• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#16 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Anyone else interested in seeing Gulati gone?

Posted Image

Me, too...and include Bradley...despite reaching the semis of the Confederations Cup!! However, I think we're "stuck" with both until, at least, next June after the WC <_<

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#17 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

While this is a good point, in that he hasn't been able to wrest control of the upper levels of the game from its amateur base, that could be due to the nature of the base itself. Gulati and the BOD itself, are elected by the membership of of the Fed, which includes representatives of the youth ODP/"development"/Pay-to-Play machine (which prevents meaningful youth development reform) and the amateur state associations with their own local agendas, which have helped to prevent the development of a meaningful lower-level club pyramid. The professional division really only accounts for a third of the power within US Soccer.

Why would the other two-thirds care about the Nats that much? Why would they elect someone like Beckenbauer or Cruyff would would gut the youth club/college scholarship scam nexus' influence and force the ethnic leagues that run the states to think beyond their local beer leagues and actually get behind multi-state leagues like the USL, thus growing the number of professional clubs in this country? Gulati would have to either steal from the Fed or get oral from a boy scout in the middle of the AGM to get "fired" from his post. He is an elected official in a non-profit sport governing body, not a professional GM of a club, and since holding onto BB isn't costing the "evil" two-thirds of the sport's power structure in this country, I doubt Sunil is going anywhere until his term is up.

It's funner to just say 'Fire Gulati' though.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#18 Pablo Torres

Pablo Torres

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Supports:rochester rhinos

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

Go to the Fire Bob Bradely Facebook page and join! Great comments etc. There is also a Fire Sunil Gulati Facebook page... keep the pressure on these guys.

#19 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

Go to the Fire Bob Bradely Facebook page and join! Great comments etc. There is also a Fire Sunil Gulati Facebook page... keep the pressure on these guys.

Way ahead of you.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#20 Eric B

Eric B

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Doin' it for lulz > truth and facts

#21 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

I propose an MLS / Player's Union / USL backed coup of the USSF.

I've thought this was the way to go for some time now. It's silly that a federation and it's leagues are not in sync.

#22 Eric B

Eric B

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Other than decertifying US Soccer and getting FIFA, the USOC, and Congress (by way of the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act) to approve of a new governing body, (which has happened in Team Handball and almost happened in Cricket), eliminating the influence of the bottom-up types (youth and strictly amateur leagues) is for soccer to become so popular that they're made irrelevant, but that's a real chicken-and-egg thing...

#23 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

I am very happy about the US team getting to the Confederations Cup Final. Our guys work very hard and this game was no exception. Most of the time it doesn't happen this way for our guys, but this time the breaks broke in our direction more often than not FOR A CHANGE. We've gotten the short end of the stick pretty often and it seemed we never got a break when we needed it before...so we made it.

Without maligning our guys who work their asses off (usually...)(looking at you Sacha), wouldn't you like to expect success more often without simply praying for lucky breaks?

Do you think the 'US Soccer Football Association' is making meaningful incremental progress in a satisfying way?
Or do you think the Federation is bogged down in amateur self interests and can't see the forest for the trees?

Really, I am asking. I have my suspicions, but I really don't know.

Anyway, getting real change within the US Soccer Federation, change that will prioritize success in the National Teams, seems akin to 'simplifying the tax code' or 'fixing Social Security'.

Without our elevation of the expectations of those who operate the apparatus that guides our Soccer machine, there is no hope of things becoming any different.

FIRE SUNIL GULATI
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#24 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

I don't think that changing things would be easy. I am actually quite thankful for parent run soccer in the United States. If it wasn't for parent controlled soccer, we wouldn't have the growth of soccer we've experienced. Parent run soccer has taken the US as far as it can go.

There are a huge number of potential national team players that simply don't have access to the USSF apparatus. A few of these guys are on the National team now, DeMerit and Feilhaber for example, but there are many more who never get the chance.

Major League Baseball has a model that I think would work well for soccer. It includes the parent run organizations (Little, Pony and American Legion leagues), high schools and colleges, and the minor and major leagues. Players in the Olympics and World Championships are basically amateurs, because the rest of the world is weak in baseball, but there is no reason those teams couldn't come from the pros for soccer.

I don't share Eric B's nearly total pessimism about changing the system. I think we are actually quite close to having something that can work very well. Wresting power from the parent run organization will only happen when serious money can be brought to the table. That will begin to happen when MLS becomes stronger.

Here is what I think can be done:
  • Either USL and MLS become partners or merge.
  • MLS acquire USL minor league teams (ie. MLB)
  • MLS/USL develop relationships with colleges (ie. MLB)
  • MLS/USL development academies work with high schools and colleges.
  • A unified soccer season is established for high school and college.
  • MLS/USL coopt the US Open Cup, or offer an alternative.

Notice that no mention is made of the club soccer or AYSO system in these suggestions. For a while this will set up a dual system. The "haves" will continue to pay huge sums of money for their kids to play club soccer. The "have nots" will have an alternative route to professional soccer through the MLS/USL, MLS/USL academies and high school and college soccer. MLS/USL will poach the best coaches from club soccer because they will have a better opportunity to advance up through the system. Referees will be developed through the MLS/USL system because they will have all levels of play. Serious players of all ability levels will have equal access through the MLS/USL system. The MLS and USL really don't have to change what they are doing.

Eventually players from the parent run clubs will realize that the best route to professional soccer, college soccer, or any other kind of meaningful soccer, leads through the MLS/USL infrastructure. USSF will have to select the players that perform best professionally. Eventually the MLS/USL will assume dominant control over US Soccer. And, I think it could happen relatively quickly if the USL teams and the MLS teams make this happen.

#25 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

Anyway, getting real change within the US Soccer Federation, change that will prioritize success in the National Teams, seems akin to 'simplifying the tax code' or 'fixing Social Security'.

I think that's a great analogy, Mr Pink.

FIRE SUNIL GULATI

Perhaps los fuerzas armadas de Honduras can help.

#26 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

How about now?

#27 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

How about now?

If we lose...especially, badly...on August 12, I say it's time to "clean house" and start with Gulati & Bradley <_< Then, we hire Klinsmann or do whatever we have to do, to get Hiddink from Russia, and give them TOTAL control!

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#28 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

This never happened under good ole' Dubya. Just sayin... ;)

#29 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

This never happened under good ole' Dubya. Just sayin... ;)

http://voices.washin...ati_speaks.html more with gulati...

mls rumors had this thing about the corruption of the USSF... just go there if you want... i'm too lazy to bring a link

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#30 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

That's sad... he threw his own players under the bus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users