• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

GUYMAN

GUYMAN

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I have been a soccer fan in this area for many years. Was a member of ESC back in the day, so I understand having passion for your team. At the same time I always enjoyed interacting with all supporters (assuming they weren't acting like pricks), and I still do. I'm old enough to have watched the Cosmos live in the 70's, my wife & I get a retro kick out of the team. I work in Newark and have been to Bello's many times. I went in yesterday to meet a buddy (also ex-ESC) before the game. Was wearing a Cosmos t-shirt under a button down shirt (no, it didn't cross my mind to button it up...). I was confronted by a RB supporter (big guy with a beard) who informed(in a confrontational way) that I had to get out. he told me he was born in the 70's. My message to him: If you are around age 40 and really care that much about what shirt someone else is wearing you might want to step back and contemplate life a little. But the more ridiculous behavior was displayed by the owner or manager of Bellos, a supposed businessman, who greeted a well behaved, sober customer (me) with the words "Get the F**ck Out". Perhaps he could have tried something along these lines: "Sorry, this is a big Red Bull bar and we try to avoid trouble on game days. I'd appreciate it if you 'd go somewhere else - come back tomorrow, I'll buy ya a beer". Anyway, it was an entertaining match - congrats on the win. 

jj____

jj____

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, FFC

ok

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I have been a soccer fan in this area for many years. Was a member of ESC back in the day, so I understand having passion for your team. At the same time I always enjoyed interacting with all supporters (assuming they weren't acting like pricks), and I still do. I'm old enough to have watched the Cosmos live in the 70's, my wife & I get a retro kick out of the team. I work in Newark and have been to Bello's many times. I went in yesterday to meet a buddy (also ex-ESC) before the game. Was wearing a Cosmos t-shirt under a button down shirt (no, it didn't cross my mind to button it up...). I was confronted by a RB supporter (big guy with a beard) who informed(in a confrontational way) that I had to get out. he told me he was born in the 70's. My message to him: If you are around age 40 and really care that much about what shirt someone else is wearing you might want to step back and contemplate life a little. But the more ridiculous behavior was displayed by the owner or manager of Bellos, a supposed businessman, who greeted a well behaved, sober customer (me) with the words "Get the F**ck Out". Perhaps he could have tried something along these lines: "Sorry, this is a big Red Bull bar and we try to avoid trouble on game days. I'd appreciate it if you 'd go somewhere else - come back tomorrow, I'll buy ya a beer". Anyway, it was an entertaining match - congrats on the win. 

What I got from your post is that you're an ex-ESC walking into a non-ESC bar wearing a rival's shirt.  MMMBello's is the GSU hang out, and their members rarely visit this site, so you're preaching to the wrong choir.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I was there.  This involved GSU, in their clubhouse bar.   The manager was not involved.

No offense to the man, but he was warned about going inside.

As the song goes, "he blew into the party, like his name was el nino."

Much ado about nothing.  Enjoy your beer elsewhere.

P.S.  Glad to see this moved to MPF.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund

crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-cryi

My message to you: if you are around or over the age of 40 with years of experience as an ESC member and a supposed understanding of the supporters' culture, you might want to step back and contemplate your decision-making process before entering a place like Bellos before a rival cup match sporting the shirt of said rival.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Call me crazy, but I think its possible not to be a dick to someone because they are wearing a different color shirt. Haven't we had opposing fans at el pastor a bunch of times with no problems? We all know how rational and accommodating GSS can be, after all.

tmoney2628

tmoney2628

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Juventus

GSU shouldn't be dicks to people wearing the opposing shirt.... but it would have been better for the OP to know not to go in there and avoid the trouble. Of the three supporter groups, they are the least friendly.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Their bar, their rules. Get the fuck over it.

Away supporters who would come to El Pastor usually had contacted someone in the ESC, right? Someone crashing our bar shouldn't expect to get a very warm welcome.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Bellos is pretty sensitive to that stuff. As I recall, they've had bouncers there before ahead of big games. Not checking, IDs, just making sure opposing fans weren't trying to get in.

It's hardly surprising they tried to pull the tough guy thing -- I literally got told "No, this is the GSU section" on Sunday when my friends and I were trying to find a seat, despite our sections being GA -- but like others have said, it's a local rival and it's their bar.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Call me crazy, but I think its possible not to be a dick to someone because they are wearing a different color shirt. Haven't we had opposing fans at el pastor a bunch of times with no problems? We all know how rational and accommodating GSS can be, after all.

The OP wasn't kicked out y GSS for wearing Cosmos T-Shirt. It was the stethoscope around his neck and the hard copy of the Restatement of Torts he was carrying.  #nodoctors #nolawyers

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

They didn't have to be "jerky" about it, but let's be real - what's the point of going in there anyway if you're the OP.  In Europe or South America he wouldn't have even gotten near the door and if he had the greeting he received at Bello's would have seemed kind and warmed in comparison.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

They didn't have to be "jerky" about it, but let's be real - what's the point of going in there anyway if you're the OP.  In Europe or South America he wouldn't have even gotten near the door and if he had the greeting he received at Bello's would have seemed kind and warmed in comparison.

In Europe red bull would have no supporters so a moot point.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Very true. GSU is the very epitome of rational adults. I'm very surprised that this had gone down the way it did... 

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Still waiting to hear about his reception at Catas and Boi na Brasa.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

GUYMAN

GUYMAN

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Their bar, their rules. Get the fuck over it.

Away supporters who would come to El Pastor usually had contacted someone in the ESC, right? Someone crashing our bar shouldn't expect to get a very warm welcome.

"Their bar?"  If they want a private "clubhouse" they should purchase one. Bellos is a public establishment - and I have confirmed with management that there is no "policy" of keeping anyone out (that was the b.s. line I was fed). Its not like I crashed a Supporters tailgate and took some food, or tried to sit in their section at the arena. If they had said they have the 2nd floor or the outside tables I would have even been cool with that. I know its not the end of the world, but I work nearby in Newark and happen to like Bellos - I don't want it to be known as (or become) an unfriendly place for anybody........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users