the Carlo Cuducinni was a "Chelsea Reject!" over and over.

That and watching Ronaldhino in his prime make Marvell Wynne fall over 10 times.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Didn't go to that one, but beating Sampdoria 1:0 in 1997 on a Pitufo goal was a milestone. Our first victory against European opposition. Also, Roberto Mancini's last game for Sampdoria. Wonder whatever happened to him...

Beating Bayern in 2001 (Comas, Mathis) as they were coming off the Champions League win was nice.

But, meh.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Beating Bayern in 2001 (Comas, Mathis) as they were coming off the Champions League win was nice.

My favorite friendly. Was lucky to attend this game. Crazy to think it was literally the weekend after the won the Champions League. 

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

I was at both Bayern games.. In 2001 and 2006..

Was at the Sampdoria game, as well.  

Went to a lot of the friendlies back then.  Went to one when they played in Elizabeth. Boavista, from Portugal, I think..

Saw us play Boca Juniors, too..  

My dad used to like to go to see the Metros play in these friendlies, didn't matter if we lost or won, but to go and represent.. Now?  I don't give 2 fucks.. 

I've actually been to a lot of Metro friendlies over the years.. Can't even remember all of them.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6458

Enjoy.

fantastic.  I was at that fiorentina game...missed the epic Sampdoria win though.  tickets for the corner sections  were $9 dollars back then for MLS matches.  That removable grass tray system was too ahead of its time back then.

what year was Galataseray ? George Hagi played in that game and scored on a nice goal.  was it the year after?

5 year plan

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

fantastic.  I was at that fiorentina game...missed the epic Sampdoria win though.  tickets for the corner sections  were $9 dollars back then for MLS matches.  That removable grass tray system was too ahead of its time back then.

what year was Galataseray ? George Hagi played in that game and scored on a nice goal.  was it the year after?

Yes. 1997.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

First year of RBA had some good friendlies. 

Loved the games against Jucentus where we won 3-1 and when we beat Man City with that wonder strike from Dane Richards. 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Sampdoria was probably the most I enjoyed one of these dumb friendlies. They didn't play soft, and seeing Mancini was a treat. We were genuinely proud of our players for winning -- Samp really threw everything at getting a goal late.

Incidentally, I think the Sampdoria friendly was Guido's final appearance for us - got subbed out early. He burned brightly, like a shooting star, then vanished forever from our lives.

Also had Alianza Lima that year. Serg was all excited about that one, but I skipped it.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU
I was at most of these but don't remember fuck all. How do you guys remember this shit? I hardly remember mover what I had for breakfast.

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Best Metro friendly ever - has to be the Santos game in the RBA opener right? 

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Didn't go to that one, but beating Sampdoria 1:0 in 1997 on a Pitufo goal was a milestone. Our first victory against European opposition. Also, Roberto Mancini's last game for Sampdoria. Wonder whatever happened to him...

But, meh.

I remember being at the sampdoria game but I was only 8 so I dont recall too much of the action.  However, I totally forgot about the bayern game in 2001.  I remember being so happy after that game.   But I was only 12 and naive in thinking that winning friendlies actually meant something haha.  

Didn't we play AC milan as part of a doubleheader at Giants Stadium once or am I going crazy?  

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Didn't we play AC milan as part of a doubleheader at Giants Stadium once or am I going crazy?  

IIRC it was in 02, double header with USMNT in the lead up to the 02 world cup. USA beat Jamaica 5-0 and I think Metro tied with AC Milan.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i don't remember many of the friendlies that i attended. was too baked to care. or hammered. or both.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users