#121 cesar

cesar

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

fucken dhines, hate to agree with you but maybe once you are right. Gulati may be another Lalas when he was with the Gs.

#122 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

Great analysis. The rank and file of USSF, the pay to play machine is HUGE and generates a ton of money (it would be interesting to find out how much is spent each year). Right now MLS probably doesn't have the resources to fight that. As a guy who rejected the pay to play model, having been part of it for several years, it will take a very strong professional league indeed. It has to reach the place where the MLS youth teams are so much better than the pay to play teams that there is no future in the pay to play approach.

Secondly, the MLS has to make it more than possible for kids in the development programs to get a college degree. Kids need to see that making an MLS youth development team means either a chance at the pros at a young age or a college degree. That is what the pay-to-play machine preaches and the put thousands of kids into college soccer programs each year (many kids go to NAIA, D2, D3). It works really well for the pay-to-play engine as long as there are a few guys like Franklin, Griffin, etc. that get a degree and play professionally.

Finally, the USSF Division II teams need to get into the youth development grind as well. When this happens it will further erode the pay-to-play infrastructure. Unfortunately, we are on our 5th attempt at a professional soccer league in the United States since the 1950 miracle match and all the while the pay-to-play market grew, fueled by the hope of a college education, despite the fact that a miniscule number of players actually get full ride scholarships. Usually other factors such as academics, ethnicity, field of study, etc. make the soccer portion of the package quite small.

My first passion was the development of a viable professional league before the end of my lifetime (53 years and counting). That seems to have happened much sooner than I thought it would due to the genius of the single entity approach and worldwide TV coverage. Now my passion has turned to the shift to a real soccer development infrastructure fueled by the hope of a professional career and driven by the professional teams (MLB, NFL, NBA). The evidence of this shift will come when guys like Beckenbaur replace guys like Gulati, coaches like Klinsman or even Sigi (who should have been given a USMNT shot a long time ago), replace guys like Bradley. We'll know when players like Torres, who is an important part of one of the best teams in the Western Hemisphere, become central figures in our national team. Until then it is pay-to-play right up to the very top, with that little MLS thing on the side to help out.

"Oh by the way you can go to Europe and remain in consideration, but don't you dare go to Mexico to become a player. You just won't fit in very well."

#123 BassplayersFC

BassplayersFC

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Supports:B&GFC

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Federal court ruling threat to U.S. Soccer's authority

The best part is the end.

Pryor Cashman, the law firm representing the creditors, called Judge Leinenweber's ruling "a landmark sports law and antitrust ruling" and is moving ahead with the lawsuit in U.S. District Court. Pryor Cashman attorney Jamie Brickell told the Wall Street Journal that he plans on soon deposing U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati.

#124 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Federal court ruling threat to U.S. Soccer's authority

The best part is the end.

This is a step toward the way it is in the rest of the world. I will remove the USSF from oversight of MLS and MLS will install a FIFA sanctioning body for professional soccer in the United States. As they say, the ripple effect will be felt all the way down U-12. USSF will still be able to sanction the Olympics, but they will be totally dependent upon MLS. Never thought about the idea that parent-run soccer could be ejected by the courts. Not a bad approach really.
:cheers:

#125 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Who else smells settlement?

#126 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

Who else smells settlement?

Unfortunately me! Dang it! I like the idea of the courts pulling down USSF. I wonder what remedy is being sought. It looks as if the litigant is out for blood. Of course the defendant is a Columbia law professor. This could get interesting.

Maybe they should call Grumpy's buddy Jack and offer him a bribe make this mess go away. Just a thought! :pint:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users