93 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Just some added context for tomorrows expansion draft.

Draft involves 18 teams, FCC can only select 5 players, 1 max from each team.

If we do lose a player, we get $50k GAM from MLS.

Players on our reserve/supplemental roster would need to be placed on the 20 man senior roster for FCC.
Our reserve/supplemental roster is:
Etienne Jr, Ndam, White, Louro, Mines, Bezecourt, Muyl and Valot.
Some of these are no brainers to add to the 20 man senior roster, others might help make protecting players easier, also HGPs are automatically protected.

Must protect players with no-trade clauses.
HGPs/Gen Adidas automatically protected.
DPs not forced to protect.
Need to protect at least 3 INTL players.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I've seen a couple people elsewhere suggest leaving BWP and Kaku unprotected because they don't think FCC wants to spend money on a DP.

If we lose either one of those on this mickey mouse league mechanism, I will lose it.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I've seen a couple people elsewhere suggest leaving BWP and Kaku unprotected because they don't think FCC wants to spend money on a DP.

If we lose either one of those on this mickey mouse league mechanism, I will lose it.

Their salaries aren't that high, though.

Leaving Kaku unprotected is madness, essentially setting 6M on fire. It's not happening.

I could see maybe leaving BWP unprotected, but not without having good intel on what Cincy might want. He's a depreciating asset and would have a much lower value for any other franchises in the league than for us, but losing him would obviously still be terrible for us.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I thought DP's don't need to be protected

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

As would I, but doubt this happens. FCC reserves the right to negotiate after drafting a player. Also, nothing to prevent taking the player and trading them away right away for a boatload of GAM/TAM for a team willing to pay DP salaries.

Still dont understand the need for the Expansion Draft. Give the Expansion teams $500k of additional GAM and let them trade it if they want MLS players.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

As would I, but doubt this happens. FCC reserves the right to negotiate after drafting a player. Also, nothing to prevent taking the player and trading them away right away for a boatload of GAM/TAM for a team willing to pay DP salaries.

Still dont understand the need for the Expansion Draft. Give the Expansion teams $500k of additional GAM and let them trade it if they want MLS players.

To be fair, the league is trending in the right direction. Reimbursing teams that lose someone, even though 50k is a pittance, and limiting it to five players. Progressively gotten a little better with each draft so I'm not too upset about the way they're doing it (until we lose someone of course). 

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Whoever believes doing this is a good move is crazy.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

BWP has been one of the most consistent goal scorers in league history and is coming off a 20 goal season. Most teams would kill to get a striker like him. We would be extremely stupid not to protect him.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Protect anyone with decent trade value. If you lose someone in the draft you only get a few Garber bucks.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah there's always some gamesmanship around this draft but and the end of the day you protect your best players barring truly unique circumstances.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

We have been very fortunate in the past, but we are just recognized for our young, inexpensive depth at this point, and would seem more vulnerable than ever, especial;y with 5 teams being out of risk following the LAFC draft.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

FC Cincinnati will be allowed to select up to five players during the expansion draft. Cincinnati cannot take more than one player from any given club. The five teams who had players selected by LAFC in last year’s expansion draft will be exempt from this year’s draft. Those teams are the Seattle Sounders FC, Sporting Kansas City, the San Jose Earthquakes, the Columbus Crew and Toronto FC.

MLS teams can protect 11 players between their Senior, Supplemental and Reserve Rosters ahead of the draft. Designated Players are not automatically protected.

Robles

Taxi, Long, Parker, Murillo

Davis, Kaku, Royer

BWP

Which two do you protect in addition to the 9 automatic guys above? OnceAMetro had a write-up protecting Meara and Ndam ahead of Casseres, but that seems a bit risky. Also leaves Valot unprotected (OAM assumed him or Beze won't be picked off because of their injuries).

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Robles

Davis, Kaku, Royer

BWP

Which two do you protect in addition to the 9 automatic guys above? OnceAMetro had a write-up protecting Meara and Ndam ahead of Casseres, but that seems a bit risky. Also leaves Valot unprotected (OAM assumed him or Beze won't be picked off because of their injuries).

Beze & Valot are both Internationals and coming off injuries , doubt very much that Cinn. would take either of them

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Robles

Davis, Kaku, Royer

BWP

I would think guys coming off of injury would be relatively safe, which would hopefully clear Valot, Beze and Duncan.   

Casseres, while unproven, would have to be attractive given his salary and needs to be protected.    Did he have a significant xfer fee that would contribute to his cap hit?

Excluding home-growns, that leaves who with real first team experience?  Muyl and Meara?      That's a coin toss for me.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Muyl will be protected.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users