• 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   

Heads up, I'm gonna steal using ASCII art in my profile signature.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Samesies. Would love some background behind the vague coachspeak.

My thought is it had less to do with skill, more to do with player loyalty and Mike Petkes reputation with his bosses.

Kimura was signed by Mike Petke. Kimura was identified (played together remember) by Petke and had got managements "OK" to trade for him. Further, Petke got Kimura to renegotiate his contract to fit under cap. That's a lot of loyalty between the 2. I'd fear if Petke cut Kimura, it would of been read negatively by the dressing room. Lost a bit of trust. Also, trading and quickly cutting Kimura would not of been viewed favorably by management.

Gene Wolters

Gene Wolters

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

My thought is it had less to do with skill, more to do with player loyalty and Mike Petkes reputation with his bosses.

Kimura was signed by Mike Petke. Kimura was identified (played together remember) by Petke and had got managements "OK" to trade for him. Further, Petke got Kimura to renegotiate his contract to fit under cap. That's a lot of loyalty between the 2. I'd fear if Petke cut Kimura, it would of been read negatively by the dressing room. Lost a bit of trust. Also, trading and quickly cutting Kimura would not of been viewed favorably by management.

Petke identified Barklage too. He's the whole reason Barklage signed here.

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Petke identified Barklage too. He's the whole reason Barklage signed here.

True. It can't be easy for Petke to have to chose between who stays and who goes.

Especially Barklage. Cast off from the dcscum, he fought his way onto the roster and then into a starting position. A minimum salaried player whose career nearly wrecked by injury made it at New. York. Red. Bull.  Hell, a player I could say "that could be me out there!" (if I had youth, athleticism and skill on my side)

And now he's gone. Whether it's the roster cap, or better skilled player, or coaches favorite...it does not matter, hes suddenly gone. No more talk of "Barks". No more one of "us".

As I said, I don't know how Petke swings the ax. Personally, I've a hard job "unfollowing" ex-players. Yes, I know Tyler Ruthven & Heath Pearce are still looking for a job and that Brandon Barklage and his wife & doggie are enjoying life on the West coast.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The fact that we were able to negotiate Kimura's contract down had to be the major factor here. 

Gene Wolters

Gene Wolters

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Bh6Z94ECcAAHzdd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users